Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi 2019 RS3 on order January 5th 2019 ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Fixeroh,

I just read your above post about the APR tunes you have had.
I'm chuckling because I just got off the APR website to check what they have available for my 2017 Golf R.

Have you been happy with the APR tunes?
Any downsides?
Did you get the Stage 1 high-torque or low-torque package?
Did you also get the transmission tune?

I ask the above questions because if I understand things getting an APR tune means the warranty is voided.
Any comments you care to make would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 PM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
tigerhonaker; Congrats on your RS3 choice but very sorry to learn about the production schedule. The car is WORTH the wait! And perhaps Audi will resolve whatever issues are slowing the production down. I've had my RS3 since late June 2018. Came from a modified S3. Which I easily could have kept but really loved the RS3 more. After having done quite a bit of mod work on my S3, decided I did not wish to go that route with the RS3. Welllllll, I snuck in a Stage 1 tune from APR. Pretty sure it could give your former Hellcat a run for it's money. It's stupid fast now. But only when I want it to be. Can be very docile and civilized otherwise. That is what's special about this line of Audis. A great blend of practical and sporty. I went with the Nardo grey and black optics. Replaced the OEM blade wheels with black Oz Racing wheels. No other car in my area looks like this. But it's subdued. Can't say that for that Hellcat in your pictures! Damn, that's in your face yellow with Hellcat slathered on the sides. LOL. Bet it was fun however.

Again, congrats on your choice and good luck on getting into your car sooner than later.
Fixeroh,

The Yellow Hellcat was an exciting Muscle-Car true enough.
But, honestly the RS3 IMO would be a lot faster in the real world where the majority of us drive.
There simply is no substitute for Quattro !!!
There is (Manageable) power and then there is the Hellcat buddy.

And like you I have over the years highly modified all different cars.
I'm totally 100% over that.

The RS3 is so cool.

Terry
Old 01-14-2019, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasGolfR
Hello Fixeroh,

I just read your above post about the APR tunes you have had.
I'm chuckling because I just got off the APR website to check what they have available for my 2017 Golf R.

Have you been happy with the APR tunes?
Any downsides?
Did you get the Stage 1 high-torque or low-torque package?
Did you also get the transmission tune?

I ask the above questions because if I understand things getting an APR tune means the warranty is voided.
Any comments you care to make would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom
Hi Tom. I've have been super pleased with my APR purchases. Zero problems and tons of smiles. Started simple with Stage 1 but needed more. Got the downpipe, intake, and intercooler over a short spread of time and moved up to Stage 2+. I did get the TCU tune as well. Car was tremendous fun and super reliable. You will read horror stories about tunes on cars but I tried to be smart and I didn't beat up on my car. I've worked in US Air Force maintenance my entire life and maintenance is key to longevity. The modded S3 was simply a blast. I would have kept the car were it not for Audi releasing the RS3. Figured it would be my ultimate fun car, with a dash of practicality, before I had to start driving beige Buicks. And as much as I like my RS3, the S3 was actually quicker and more driveble. Could roll on the power better. RS3 is in your face go and stop, especially with my carbon ceramic brakes. Shoot me an instant message if you want more info but I give APR 2 thumbs up. Currently sporting an APR Stage 1 tune on my RS3. Don't feel like buying the hardware however to get outputs above Stage 1 however. Was addictive with the S3. You will find the same for the Golf R. Love the Golf R. You'll definitely enjoy it!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Hi Tom. I've have been super pleased with my APR purchases. Zero problems and tons of smiles. Started simple with Stage 1 but needed more. Got the downpipe, intake, and intercooler over a short spread of time and moved up to Stage 2+. I did get the TCU tune as well. Car was tremendous fun and super reliable. You will read horror stories about tunes on cars but I tried to be smart and I didn't beat up on my car. I've worked in US Air Force maintenance my entire life and maintenance is key to longevity. The modded S3 was simply a blast. I would have kept the car were it not for Audi releasing the RS3. Figured it would be my ultimate fun car, with a dash of practicality, before I had to start driving beige Buicks. And as much as I like my RS3, the S3 was actually quicker and more driveble. Could roll on the power better. RS3 is in your face go and stop, especially with my carbon ceramic brakes. Shoot me an instant message if you want more info but I give APR 2 thumbs up. Currently sporting an APR Stage 1 tune on my RS3. Don't feel like buying the hardware however to get outputs above Stage 1 however. Was addictive with the S3. You will find the same for the Golf R. Love the Golf R. You'll definitely enjoy it!
Fixeroh,

Thanks for the information on APR for Tom Cochran.
I will be sure to contact him right after I type this.
He doesn't check this site really frequently but he is Super interested in the APR enhancements.

Terry

Old 01-26-2019, 08:14 AM

Saturday January 26th,

Well for us that have the 2019 RS3 cars on order and are following the other threads discussing same.
There really is no-new-news on that front just yet.

That being the situation I have gone forward and started ordering myself some specific RS3 items when it does finally get here.
At least this passes some of the wait time for further news on Build & Delivery times.
Below is a cap I found and is exactly what I was looking for.
The cap came from an Audi Dealership in Florida.
It is a full coverage cap not like the ones that have the opening in the Bottom-Rear that let's a guy like me with hardly any hair get his head Burned-Up.
This also as you will see has No-Snaps or Velcro to adjust the size thank goodness.
Usually the ones that are made like the above ^^^ also have the hole in the rear bottom center I spoke of above.
Took some time and research to find this one but it is exactly what I was hoping it would be when it arrived yesterday afternoon.
Very well made and fits (Snug) so it will not Blow-Off on those windy days at Cars & Coffee or maybe an Audi event.
One of the main things I was looking for was some RED on a Black background to match up to my ordered Tango-Red RS3.
I also have ordered a specific RS3 Jacket that will be arriving in the next few weeks.
I hope it's like this cap and is like what I saw when placing the order.
If it is ???
It will also be a nice addition to add to my RS3 wear items.
This when seen in person is spot on guys ............

