Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Ryan, Len, and anyone else who wants credit for the radar install...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryan, Len, and anyone else who wants credit for the radar install...

I'd like to install a switch to turn the detector on and off....does it matter if I install the switch between the detector, and the Y for the resistor and LED....or if the switch is between this Y and the fuse? Seems to me that it doesn't matter. I was going to install it between the detector and the Y, only because i've got most of it wired already and that is easier...although, it seems a little more logical to put it between the Y and the fuse...cut power to everything...

but cutting power just to the detector should do the trick, correct?

any ideas on switch location? I was thinking of installing very low on the dash (underneath almost) by your left knee...also thinking of possibly in front of the stick in the center console....thoughts?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default a lot of people are posting about installing switches for their subwoofers,

stereo systems, radar detectors. I just don't get it. switches are for lights! but, if you want a switch, go for it.

I'd go fuse tap -> fuse -> switch -> out to everything else. this way the oem switch and the radar detector both turn off. the oem switch led light would otherwise light up, with the detector turned off or not plugged in. strange but true.

and I think your idea for the location is perfect. close to you, and close to the fuse box.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default is the LED on all the time? or just when the detector goes off?

If it's on all the time, agreed, will cut power to all, I thought it was just when the detector went off. Does it just get brighter during radar?

If I'm driving around town, I don't like having the detector on...having it hardwired is a pain to unplug, as i have it low, long reach...

the X50 saved me about 10 tickets on my San Fran Salt Lake trip on Wednesday...the thing is amazing...love it.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

nevermind....actually "looked" at the diagram...obvious...
Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default no it's normally off. and

when there is an alert, it blinks! when u press mute, the sounds obviously mute, and the blink still occurs until the alert is over. it's exactly how the smartcord would react.