Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Engine Oil Sump Heater-will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Engine Oil Sump Heater-will it fit?

I am thinking of installing a 250 watt silicone heating to the bottom of the sump (2.0 TFSI S3). The pad size is 3-1/2 " x 5-1/8" and is attached via adhesive. Can anyone tell me if the sump bottom bottom is flat (or ribbed?) , large enough to accept the pad? Better yet, has anyone done this? The reason for the installation is that during the winter short trips do not warm the oil enough to evaporate the condensed moisture from the oil , so I end up driving longer to get the oil hot. I like the oil temp to reach at least 200 deg.F
From long ago my experience with condensation (the oil/condensate saponify) in old V-8's says that this is very hard on the engine. But back then the engines were pretty tolerant and a lot more of crank case waste was just sent to the environment. I suspect from the comments here that modern engines, particularly close tolerance turbos are much more sensitive and maybe account for some of the engine troubles mentioned on this forum.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you are way overthinking this. Any adhesive stuck to a hot oil pan will fail. Unless you live in Alaska, don't lose sleep over condensation and short trips. You drive longer just to get the oil hot? Really? Enjoy your car. Use the proper oil, and be happy.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

There's no way one of those glue on heaters is going to get the oil that hot. I have the same worries, but honestly, unless you're romping on it in sub freezing weather, the oil isn't going to get over 215f. also consider that the synthetic oil is much better at dealing with the minimal water vapor your engine might make.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jermarTT
I believe you are way overthinking this. Any adhesive stuck to a hot oil pan will fail. Unless you live in Alaska, don't lose sleep over condensation and short trips. You drive longer just to get the oil hot? Really? Enjoy your car. Use the proper oil, and be happy.
Some people claim that the pad works (some even on older cars w/o plastic fairings). Do you have experience with these?
Old 11-21-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
There's no way one of those glue on heaters is going to get the oil that hot. I have the same worries, but honestly, unless you're romping on it in sub freezing weather, the oil isn't going to get over 215f. also consider that the synthetic oil is much better at dealing with the minimal water vapor your engine might make.
I am not expecting higher temp than 65 deg. F from the heater, say after 3 hr. heat cycle. From experience at 65 deg. it takes about 5 miles for the oil to reach 200 deg. but at 32 deg. it takes twice as far. The question I still have not got an answer is the oil pan bottom smooth. Oil gumming up in cold weather and short trips has been a problem even for modern cars e.g. Toyota Camry which requires synth. oil. This will be an inexpensive experiment if the pad can be attached. Clearly it's a bet but a small one.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2010 I purchased a Calix block heater for my A3. I tried to do the same thing for my RS3 last year, but could not manage it. Instead I went with a puck block heater which attaches to the oil pan. My understanding is that the puck attaches to the side of my metal pan with a magnet. The silicone is a backup to the magnet. I was told the unit generates a lot of heat and to use it for a maximum of 2 hours. Some Audis use a plastic oil pan which may make this product unsuitable. As well, I suspect that you will find the clearance between the belly pan and the oil pan is tight.

Funny you should mention the Camry engine sludge problems. I drove Toyotas for 25 years in Canada. There was never a sludge problem in Canada. The reason was that Canadians were required to follow a severe maintenance schedule. US owners changed their oil once a year, while Canadians were required to change the oil twice as often (set out in the severe schedule). Many car makers provide a severe schedule (GM used a severe schedule for the Vibe). Audi does not provide any information about a severe schedule or who should follow one.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steve111b
In 2010 I purchased a Calix block heater for my A3. I tried to do the same thing for my RS3 last year, but could not manage it. Instead I went with a puck block heater which attaches to the oil pan. My understanding is that the puck attaches to the side of my metal pan with a magnet. The silicone is a backup to the magnet. I was told the unit generates a lot of heat and to use it for a maximum of 2 hours. Some Audis use a plastic oil pan which may make this product unsuitable. As well, I suspect that you will find the clearance between the belly pan and the oil pan is tight.

Funny you should mention the Camry engine sludge problems. I drove Toyotas for 25 years in Canada. There was never a sludge problem in Canada. The reason was that Canadians were required to follow a severe maintenance schedule. US owners changed their oil once a year, while Canadians were required to change the oil twice as often (set out in the severe schedule). Many car makers provide a severe schedule (GM used a severe schedule for the Vibe). Audi does not provide any information about a severe schedule or who should follow one.
Good point re possibility oil sump is plastic. Vendor says model below is suitable if it fits. So ???
See Canadian Polar Pad for pad installation. Amazon reviews are positive.
Re sludge buildup in cold weather: If you are old enough to have owned//maintained engines in the mid 60s when positive crankcase vents became mandatory and you did valve adjustment or distributor maintenance you will have seen how much sludge collects inside valve covers, dist.plates. Of course today's engines have much better fuel management -> so less sludge. What I did notice is the difference in sludge accumulation winter to summer which possibly is still a factor. I had a Camry and changed oil every 6 months and oil filter every 12 (Toyota said 6 months) and dis d not experience problems and I looked.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Finally. From a reliable source (Audi dealer employee), the 2.0 TFSI oil sump is plastic and ribbed. So stick-on pad would not work. Vendor gave wrong info. Maybe this detail may help someone else. Interesting that with so many views no one commented with actual experience.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One reason for the lack of response may also be that there is no need to get under the vehicle for regular oil changes. It's all done from up top. I have changed my DSG fluid once recently but I never paid attention to the oil pan at that time. I do recall people wanting to do the oil changes the 'old fashioned' way but the engine is not designed for that any longer so the pump out method is the way to go. As others have mentioned, these vehicles are not like those from a bygone era so unless you're in extreme conditions a block heater is likely overkill.