Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 A3 is the car to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 A3 Cab. The only issue I have had is one of the water pumps failed. Apparently there are 2 pumps. Audi replaced both pumps under warranty. My car has very low miles, less than 7000.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2015 cab with about 17,000 miles. Only service issue I've had other than the one recall was a backup light failing. The dealer replaced it when I was in for the recall. Other than that, no problems.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2016 Cabrio, full load with tech... They replaced my led headlight on day 2 due to damage during transport... Day 3 a rock hit my windshield and made a small mark... not crack or chip... Going for my first service next Friday, I have 7,000Km or about 4-5,000 miles. No other issues...
Old 03-09-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2015 A3 has over 32,000 miles and it's getting the best mileage per gal ever.

None of these cars are to avoid, unless it's Diesel and even that is not as bad as it's stigma from being unclean.

Cornering lights? Unless you're driving a Euro A3 with those special cornering light feature, I doubt you have that. The US Premium and Premium Plus has non-Adaptive Bi-Xenons and the Prestige has LED with all weather lights.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie

Cornering lights? Unless you're driving a Euro A3 with those special cornering light feature, I doubt you have that. The US Premium and Premium Plus has non-Adaptive Bi-Xenons and the Prestige has LED with all weather lights.
My 2016 A3 cabriolet is the premium plus model with LED lighting package. I do have the adaptive head lights. It is one of my favorite features.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Consumer reports is great for washing machines and kitchen appliances. Not so great for cars.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ehanauer
Consumer reports is great for washing machines and kitchen appliances. Not so great for cars.

Yes and no. You have to remember that their reliability data is only driven by what their subscribers tell them in surveys, so it's not really scientific.

When we bought our Chrysler Sebring convertible new in 2000, CR gave it a very low reliability score, so we bought the aftermarket warranty to 100k. Owned it for 11 years and it was the most reliable car I ever had! Changed tires, brakes, a battery and wipers. That's it! When I bought my 2006 Mini Cooper S, they said it had better than average reliability. In 11 years of ownership it's been the least reliable car I ever owned! (and I didn't buy the extended warranty!).
Old 03-22-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Love my 2016 A3 ...

Originally Posted by Jjc23
I have a 16 premium plus and have had no issues at all with it (knock on wood). I also have a lot of aftermarket performance parts and it runs well. The only thing I have to replace is the motor and transmision mounts due to the increased HP which I am pushing over 315hp and makes the engine shake to much.
Agree with Jjc23, no issues at all and got my 2016 on 2015 Oct. 31st.

Hey Jjc23, will message you about how you got it to 315 HP as I am in that process now and not many tunes to get my 1.8T there.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2015 A3 2.0T cab. It hasn't been flawless, but so far I have been very happy with it.

--Had the driver-side door handle replaced as the unlock-by-touch feature stopped working in the rain.

--Had the seat airbag recall done, and had to bring it back as they failed to hook up one of the wiring harnesses when they put it back together.

--In the passenger seat, the feature that lets you slide the seat forward when you tilt it forward is stuck. I think that also dates to the airbag repair.

--It's developed a "clunk" sound in the right front wheel when turning to the stops and going from reverse to forward (i.e. when backing out of a parking space). Going to have that addressed at next service.

--last night the low oil light came on at just over 10k miles (about 5k miles since last oil change). I was 3/4th quart low. I don't love that amount of oil burn, but it doesn't seem uncommon in these cars. I was shocked to see that the manual says oil burn up to 1/2 quart every 600 miles is within limits!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davisflyer
Yes and no. You have to remember that their reliability data is only driven by what their subscribers tell them in surveys, so it's not really scientific.

When we bought our Chrysler Sebring convertible new in 2000, CR gave it a very low reliability score, so we bought the aftermarket warranty to 100k. Owned it for 11 years and it was the most reliable car I ever had! Changed tires, brakes, a battery and wipers. That's it! When I bought my 2006 Mini Cooper S, they said it had better than average reliability. In 11 years of ownership it's been the least reliable car I ever owned! (and I didn't buy the extended warranty!).
Since manufacturers are not required to release data, we have to rely on consumer reports. A large number of Chrysler brands and models have been at the bottom of almost all reliability lists for a long time. You were lucky and/or had an unnecessary expense in the extended warranty. It is hard to tell that up front. One friend who is usually a loyal Chrysler buyer feels the need to always buy an extended warranty. He has even done that when he has strayed to other brands known for their reliability. I think that says a lot about Chrysler that he will not admit.

That said, A3 is a rather low volume brand. The reporting group to any survey are even smaller. Most that do feel very strongly about their responses. There are some others that will respond to surveys because they like to. Sometimes that is because they really like their product. Other times it is to self justify their purchase. Those with problems are more motivated to respond. Numbers do not always balance.

Quick Reply: 2016 A3 is the car to avoid?