Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 Delivery times

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrimTango42
Yes, this is actually a rather common practice from the worst dealerships out there. They will often keep allocations just for them and add their shady markups for the extra $. Telling prospective customers that they don't have any extra allocations. They will often lie that the 2018 coming in was a "canceled" order so it doesn't look like they are pulling a fast one, but they are. That is why I flat out refuse to do business with a dealer that does this sort of thing.

Dealerships do this because they can, and Audi (all other makers as well) are completely disinterested in what happens with the cars once they are paid for them and they head to the dealer. Dealerships can make a lot more money for themselves having a rare care on hand for themselves to sell at whatever price they want. They will certainly find a buyer, and probably very very quickly with the RS3. Given that people who are getting COMM#s now are expecting to wait until mid 2019 for their car. The entire run of 2018's appear to have been sold already. Will Audi do a 2019?? Or will they discontinue the RS3 and focus on the RS4? Its hard to say with Audi, because they do this sort of thing with RS cars often.

Ultimately, If I had a 2017 on lock with a dealer, I would be frustrated at the delay, but I would not be worried about the depreciation of the 2017 vs the 2018. Only because this is an RS. People who would buy an after market RS know that they are dealing with, and would know that the 2017 and 2018 model year are the same thing! They will likely know about this whole debacle as well, and know that the 2018's could potentially be older than the 2017's

I wouldn't worry about the resell value retention too much, more along the extra wait. However, I can't imagine it will be all that much more of a wait... The cars are there, and 2017 buyers can sleep soundly knowing that they are not waiting until mid 2019 (the end of the 2018 run) with the possibility of not even getting an RS3 at al depending on what plans Audi has in store for a 2019 model or not. RS cars very often only run for a couple model years, and they already have 2017s and 2018s.

I am wagering that the 2019 RS3 will not exist, and will be instead an RS4 based off the updated A4 which is due for the update.
Yes, Yes and maybe on the RS4.

I had the previous RS4 and I was always under the impression like the RS3 that the RS model comes at the end of that model's useful life before a model redesign. If they did a RS4 that would certainly change their previous practice. Absolutely could happen though. As you said I am not worried about depreciation as much as I would have wished the launch cars were fully loaded. This would have benefited the dealers as well. Having Porsches where carbon brakes ( PCCB's) are about 9k alone the Dynamic Plus option was a seen almost as a freebie by me! Porsche has completely distorted my views on options and pricing.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure I agree with those who say there will be no difference in depreciation between 2017's and 2018's. While this is a niche car, age still matters. Having come from the Porsche family, I can tell you that unless the car is a numbered limited edition, it depreciates based on model year. As an example, the 991.1 model of the 911 was released late in 2012 as a 2012. Soon after the 2013 model year was released wth no real change. The 2012 models now sell for less that the equivalent 2013, it is human nature to want the newest model you can afford (equipment being equal).

As to the RS3, the 2017's offered nothing special at all to differentiate it from the 2018. The equipment was the same and the pricing was the same. Why would it be more attractive to the second buyer? Again, the amount of cars available on the secondary market will have impact but, all things being equal, there was nothing to make the 2017 more attractive than the 2018. I think it was poor marketing by Audi but they seem to be doing alright without my advice.

I understand the frustration of all the prospective owners, myself included, but reality rears its ugly head, a year older is a year older and only the most enthusiastic fanboys are going to remember the nonsense around the release of these cars.

I do hope they release these cars soon, I sold my car 3 weeks ago in anticipation of delivery and still have no real indication of when this might happen. I have a VIN and know the car has been sitting in Emden for a while but have not seen a vessel leave for Davisville lately. I signed up for owner in waiting and have not received a single email from them. The is my third Audi, including a previous RS4, but it is terribly frustrating to be dealt with like this. I do understand that, while these cars are not cheap, they are basically an entry level car to the RS family, the cheapest of the RS cars. I would hope that the prospective owners were being treated better but I am not seeing that at all. Let's hope we start seeing these cars soon.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

However, Porsche put their ceramics on all four wheels, not just the front wheels. Although I do agree with you on Porsche pricing in general.

Originally Posted by USCRS3
Yes, Yes and maybe on the RS4.

I had the previous RS4 and I was always under the impression like the RS3 that the RS model comes at the end of that model's useful life before a model redesign. If they did a RS4 that would certainly change their previous practice. Absolutely could happen though. As you said I am not worried about depreciation as much as I would have wished the launch cars were fully loaded. This would have benefited the dealers as well. Having Porsches where carbon brakes ( PCCB's) are about 9k alone the Dynamic Plus option was a seen almost as a freebie by me! Porsche has completely distorted my views on options and pricing.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Yes, this is true as of yesterday. 2017s are still held though.
No longer on hold. Picking up mine Wednesday or Thursday!!!
Old 07-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got an email yesterday from my dealer saying my MY2017 is still on hold in Houston. WTH? Frustrated.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

From what I can see, 17s are still on hold.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, mine still on hold. Come on 2018s! beat my car to the dealership!
Old 07-01-2017, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, a fully loaded 2018 in red now has my name on it and is arriving 7/15. A 71k dollar one but I wanted everything anyway. I will really laugh if this arrives before the 2017.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trump probably wants to add a tariff. Doh.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by andru1313
Just spoke to my sales guy. I was slotted for an august shipment he just rechecked now my order info has bumped out to October.
Production week - 3617
Production complete - 9/08/17
Ship 9/20/2017
Release to 10/7/2017
Dealer Delivery 9/25/2017 - 10/23/2017

:-(
My COMM# NT car has the exact same dates now, but my original ETAs were only a few weeks earlier.

Quick Reply: RS3 Delivery times