Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Defroster vents not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defroster vents not working

I have notice over the last couple of weeks that my top (windshield) vents are not functioning. The dash and lower vents seem to be blowing air and working just fine. When the defrost or upper windshield vents are selected, I can hear the blower running and air moving behind the dash, but nothing comes out the top.
I'm assuming there are three separate stepper motors for the flaps to direct the air, I'm also assuming one of the three (for the top) is the culprit. Since two of the three are fine, I'm guessing it's not a fuse, but I don't have an owners manual to verify these are all on the same fuse either.

Does anyone have any insight to this? I'm really hoping the dash doesn't have to come apart to access this if the motor is indeed bad!

2015 A3 TDI
The following users liked this post:
born2run (01-21-2023)
Old 01-08-2020, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same issue and it was a bad motor. I'm not sure how hard the repair was because it was done under warranty, but the dealer tech said they were able to get to it from behind the glovebox (the dash didn't have to come out.)
The following users liked this post:
born2run (01-21-2023)
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks!

I did a little looking online, I'm thinking this might be the part?

Adjust Motor
Part Number: 5Q0-907-511-D
Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is the other way around its been stock with the defroster on! if that is the part please let me know, I have removed my glovebox before, its kind of easy although I did not remove the airbag that it has attached. (couldn't figure it out )
Old 01-24-2020, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same exact issue on my 2015 S3. Interestingly enough back in December the motor part was on back order... makes me wonder if this is a common issue on the “3” series vehicles. Anyway cost to repair through dealer was around $425.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Country of origin?

Originally Posted by BeeEss
I had the same issue and it was a bad motor. I'm not sure how hard the repair was because it was done under warranty, but the dealer tech said they were able to get to it from behind the glovebox (the dash didn't have to come out.)

Do you guys have a US vehicle and with or w/o dual zone climate control?
I have a US a3 with dual, dealer showed the top motor on the drivers side to be the defrost, replaced it and no go. All the British vids I see say behind the glove box also.
Wanted to make sure before I dig in again.
Thanks guys!!
Old 02-13-2021, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fred Manning
Do you guys have a US vehicle and with or w/o dual zone climate control?
I have a US a3 with dual, dealer showed the top motor on the drivers side to be the defrost, replaced it and no go. All the British vids I see say behind the glove box also.
Wanted to make sure before I dig in again.
Thanks guys!!
Hi Fred,
Yes, 2015, US, with dual CC. I did the replacement. You have to remove the glovebox/media unit. It was a semi PITA. It took it apart before before ordering the part to make sure I ordered the right one. I believe there were 2 or 3 on that side. Once it was apart I manually moved the flapper from the motor to confirm it worked. I do seem to recall it was the top motor. The updated part was 5WA-907-511-B, around $140 shipped, but worth every penny to have it fixed! GL!
Old 01-05-2024, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope everyone is OK with reviving the old thread but perhaps folks are running into this issue more frequently as the vehicles age. I did the job today using an actuator motor from RockAuto with good success. I did not want to take this on and put in an 'Amazon special' that would fail in a month and Rock Auto has a pretty decent reputation for not using knock off parts (just don't get into a Dorman debate).

The job is not horrible but the top screw on the actuator is a little bit of a challenge. I did disconnect the battery since there are air bag connectors on the glove box and I also left those attached so as not to mess with those connectors. Once the glove box was resting on the passenger side floor the actuator is pretty visible up and to the left of the cabin air filter slot, the topmost actuator I could see. Removing and replacing the two screws holding it in place is a little tedious but I used a torx bit on my 1/4 ratchet and it was not too difficult to remove and replace them, just have to work at odd angles. Take the actuator motor off first and then disconnect the electrical connector, it's easier that way.

All in it took about an hour to get it done and for about $85 it was worth the effort. I did take the old one apart just to see what was up and the motor was fine when I ran it with a 9 volt battery but something on the potentiometer must have gone wrong since it work just fine out of the vehicle. Maybe something to do with the end points.