Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Navi+ sound ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navi+ sound ???

When you load song onto a SD card and put it in, do the song titles display in some sort of menu?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Yes

I simply dragg chosen tracks from my iTunes on my Mac to the SD card which is inserted into a small SUNDISK drive. When I put the SD card into the Audi slot it take a bit of time to load in (depending how many songs you have included). Sometimes it can take a half minute each time you srat you car again, and sometimes immediate? The song list comes up twice , the second list being the actual tracks to be played. Ther songs play in Alpha order or you can select a random mix. Don't know if you can separate per album. I guess I should read the instructions.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:20 AM

Default You can create playlists (folders), but it's not a perfect system...

One problem I have is that the car player can only read MP3 (MPEG) files, so if you keep your iTunes in AAC/MP4 format (like the protected iTunes songs), you have to convert them to MP3.

To answer your question, you have a choice of displaying the song title (assuming you have the information in the info tags in your MP3s) or the filename. That's a hit or miss prospect with files downloaded from a sharing service -- most are missing the info tags and/or have ugly filenames, like "01_My_Song.mp3".

The system works well, but is a little quirky -- for example:
-- the car will take large SD cards (I think only 256MB are recommended, but I use two 1Gb cards). That can take a minute to load up each time (unless you leave the radio on SD and the tunes stays loaded).
-- if you put the MP3 player in MIX mode then hit advance, it will take the player out of MIX mode and you have to go through several menus to get it back.
-- You can scroll through your list while playing a song (without changing the track), but after a certain delay (10 secs maybe), the list goes back to the current song. This can be frustrating when you have a 1GB card and hundreds of songs.

To organize playlists, just create a file folder on the SD card and give it a name. This is probably a better option for large cards and many files.

Overall, the system works, but it's not as flexible as having my iPod with me. I like the display of the song title in the instrument cluster and the in-Nav display, though. I'll still integrate my iPod when a suitable adapter comes out.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just bought myself an SD yesterday. I hope

it works w/o any hiccups. I got a 512MB SanDisk card for a good price.