Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 5500 RPM warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS3 5500 RPM warning

Does any of you knows when this warning should appear? I thought it'll appear every time I start the car in the morning but it does not.
Yesterday I haven't started the car at all and this noon the warning appeared. When it does not appear, can I hammer the car immediately at startup?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eran Levi
Does any of you knows when this warning should appear? I thought it'll appear every time I start the car in the morning but it does not.
Yesterday I haven't started the car at all and this noon the warning appeared. When it does not appear, can I hammer the car immediately at startup?
The warning appears whenever the engine is cold so for me, that is every morning when I start the car. It takes approximately 3 minutes or so for the RPM limiter to be removed back to its normal level. However, that does NOT mean that the engine is truly warmed up at that point so SHOULD you hammer the engine, probably not IMO as its promotes excessive wear & tear on the engine.

I always look at the operating temperature of the engine BEFORE really getting on it because during the warmer months the engine can remain fairly warm even after sitting a while so that is how I decide (or if it is a real emergency then I don't care whether the engine is warmed up or not). Does this philosophy work? It did for my 911. After 13.5 years I never had excessive oil usage (was much less than average) and I never experienced any of the oil related leaks / issues that others did. But it's your car, so you decide. I'm sure others may have a different opinion (example: should you break the car in properly versus driving it like you stole it?).

I hope this answers your question.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Indeed. Thanks
I leave in a very warm place (around 90F since I got the car). Maybe this is the reason why I do not get the warning a lot.
I'm trying to break in my cars as properly as possible and always trying to not hammer in the first 5 minutes of driving. Especially with VAG cars where oil consumption might be an issue.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I randomly get the RPM limit warning as well when starting first thing in the morning. It confused me the first few times I saw it but I, like russbert, believe in warming the engine up by driving sanely for several minutes before cracking it open. I did that with my S3 and it never used any oil and it ran perfectly the 3.5 years I owned it. I'm still breaking in the RS3 currently. The RPM warning light is techie cool I guess but irrelevant to me because I wouldn't over rev the engine first thing anyway. Of course in the fun winter months, I let the engine idle for a minute or so before starting to actually drive the car. I don't feel letting a car idle for extended periods has any value however.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Where do I find the engine temperature level? I want it to show on my gauge cluster so I'll be able to know when can I hammer the car.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where do I find the engine temperature level? I want it to show on my gauge cluster so I'll be able to know when can I hammer the car.

Thanks
The gauge that reads coolant temperature should be on the left side of your cockpit cluster (at least that's where mine is). I've noticed that my car removes the 5500RPM limit after 2-3 minutes (I'm assuming a cold engine start). But for the coolant temp to reach close to 198+ (mine seems to run around 206 here in the summer) may take several minutes longer so that is why I watch that gauge before going WOT (well at least 99% of the time).

Since my body always prefers to be limbered up before I perform more strenuous things (especially now that I'm older), I assume that the turbo's / transmission / etc. would like the same courtesy.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have a virtual cockpit? I do not have the virtual cockpit.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have a virtual cockpit? I do not have the virtual cockpit.
Eran, yes I have the virtual cockpit but according to the Audi manual both the virtual cockpit and analog version BOTH have it on the left side of the instrument cluster. Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by russbert
Eran, yes I have the virtual cockpit but according to the Audi manual both the virtual cockpit and analog version BOTH have it on the left side of the instrument cluster. Hope this helps.
Will check that carefully when I'll get back into the car

Thanks
Old 07-28-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Been to the car. Here are the results:
Looked at the left RPM gauge and didn't find any engine temperature there. Went to the manual and found that the engine temperature gauge should be where my boost gauge is.
Kept on reading to find out that some cars do not have engine temperature gauge and if it is too high, a light will come on.
I have to say that its quite stupid not to have that gauge in an RS3.

Quick Reply: RS3 5500 RPM warning