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-26-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Terry,
Nice cap, subtle and unique, which will match perfectly with your RS3.
Let's hope you get the car before the cap is worn out.
I read up on the WLTP new emissions and economy tests which are causing the delay and have to take my hat off to the bureaucrats in the EU for messing things up royally. One would think they could work more closely with the car companies to avoid causing such widespread production delays.
Look forward to seeing that jacket you ordered.

Fixeroh,
Thank you for the information you provided regarding the APR tunes.
I;m sorry I didn't respond to you more quickly. Too many alligators chasing me lately.
It was great to read your very positive comments about both the ECU and TCU tunes.
I still haven't decided if I will go ahead with the tunes as the Golf R is so ;much fun stock and I am reluctant to give up the factory warranty.
We shall see if the mod bug finally gets to me.
If I do it I would likely limit myself to the Stage 1 tune and the transmission tune.
Thanks again as your post was very encouraging.

My best to both of you,
Tom
Old 01-27-2019, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terry,
I read up on the WLTP new emissions and economy tests which are causing the delay and have to take my hat off to the bureaucrats in the EU for messing things up royally. One would think they could work more closely with the car companies to avoid causing such widespread production delays.

Fixeroh,
I;m sorry I didn't respond to you more quickly. Too many alligators chasing me lately.
It was great to read your very positive comments about both the ECU and TCU tunes.
I still haven't decided if I will go ahead with the tunes as the Golf R is so ;much fun stock and I am reluctant to give up the factory warranty.
If I do it I would likely limit myself to the Stage 1 tune and the transmission tune.

My best to both of you,
Tom
You won't regret the Stage 1 ECU and TCU tunes. I also have an APR stage 1 Golf R, and do feel like the car feels a bit "lighter" and more responsive with the tune. I don't feel like the power itself is too much different from stock, but I like the added responsiveness. That being said, I did wait until the 3 year warranty was up before I tuned it. About a month after tuning, my Haldex went bad. I was able to flash back to stock, and had no trouble getting the powertrain warranty to cover the fix, but I heard someone else with the same issue was denied due to a tune...
Old 01-28-2019, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dsedell,
Thanks for the feedback.
The more I think about it I will wait until the warranty is up before considering a tune.
The warranty issue would drive me nuts, likely killing any additional joy the tune would give.

Terry,
Hey, my friend, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
I'll no longer talk about the Golf R or APR here as your thread is about the wonderful Audi RS3.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 AM

Terry,
Tom,
I'll be posting pictures of that RS3 specific jacket once it arrives.
I hope it isn't misrepresented and is what it said it is.
If so it's going to be a pretty cool jacket for sure.
Of course in Red !!!

Fixeroh,

My best to both of you,
Tom
Originally Posted by dsedell
You won't regret the Stage 1 ECU and TCU tunes. I also have an APR stage 1 Golf R, and do feel like the car feels a bit "lighter" and more responsive with the tune. I don't feel like the power itself is too much different from stock, but I like the added responsiveness. That being said, I did wait until the 3 year warranty was up before I tuned it. About a month after tuning, my Haldex went bad. I was able to flash back to stock, and had no trouble getting the powertrain warranty to cover the fix, but I heard someone else with the same issue was denied due to a tune...
dsedell,

My buddy Tom and I/We both have the 2017 Gold R's.
Tom got his 1-day before we took delivery of ours.
He is really liking the Golf R and if it even had more of the (added responsiveness) you speak of he would possibly love it more.

Dsedell,
Thanks for the feedback.
The more I think about it I will wait until the warranty is up before considering a tune.
The warranty issue would drive me nuts, likely killing any additional joy the tune would give.

Terry,
Hey, my friend, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
I'll no longer talk about the Golf R or APR here as your thread is about the wonderful Audi RS3.
Below is Tom Cochran taking possession of his New 2017 Bright White Golf R in San Antonio, Texas.
He's a Happy Camper and loves driving it in the (Race) mode when he feels exceptionally Sporty.

Cheers,
Tom
Hey Tom,

No-Worries you know me after all these years I'm into discussions like this about the Golf R and the Stage-1 tune !!!
You guys post away if you like and I'll just sit back and ENJOY the discussions.

And here is us taking delivery of an identical Golf R here in Franklin, TN.

And make no mistake the Golf R is NOT mine it's actually my wife's car (Cathy) and she reminds me of that on occasion.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-06-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Just registered...Long time viewer but haven't posted here in years. I just posted on Audizine that my dealer emailed me today regarding the 2019 RS3 that I ordered January 16. Here it is:

"Just wanted to pass along an update for your RS3. It has been assigned a producion week and tentative delivery schedule. Your RS3 is slated to complete production the week of March 6th, scheduled to ship to the US on March 18th, with a tentative arrival at the port in Rhode Island April 1st - which would put it's arrival at the dealer potentially around April 10th or so (assuming no delays)."

From what I've been reading here and on Audizine, I was stunned to say the least that he mentioned delivery in April. We shall see, but wanted to post this to give everyone hope. lol

Quick Reply: Audi 2019 RS3 on order January 5th 2019 ...