Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 or RS3 as Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After driving the RS3 for a few days now and in different drive modes I have to say it's a great daily driver. Very sporty in manual and dynamic mode and also very calm in comfort mode.

This car simply does whatever you ask for....love this car! Another fun factor, I have had multiple people just sitting next to me giving me a thumbs up or just today at the gas station a guy walks up to admiring the huge front brakes... :-)
Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pagy
i took a lease on a loaded s3 and have no regrets
it will be months if not a year for me to get close to an rs3; i'll leave that for renewal time. even by then you may find a cert. pre-owned one.

when i hear daily driver, i just cant help but feel the rs3 is overkill albeit fine in the role. the s3 is plenty fun on its own. its a 4.7s car, you shouldnt fear much at a red light in the first place.
The RS3 is definitely overkill. The S3 is a lot more car than any of us probably need as well. I truly did enjoy driving that and would surely be 100% happy- if the RS hadn't come out for a little extra $$

My main thought with the thread was in regards to pure drivability of the two. Knowing that I would very likely order an RS3 before getting the opportunity to test drive one, I'd hate to make a big mistake. I've read, for instance, that the BMW M2 is terrible in stop and go traffic. I live in a pretty large metro area, so wouldn't want a car that is annoying in the lower rev ranges.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Neither an S3 nor an RS3 owner, but an RS owner nonetheless. RS5 in my case. I've previously owned an S4 and have driven countless other A and S models. The S models are great cars, so don't take any of this as bashing, but quite frankly most people debating this question have never owned an RS. Once you've owned an RS, this question kinda answers itself. It's like that other saying, once you go black you never go back :-).

Sure for some people an RS is too much for a daily car. Too edgy, too rough, you name it and I respect that. Either way it will answer this question. If after owning an RS you know it's not for you, then the answer is clear, but like most who owned an RS, we know what they are all about and how they truly differentiate themselves from their more pedestrian siblings. If I can help it, I will never go back to an S. An A is not even a consideration.

Audi Sport does a formidable job at tuning the RS vehicles IMO to make them usable in the daily rut as well as on the track or a fun canyon run. The spread of Audi Drive Select is considerably larger on an RS. Some folks think some of the RS models are sprung too harsh for North American roads. Probably true, but that's where the adjustable suspension comes in to make it a bit more compliant when desired. My RS5 has the fixed suspension, as the DRC suspension wasn't an option in North America and I've done many road trips and drive it daily. However, I do not commute. I'm fortunate that I don't have to drive to a job with everybody else clogging up the roads.

I do believe however, that to truly appreciate an RS, you need access to the right roads to let the beast out once in a while. Here in California, that's not an issue. Hitting up the canyons on any day serves as a reminder why I have an RS in my garage. Living somewhere else with no fun roads anywhere near however, I would probably get bored out of my mind, though and frustrated that I can't really experience the full breath of the car. Another thing that I would highly recommend to anybody buying an RS is to do European Delivery. There's just not much else that comes close to blasting down the German Autobahn at 174 mph and pay a visit to the famous Nurburgring. I put 4000 miles on my RS5 while in Europe and it was by far the best part about owning this vehicle.

These are the kinds of roads that I live for :-).

Last edited by superswiss; 07-25-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I do miss carving up the canyons in Cali! Great times and great driving experience! I certainly don't miss the daily traffic in SoCal however.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shivamerlin
After driving the RS3 for a few days now and in different drive modes I have to say it's a great daily driver. Very sporty in manual and dynamic mode and also very calm in comfort mode.

This car simply does whatever you ask for....love this car! Another fun factor, I have had multiple people just sitting next to me giving me a thumbs up or just today at the gas station a guy walks up to admiring the huge front brakes... :-)
How is the torque and turbo lag compared to the S4? I test drove the S3 before ordering the RS3 to get a feeling for size, handling, etc. and almost got into an accident leaving the dealership as I pressed the gas and it took a second to respond, then bogged down, and finally took off right before the coming traffic got to me. Close call. On the S4 I would have just taken off immediately with no delays. I'm hoping that the extra cylinder on the RS3 makes it less laggy at low revs.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audifourme
How is the torque and turbo lag compared to the S4? I test drove the S3 before ordering the RS3 to get a feeling for size, handling, etc. and almost got into an accident leaving the dealership as I pressed the gas and it took a second to respond, then bogged down, and finally took off right before the coming traffic got to me. Close call. On the S4 I would have just taken off immediately with no delays. I'm hoping that the extra cylinder on the RS3 makes it less laggy at low revs.
Audiforme but aren't you comparing manual supercharged engine v. turbo charged engine in the S3/RS3? If so, that will of course be completely different. I too had an S4 recently and that engine was phenomenal and zero lag, naturally. In terms of the S3 (as I cannot speak on the RS3) I'm guessing you had the car in automatic mode, and probably not sport mode? If it's in sport mode it's basically hyper and even a bit over the top in some ways as far as its shift points, etc. I like driving it manually knowing exactly when it will shift so I don't experience much turbo lag at all actually.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss

These are the kinds of roads that I live for :-).

Yes! That's what I'm talking about.

I'd like to be driving around here right now.....
Attached Thumbnails S3 or RS3 as Daily Driver-absdmalibu_09.jpg  

Last edited by Timmay; 07-25-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I’ve had a 2016 S6 for about 18 months now with about 6700 miles. In December I traded my Q5 for an S3 and have been driving the S3 almost exclusively as my daily driver and love it. Since I’ve had the S3 the S6 pretty much sits in the garage. It’s an awesome car but I find the S3 much more fun to drive. In comfort mode it’s a very efficient and smooth car to drive and in dynamic mode it’s an extremely competent sports car. Over the years I’ve owned Corvettes, 911’s and AMG’s and can’t say I’ve ever owned a car that does so many things so well and that’s as fun to drive. The S3 doesn’t have the panache of a 911 or AMG but to me that’s the part of its appeal. When the RS3 comes in the S6 will be traded and the RS3 will become my garage queen while the S3 will remain my daily driver. I’ve never driven an RS3 so can’t speak to the differences but feel the S3 makes a fantastic daily driver.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Get the S3 or RS3 as long as you are comfortable with it.
When kid(s) arrive, they will pull you to the other direction.

I used to own a B6 S4 Avant but sold it for a Toyota Sienna because of my little gal.
She grows up to 10 now and we went car show together and I am open for a quicker car again.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Yes! That's what I'm talking about.

I'd like to be driving around here right now.....
Haha! No canyons like that here in Minnesota-just a whole lot of lakes and woods. Can honestly say I'd probably have plenty of fun with on-ramps around the Twin Cities with my commutes.

Quick question- how's RS3 exhaust note change in comfort mode? Asking for the better half..if she drives it I doubt she'd want the 5-cyl symphony in its full glory.

Quick Reply: S3 or RS3 as Daily Driver