Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2015 A3/S3 Automatic Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 A3/S3 Automatic Headlights

Does anybody know if the headlights, when in automatic mode, turn on when I turn the windshield wipers on? I live in Southern CA and when it rains (the 3 times a year that it does) it's usually also pretty sunny, but the law says if my windshield wipers are on, then my lights need to be on as well, so I'm just curious if I need to manually turn on my headlights, or if I turn on my windshield wipers, will my headlights automatically turn on regardless of how much light there is outside? Thanks guys!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HockeyCrazi
Does anybody know if the headlights, when in automatic mode, turn on when I turn the windshield wipers on? I live in Southern CA and when it rains (the 3 times a year that it does) it's usually also pretty sunny, but the law says if my windshield wipers are on, then my lights need to be on as well, so I'm just curious if I need to manually turn on my headlights, or if I turn on my windshield wipers, will my headlights automatically turn on regardless of how much light there is outside? Thanks guys!
I'm in Virginia and the same law applies.

The lights do not turn on with the auto wipers, you will need to turn them on manually.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HockeyCrazi
The rain is pretty crazy down here huh? I got several flash flood warnings on my phone this week!
Old 01-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tsyndr
The rain is pretty crazy down here huh? I got several flash flood warnings on my phone this week!
Crazy right?! Even had tornado warnings yesterday!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

enable DRL's

problem solved
Old 01-08-2016, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HockeyCrazi; Do you have the LED package on your car? I live in Ohio and the weather is generally gloomy here this time of year. Dark quite often as well. I have the LED package and actually just leave the lights on all the time. They shut off when you switch off the ignition obviously and even on a sunny day, the extra visibility doesn't hurt. DRLs should cover you however. You can enable that via the MMI.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
HockeyCrazi; Do you have the LED package on your car? I live in Ohio and the weather is generally gloomy here this time of year. Dark quite often as well. I have the LED package and actually just leave the lights on all the time. They shut off when you switch off the ignition obviously and even on a sunny day, the extra visibility doesn't hurt. DRLs should cover you however. You can enable that via the MMI.
Fixeroh: Yeah I have the LED package, I noticed they turn off when I turn the car off even if the switch is turned to the on position. I like that idea of just leaving it there and then I don't have to worry about it ever. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2016, 07:21 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Odd. On my arguably older design S6 and SQ5 the headlights set to auto do turn on with the rain sensing wipers in daylight rain scenarios. Not sure why they would have went backward and removed that feature.
They do not turn on for a single wipe, but if it truly raining and not drizzle the headlights do come on.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Set your headlight to AUTO, and you won't ever have to worry about a thing.

Every time moderate-to heavy rains comes here in the Midwest, it is cloudy enough outside when that precipitation began to trigger the auto windshield wipers that I kind of just know that my headlights are also on. Only exception is if this right in the middle of the day where either the sun is visible in the sky, or it is not so dark between 8AM-4PM as then only Daytime Running Lights are on. Usually if it's the latter, there's barely rain at all.

The easiest way to see what's happening for me is the interior lighting of the cup-holders. When ever they turn-on, the headlights have also turned on.
When ever they are off, only the Daytime Running Lights are on.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gamegenie
Set your headlight to AUTO, and you won't ever have to worry about a thing.

Every time moderate-to heavy rains comes here in the Midwest, it is cloudy enough outside when that precipitation began to trigger the auto windshield wipers that I kind of just know that my headlights are also on. Only exception is if this right in the middle of the day where either the sun is visible in the sky, or it is not so dark between 8AM-4PM as then only Daytime Running Lights are on. Usually if it's the latter, there's barely rain at all.

The easiest way to see what's happening for me is the interior lighting of the cup-holders. When ever they turn-on, the headlights have also turned on.
When ever they are off, only the Daytime Running Lights are on.
I agree. Between DRL and auto headlights, I have never had a concern with complying with NYS law which is similar requirement as OP's state. Usually when it rains, the outside light level will trip the photosensor and the headlights will be on.