Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Created a magnetic license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Created a magnetic license plate holder

I designed this license plate holder with a magnetic backing to hold the plate. The plate can be easily removed for taking pictures to post online, cleaning, or whatever. There's no chance of it falling off while driving but I guess someone could come steal it easier.. (although I do have front and rear dash cams with a battery backup)

I put a rubber edge trim around the plate to hide the sharp edge of the plate. If there is any interest I can post more about the parts needed. I think everything in total was about 25$ from amazon
Attached Images       
Old 08-27-2017, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting, this might be something that could open-up options for those of us cursed with a legal need for a front plate.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did something like this on my TT. So far it's held for 16 years!
Glued some magnets behind the grille mounting surface and the same on the back of the mounting plate. Then mount the plate as normal.

Scot

Last edited by zzcett; 08-28-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Add missing information
Old 08-28-2017, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clever work markN1689! Looks good; very clean. I know you dabble in electronics with your car as well. Need to devise a device which rotates your license plates - like Bond's Aston!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Clever work markN1689! Looks good; very clean. I know you dabble in electronics with your car as well. Need to devise a device which rotates your license plates - like Bond's Aston!
I totally thought that too
Old 08-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any options/suggestions for the new Q5 - for the front? We will likely purchase one in this weekend or so, but I like the clean look of the grille sans a license plate. I saw it can be ordered without a license plate, otherwise they are installed and leave a "gap" in the trim if you take the plate off. Unfortunately here in IL a front plate is required so I'm trying to think of some options to get around this.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Attempting to do this since the P/O of my vehicle stripped out one of the bracket holes by over tightening!

Here are the parts I'm going to use:

Mounting Plate:
Amazon Amazon

Magnets:
Amazon Amazon

Door Edge Guard
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

nice! I hope it works. It should go fine. And I forgot to mention that I can also use screws to secure it in place as an extra layer of protection if worried it may get stolen. But it holds way strong enough by itself. Post pics when complete
Old 04-25-2019, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wrapped this up over the weekend. Took bout 30 minutes. I struggled a bit to get the magnets to stay attached to the bracket when removing the license plate due to the magnets being so strong, so I ended up gluing them onto the bracket. I also added a layer of 3m tape to the magnets on the back of the license plate to increase the distance between the magnets. These things are no joke! In fact, I got the 2 big magnets stuck together and couldn't get them apart.

There is some minor drilling, cutting and sanding (with dremel) required (see pics below), but overall pretty straight forward. Now I just need to install the bracket onto the car, but it looks so good without it!

Pics:

Holes drilled on left and right to match OEM bracket mounting points (if you use the existing slots, the bracket sits higher than the OEM bracket and interferes with the camera a bit

Razor blade used, but you can use a dremel with a cut off wheel

Pry off pieces, or use dremel to cut them off.

Consider adhesive to mount these magnets! The provided 3m mounting tape was not enough to keep them in place when removing the license plate

Voila!

Last edited by jd_nardors3; 04-25-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

haha so awesome. I actually used 5 minute epoxy for the magnetic plates. I also used the epoxy to glue in the magnets,