Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-09-2016, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Deciding between a Golf R or an S3- Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Rossness
Howdy,

This is my first post on this forum and I could use some help. Over the last year, I've driven just about every car (and a few trucks) under $60k in search of my next car. My favorites were the E92 BMW M3 and the Corvette Stingray coupe. However those two come with compromises and have a high price for the options I want. I also live in New England and might want AWD for our winters. As I've gotten older and had more expenses (Like a house), money isn't what it used to be, and I need to conserve a little. I also have a rare congenital orthopedic medical problem with my feet, meaning a car with a clutch is not going to work for me.

Originally, I hadn't looked at either the Audi or VW. My dad is on his 4th Audi (A6, A6 Turbo, 2010 S4, 2013 S4). He currently has a 2013 S4 and I'm not a fan. Its big and bulky and doesn't come alive unless its driven hard and fast. I had it up in the triple digits once and that was fun However on a regular bassis, Its not for me. I like something lighter and more nimble.

Anyhow, I drove a 2016 S3 on a whim and quite enjoyed it. It reminded me of the old B5 S4 in all the good ways. I think it might be a major contender for my next car. It was fast, handled well and had a great dual-clutch. That also brings me to the VW Golf R. I sat in a [sold] one but wasn't able to drive it. Does it drive identically to the S3???? I drove a regular GTI and wasn't impressed at all. It drove ok, but I like a car that feels darty and less refined than the GTI. Conversely, I liked the S3 a lot. If the Golf R drives just like the S3 or better and less like a GTI, it might be a no-brainer to get one.

On Audi's, I hate the Nav system and MMI. The S3 has a unique pop-up screen, so replacing it with an aftermarket unit by pioneer or kenwood would be an issue. On the Golf R, I hear the Nav system is crap, but its a double-din and a replacement unit should be easy enough. The golf R also has more useable room being a hatch. It doesn't come with a sunroof, so I'f I wanted one, I'd have to cut a hole in the roof for an aftermarket unit. The S3 has a sunroof- its a big thing for me. I use a sunroof all the time.

What says the audi forum? I did not like the GTI when I drove it, but I liked the S3. How similar is the Golf R to the Audi in terms of feel? Which one would you get? Also, how are the sport seats in the S3? Are they like the recaro's in the S4?

For reference, My current car is a 2012 Mini Clubman John Cooper Works. I'm interested in getting a new car because my car as such a harsh ride and its wearing on me among other things. It also sucks in the snow (with snow tires).
Hi! I traded my E90 M3 for a 2016 S3. I traded it for two main reasons. First it was a lot more expensive to maintain than my E46 M3. Secondly, the E90 M3 was tough to enjoy without being on a racetrack/driving like an *******. Sure it's an amazing car but it's rather impractical as a daily driver.

When shopping the S3 I considered the Golf R mainly because you can get a full manual transmission with the Golf R. However I quickly leaned toward the Audi because I like the sophistication of the Audi over the boy racerish Golf R. The main reason though, was that the VW dealer that I called said that I could expect delivery around Feb 2016! I could not wait that long. After owning the S3 almost two months, I'm not sure a full manual would be a good thing in this particular car.

I also cross shopped a new STi, but again I bagged that because of the styling, and I've already had an STi. I had it for 6 months and it brought me many tickets.

All in all, I'm really happy with the S3! I can't think of anything new that I would have rather had for the same money.

Have you considered the Focus RS? You should be able to get your hands on one of those around the same time the Golf R's are released.

Happy shopping.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scutchins
FYI I'm a former licensed motorcycle roadracer, and plan on tracking the S3.
Hey, I raced bikes too... the S3 keeps me pretty happy, doesn't have the growl of my Ducatis, but I can drink water and drive at the same time.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just for grins, I stopped by the local VW dealer while I was getting my 15K mile service on my S3 and the sales manager said each US dealer was allotted one (1) Golf R for the year. He did offer a 2013 Golf R with close to 30K miles for $8K less than a new R 😬

I asked about ordering and he said at least 180 days to delivery w/o markup. Good for VW, but I'm thrilled with my S3 and personally feel it's well worth the price diff over the R.

Last edited by m3brad; 09-23-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Hey, I raced bikes too... the S3 keeps me pretty happy, doesn't have the growl of my Ducatis, but I can drink water and drive at the same time.
Good choice, Ducati is my favorite brand. I have a 1200 Multistrada now. I raced an Aprilia RSV Mille and a built Hawk GT Honda.

My license plate:

Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We looked/ drove the Golf R and S3 before deciding on the S3 , the interior and MMI sold us on the S3.
We are currently towards the end of a 3 week journey with our S3 from Michigan to Florida and back up the east coast .
S3 has been awesome ! We initially were going to get a base S3 , ended up with a pretty loaded car , don't regret any of the options , love the MMI and its features like points of interest etc . Love the in car wifi , love the performance and handling , great mileage and an amazing amount of storage capacity with the seats down . We also find the SS Seats to be very comfortable on a long trip .
It's our first Audi and so far we are very impressed.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scutchins
Good choice, Ducati is my favorite brand. I have a 1200 Multistrada now. I raced an Aprilia RSV Mille and a built Hawk GT Honda.

My license plate:
NICE! Love it, maybe I should get the CA version of that plate (oh I am sans duck right now, trying to decide what's next, the Hawks were fantastic bikes.) they say imitation is the best flattery. But I don't steal without asking.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2015, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arU4ic
NICE! Love it, maybe I should get the CA version of that plate (oh I am sans duck right now, trying to decide what's next, the Hawks were fantastic bikes.) they say imitation is the best flattery. But I don't steal without asking.
Do it, you have my permission!

But you owe me a beer if I'm ever out there. Maybe two, it's a stellar plate!