Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Just bought 2017 S3

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
just one more....
Your car looks great. Love Daytona on the S3.

Big thanks for posting photos of Daytona with tints. I just got my Daytona S3 this weekend, and was trying to find any photos with 35% tint. Looks awesome on yours, so makes my decision on tine percent a lot easier.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks scottacus. Glad I was able to assist
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Some new observations in my first week of ownership....

So the more I've been driving my S3 the more I've begun to enjoy it. I almost exclusively use the paddle shifters with this car whereas I rarely did with the S4. I think the throttle mapping and shift points of full auto mode on the S3 are either too tame (D) or too manic (S), depending on the circumstances. As such I found manually shifting is great. I definitely love having the resonator delete option which really makes the S3 snarl when downshifting....sounds phenomenal. The S4 in Auto sport mode just seemed to be perfect so I rarely shifted manually.

I like the feel and handling of the magnetic ride so far.

Now, to be clear the S3 doesn't have nearly the pull the S4 has with it's much stronger supercharged V6 engine, but they're just different beasts. I find myself having more fun in this new car My observations are based on standard factory setup, no mods....yet.

Last edited by Timmay; 04-25-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the throttle mapping and shift points of full auto mode on the S3 are either too tame (D) or too manic (S), depending on the circumstances.
This perfectly describes the experience with my RS5. (D) never goes above 3000 and isn't happy till it finds 7th gear so zero torque and (S) loves to just hang out at 5 or 6 grand. Matt Farah was right when he said it really needs a setting in between.

A little disappointing to hear as I have an RS3 on order, but I guess I will just keep up my (D) is for mileage and paddles for everything else mentality
Old 04-25-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely love having the resonator delete option which really makes the S3 snarl when downshifting....sounds phenomenal.
Next logical step would be to post a sound/video clip. You can't expect us to believe you without evidence
Old 04-25-2017, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RezaWrex
This perfectly describes the experience with my RS5. (D) never goes above 3000 and isn't happy till it finds 7th gear so zero torque and (S) loves to just hang out at 5 or 6 grand. Matt Farah was right when he said it really needs a setting in between.

A little disappointing to hear as I have an RS3 on order, but I guess I will just keep up my (D) is for mileage and paddles for everything else mentality
I have a feeling the shifting may be different on the RS3 but I certainly couldn't tell you. We sure as hell do know the engine is much more potent
Speaking of Matt Farah, I was watching a bit of his review of the S3 and man do I miss Mulholland Highway! Live on the opposite coast now. Used to have meet ups there back in my M3 phase. That was a lot of fun.

In any case, I don't think you'll be too disappointed once you get behind the wheel of the RS3.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bipedcreature
Next logical step would be to post a sound/video clip. You can't expect us to believe you without evidence
LOL yeah maybe one of these days. Never been good at recording audio. I wonder whether someone could post a sound clip of the res delete?
Old 04-25-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Some new observations in my first week of ownership....

So the more I've been driving my S3 the more I've begun to enjoy it. I almost exclusively use the paddle shifters with this car whereas I rarely did with the S4. I think the throttle mapping and shift points of full auto mode on the S3 are either too tame (D) or too manic (S), depending on the circumstances. As such I found manually shifting is great. I definitely love having the resonator delete option which really makes the S3 snarl when downshifting....sounds phenomenal. The S4 in Auto sport mode just seemed to be perfect so I rarely shifted manually.

I like the feel and handling of the magnetic ride so far.

Now, to be clear the S3 doesn't have nearly the pull the S4 has with it's much stronger supercharged V6 engine, but they're just different beasts. I find myself having more fun in this new car My observations are based on standard factory setup, no mods....yet.
Your s3 would run door to door with your old b8 s4. I hung right with one from a roll, I think I would have taken him if we launched.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by s3burgh
Your s3 would run door to door with your old b8 s4. I hung right with one from a roll, I think I would have taken him if we launched.
Oh I think the S3 is perhaps a tad bit "quicker", but the S4 is faster and it will most definitely begin pulling away from the S3 probably after hitting say around 70-80mph? The supercharged 3.0 liter is just a no nonsense monster of an engine. No lag of course which is what I really liked about that car. HOWEVER, I seem to be having more fun driving the S3. I like smaller, more compact cars in general. Now having all the latest tech is icing on the cake!