Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 vs RS3

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be clear, this is not a numbered, limited edition car. But I think what you're seeing people point to is the rarity factor. Percentage-wise, not many will buy them. So a couple of years from now when the production run is complete, they'll be harder to come by than a used A3 or S3. By simple supply and demand principles, we can project a higher resale value. Limited edition cars tend to command a premium over what they actually cost, so a numbered car might take 25% on top of what a more standard production model might. A production car like the RS3 won't command this kind of premium, but it should hold its value longer than a more easily attainable A3/S3. You definitely won't make more off it than what you paid for but you most likely won't end up taking a bath on it either when it's time to sell.

In short, the fact that fewer people buy them makes them naturally rarer than their counterparts. And as an enthusiast car, particularly for what is being heralded by many publications as the greatest, most powerful 5-cylinder ever made, there will be a market for them down the line.

We're already seeing supply & demand take over, given that most orders are now into mid-to-late 2018, with some dealers slotting for early 2019, with $10-15k markup if you didn't already have a deposit in. Either the wait or markup will scare many away many would-be buyers, who will have moved on to other cars by the time the RS3 cools down. Those will be cars that will never be ordered/built, again increasing the rarity.

Lastly, a quick comment about Audi's RS comments. My read is that they are bringing more RS models to the US, as opposed to dramatically increasing the number of each specific RS model produced. The report on the forums is that the line Is only producing 1 RS3 per 10 A3s, so just based on time that takes, there will be limitations to how many they can spit off the line, unless they go back to producing in an Audi Sport exclusive plant.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the explanation. It would be nice to see that type of resale as a change of pace for me.

Originally Posted by BlackAce
To be clear, this is not a numbered, limited edition car. But I think what you're seeing people point to is the rarity factor. Percentage-wise, not many will buy them. So a couple of years from now when the production run is complete, they'll be harder to come by than a used A3 or S3. By simple supply and demand principles, we can project a higher resale value. Limited edition cars tend to command a premium over what they actually cost, so a numbered car might take 25% on top of what a more standard production model might. A production car like the RS3 won't command this kind of premium, but it should hold its value longer than a more easily attainable A3/S3. You definitely won't make more off it than what you paid for but you most likely won't end up taking a bath on it either when it's time to sell.

In short, the fact that fewer people buy them makes them naturally rarer than their counterparts. And as an enthusiast car, particularly for what is being heralded by many publications as the greatest, most powerful 5-cylinder ever made, there will be a market for them down the line.

We're already seeing supply & demand take over, given that most orders are now into mid-to-late 2018, with some dealers slotting for early 2019, with $10-15k markup if you didn't already have a deposit in. Either the wait or markup will scare many away many would-be buyers, who will have moved on to other cars by the time the RS3 cools down. Those will be cars that will never be ordered/built, again increasing the rarity.

Lastly, a quick comment about Audi's RS comments. My read is that they are bringing more RS models to the US, as opposed to dramatically increasing the number of each specific RS model produced. The report on the forums is that the line Is only producing 1 RS3 per 10 A3s, so just based on time that takes, there will be limitations to how many they can spit off the line, unless they go back to producing in an Audi Sport exclusive plant.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is ALL about the engine with the RS3. The RS3 may hold it's value well but, when sell time comes, your buyer pool may be limited as folks may be hesitant to spend 40k on a used car with the next gen model out. I could swing the cost but already feel squanderous with a $500/mo S3. Now, offer a manual to go with that engine and I'd jump to an RS3 in a heartbeat.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Should have gone with the a4, basically the same car, but little more plush IMO
Old 07-06-2017, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ahyeah
It is ALL about the engine with the RS3. The RS3 may hold it's value well but, when sell time comes, your buyer pool may be limited as folks may be hesitant to spend 40k on a used car with the next gen model out. I could swing the cost but already feel squanderous with a $500/mo S3. Now, offer a manual to go with that engine and I'd jump to an RS3 in a heartbeat.
If you have a hard time with the idea of a $500 car payment... then I don't think high end cars are for you

$500 a month is nothing man. That is Camry money.

People spend more than 40k on used cars all the time. Especially sports cars. Even more so for rare, hard to find cars that have something special that they love or can't find anywhere else (Sound). The buyer pool will of course be limited for cars like this. Just like the buyer pool for a rare Ferrari California GT is also limited, and those sell for millions. This is not an A3 or S3, and is not something you will likely see much of once it goes on sale. They will be rare after market, and rare on dealer lots as well (likely). Those who will end up selling these used will be looking for a very specific buyer who will be looking for a very specific thing.

As for the next Gen. argument, its hard to say whether there will be a true next gen of the RS3. There is a chance that they wont do one. That is the way RS models have gone in the past. They are not a car that traditionally has had a very long run. As long as they keep the 5 cyl. in place I could see this holding up, but the engine is the star of the show with the RS3, and that will be the primary selling factor to used buyers.

Last edited by GrimTango42; 07-06-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to know why they haven't released a new generation RS4. The last one was based on the B7 platform if I'm not mistaken. That was a fantastic car. Doesn't make sense they'd release an RS5 here but no RS4.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
I want to know why they haven't released a new generation RS4. The last one was based on the B7 platform if I'm not mistaken. That was a fantastic car. Doesn't make sense they'd release an RS5 here but no RS4.
A lot of things that Audi has done lately doesn't make sense. Just like having cars sit at the port for weeks or months...I guess my fellow Germans are not what they used to be. We've always been so organized and structured but lately I get the feeling they don't know the Fu$% they are doing.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timmay
If the number of new RS models coming to the US is accurate, there will undoubtedly be an RS4 next year. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to wait another year, but that car is going to be spec-tacular.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would sort of imagine that Audi does not wish to 'flood' the lineup with too many RS models at the same time. Perhaps leaving a year or 2 between numbered RS models to create exclusivity. Granted, it provides more options in a particular numbered model series as well.

I looked at some S4s and S5s the other day actually. Nice cars for sure. The negatives have been debated on other forum threads here. Car reviewers like them but indicate that perhaps Audi is going the way of BMW and making the cars more comfortable over sporty.

Just know I love my S3 and the RS3 is a S3 turned all the way to 11!!! Once the cars start to reach owner's hands, sure we'll see some interesting new forum threads. Looking forward to learning about the car before I actually take possession of one. For example, was nice to find out from our friend in NZ that the battery is in the trunk.

Everyone is clearly anxious here.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is almost certain that a new RS4 will be at least announced next year and I believe there are already spy photos on the intarwebs. If they do produce one it will again almost certainly be coming to the US, probably as MY2019. If that does happen, and they deem NA buyers worthy of an Avant, there's a strong chance I'd give the RS3 to my wife and get one form myself because wagon. But an Avant is probably just a pipe dream.

Quick Reply: S3 vs RS3