Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2019 RS3 delays and discounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So since I have actually studied automotive supply, and consulted for one of the pioneers on JIT inventory systems I can tell you the above is not accurate especially with the newer technologies. Paint color changes take almost no time, inventory shortages are very rare unless there is a major issue at which point most large OEM's have redundant suppliers and it very rarely happens and when it does they have ample notice. Also vehicles today are made so they are modular and that adding and removing options doesn't make a major change in the production of a vehicle.

My speculation(could be completely wrong as I have not worked a lot with VAG) from other ordering experience with BMW, Ford, Mazda are that the allocations people thought they had a year ago were merely just a dealer "pre ordering" cars and not actually gaining an allocation. Each allocation is a time slot in the system, the dealer has a few which are dealer sold and a few that are customer sold, dealer sold can be converted to customer sold but hold lower priority. Those who placed early orders potentially never even had an actual allocation on the production schedule, and now that we are close to production those orders got placed on the schedule potentially converting a dealer sold to customer sold. There are cases where they know supply for say a fixed suspension (since specific to a RS3) could delay the build to a later date but most parts on the car that are optional are also on a A3. My specific order was scheduled on the later part of the first run as I didn't want the car too early. My dealer did show me the 4 slots they had with production week est., 2 were customer sold the 2 others were dealer sold not locked which one of those is my car that got converted to customer sold thus moving the dates in a bit but not locked as Audi was still working on the production schedules. Again this is my speculation from what I have seen in other makes I have ordered and my experience when I worked in supply chain ops, for all I know VAG does something really screwy and just draw straws to see who gets a car.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:09 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by a4 4snow
So since I have actually studied automotive supply, and consulted for one of the pioneers on JIT inventory systems I can tell you the above is not accurate especially with the newer technologies. Paint color changes take almost no time, inventory shortages are very rare unless there is a major issue at which point most large OEM's have redundant suppliers and it very rarely happens and when it does they have ample notice. Also vehicles today are made so they are modular and that adding and removing options doesn't make a major change in the production of a vehicle.

My speculation(could be completely wrong as I have not worked a lot with VAG) from other ordering experience with BMW, Ford, Mazda are that the allocations people thought they had a year ago were merely just a dealer "pre ordering" cars and not actually gaining an allocation. Each allocation is a time slot in the system, the dealer has a few which are dealer sold and a few that are customer sold, dealer sold can be converted to customer sold but hold lower priority. Those who placed early orders potentially never even had an actual allocation on the production schedule, and now that we are close to production those orders got placed on the schedule potentially converting a dealer sold to customer sold. There are cases where they know supply for say a fixed suspension (since specific to a RS3) could delay the build to a later date but most parts on the car that are optional are also on a A3. My specific order was scheduled on the later part of the first run as I didn't want the car too early. My dealer did show me the 4 slots they had with production week est., 2 were customer sold the 2 others were dealer sold not locked which one of those is my car that got converted to customer sold thus moving the dates in a bit but not locked as Audi was still working on the production schedules. Again this is my speculation from what I have seen in other makes I have ordered and my experience when I worked in supply chain ops, for all I know VAG does something really screwy and just draw straws to see who gets a car.
a4 4snow,

Speaking ONLY for myself ............
I'm glad there are guys like you that post and share thoughts even if they might not turn out to be exactly what actually takes place.

Terry
Old 03-18-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a4 4snow

Your theory on allocation is what I have been thinking about as well. I ordered in November but know for a fact they did not have an allocation. The factory actually accepted my order 5/23, indicating I received allocation. When status shows "order wait list" it does not have allocation. When it shows "factory" it does.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Guys,

I wonder what mine actually means from what Audi Nashville received and sent/forwarded to me ???

Terry
Old 03-19-2019, 09:01 AM

Default How to Track Your Audi Factory Pre-Order .....

Greetings guys,

I was looking on You-tube as usual and stumbled on the below video.
If you have not seen this maybe it will be of some HELP, maybe ???

Terry
Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be far worse..... Porsche to Restart 911 GT2 RS Production After Cargo Ship Sinks With Cars On Board - The Drive
Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Can you imagine?

On another note I received an update today. Build week still confirmed at 1619 and thus far the delivery date has not slipped.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

New from the creators of Oak Island.,....... " The curse of the lost GT2RS's " lol
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help but laugh, talk about a PR nightmare and those owners probably waited even longer than us and paid several times more.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well finally heard back from audi usa, production complete April 23, ..so looking better Also signed up for the above program so we will see if we get any updates ect.

Quick Reply: 2019 RS3 delays and discounts