Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Stiff brake pedal anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff brake pedal anyone?

After 3 visits to the dealer for the same issue, I am desperate for some help.

Issue started about a month ago. One morning when I started driving, I immediately noticed that the car wasn't braking as usual. The initial 20% pedal travel was okay, then it was more of a on/off brake - not much chance for modulation. Beyond the 20%, I need to put a lot of pressure on the pedal to stop the car from speed. Esp. in the evenings, it can get stiff enough that I honestly think I might break the pedal at full brake! It is feels significantly weaker to me that I avoid highways.

1st Visit 3 weeks ago - Technician said they've seen some bad vacuum pipes with A3's and asked me if the brake was esp. bad in the mornings and if it got better the more I drove it. I told him it was bad in the morning but worse in the evenings and usually got worse the longer I drove. Dealer replaced vacuum pipe. Pedal was relatively soft when I picked up the car but problem returned next day.

2nd Visit 2 weeks ago - Replaced brake booster and bled lines. Part was not in stock so car was at dealer for 7 days. Pedal felt great when I picked up but within 3 days problem came back.

3rd Visit this week - Replaced vacuum pipe (again!). They think the original replacement was defective. I asked that they keep the car for as long as needed to test the brakes. They said they did, but on the way home this evening brakes have stiffened up again. Sigh. I had an A3 loaner for the past 4 days and the feel in the brakes was like night and day.

I have been really patient with my service dept. because they have been good to me in the past but I can't believe an issue that could be potentially dangerous still hasn't been resolved.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? One of the warranty invoices had a note 'customer has wheel spaces installed'. They haven't brought this up in person but I've had the spacers since March w/o any issues.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Stiff brake pedal anyone?

Wheel spacers should not affect braking systems unless you managed to hit a line during the wheel swap-out.

Sounds like they need to trace the problem back, start with the calipers, then the lines, booster, MC, etc and see where the problem is.

The most important thing is the dealer has acknowledged there is a problem, this will be helpful as you pursue the solution. Can you try a different Audi dealer and see if their tech people can find the problem with a different set of eyes?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks. Going back for another appt. tomorrow morning...

Service advisor was apologetic when I called on Friday. I am going to tell them tomorrow morning that this will be the last attempt for their service technician to get it right. I was on the way to Buffalo NY on Sat. and turned around halfway when the brake started acting up again. It's very scary on the highway because after cruising for a while I never know how much braking power I will get when I hit the brakes.