Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Headlights switch off while turn indicator is on

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights switch off while turn indicator is on

I have noticed some cars shutting off one of their front lights to activate a blinker/Turn signals.This is an unpleasant thing to see and I was wondering if the Audi Q7 has a similar setup?If so does it happen even with the LED headlights? BMW doesn't have such a setup AFAIK.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

The Q7 shuts off the respective DRL when the indicator is used, then it fades back on when the indicator returns back to the nuetral position. It refered to as a wink. I think people are still searching to disable the winking with coding
Old 05-15-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cukoodukoo
I have noticed some cars shutting off one of their front lights to activate a blinker/Turn signals.This is an unpleasant thing to see and I was wondering if the Audi Q7 has a similar setup?If so does it happen even with the LED headlights? BMW doesn't have such a setup AFAIK.
No, in the Audi's the day time running light switches off when the signal comes on, not the headlight. Its ugly as sin if you ask me...
Old 05-15-2017, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you can disable the 'wink' via obd11. It doesn't really bother me.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw the Wink disable on the OBD11 as well, Doesn't bother me either though, I think it's safer that way so people can see your signal easier.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I saw the Wink disable on the OBD11 as well, Doesn't bother me either though, I think it's safer that way so people can see your signal easier.
Perhaps the design could be better? In BMW, the angel eyes remain on, even when the signal is on. In the Q, the turn signal is a thin amber led strip tightly packed between two thin white LED strips (the DRLs), or maybe its the same strip. I can see how this design would make it hard to see the signal if the DRLs are on.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
didn't see it when i used obd11 last. is it under apps?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cukoodukoo
Most VW group cars do this, even a 6th-gen Golf with non-LED DRLs does it. It's fairly common but also very ugly.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the rules changed a few years ago and the wink is now required when the turn signal and DRL are in the same housing. At least this is how I understand it.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If the Q7 DRL white lights are integrated with the orange turn signal lights on the same strips (like the A6), the wink disable cannot be done with VCDS as the bulbs are integrated dual color.

Quick Reply: Headlights switch off while turn indicator is on