Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Screen does not go away when button is pressed new 2018 a3

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman
Well, I for one love the fact that my 2017 S3 can be positioned in the down position and frankly that is done as soon as I start the car along with auto start/stop to off. I have no need for it in the up position, unless I am using Google maps in an unknown area and any set up changes I might desire. I love the clean dashboard look and clear view of the road, unlike, those I pads that are stuck on many other car designs.
+1. I also prefer the clean look of the S3 to that of the larger models. Of course purely subjective.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:54 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PITBOY

well just had mine in for service and it still goes up and down.
Originally Posted by SCarGuy
I work for Audi, and can confirm, this is not the case - the law is purely production date driven, it has nothing to do with anything else. Think about it like this - 17 and many 18 Q7's had a retractable screen, similar in location to an A3/S3/RS3, 19's don't. All C7 (11-18) A6's, A7's, all D4 A8's had retractable screens too that flipped out from the dash. None of those were affected by the new law, not even the "new" 2018 A6/A7's and their S counterparts that were recently lifted from the recall cannot sell list.

Our RS3 has been here for service once already a couple months ago at the 5k mile mark, which was around November (6 moths after the law went into effect), screen works just as before. Car was built just prior to the law going into effect.
Excellent NEWS guys at least everyone (Before) that date is going to remain loving being able to Lower that Dash Display, still !!!

Terry
Old 06-09-2019, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '18 A3 and my screen retracts while I'm driving the car if I push the button.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I work for Audi, and can confirm, this is not the case - the law is purely production date driven, it has nothing to do with anything else. Think about it like this - 17 and many 18 Q7's had a retractable screen, similar in location to an A3/S3/RS3, 19's don't. All C7 (11-18) A6's, A7's, all D4 A8's had retractable screens too that flipped out from the dash. None of those were affected by the new law, not even the "new" 2018 A6/A7's and their S counterparts that were recently lifted from the recall cannot sell list.

Our RS3 has been here for service once already a couple months ago at the 5k mile mark, which was around November (6 moths after the law went into effect), screen works just as before. Car was built just prior to the law going into effect.

The question is How can you change to the older switch and get it to retract like it should ? Hopefully someone will figure this out
Old 06-10-2019, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sinister#4
The question is How can you change to the older switch and get it to retract like it should ?

Hopefully someone will figure this out
Sinister#4,

My (Opinion) is if a 3rd party vendor comes up with the solution to Modify the Dash Display there will be lots & lots of customers jumping on it.

And when you think about it you know it can be done it's really nothing more than a 3rd party vendor jumping in and doing it.

Note*
What might actually be holding things up on that already being available per 3rd party vendor/vendors is it being a Federal-Law.
Like removing the Catalytic Converters there are few Performance-Shops or Retail-Muffler-Shops that's any-longer willing to do that the Penalties are to great.

Terry
Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose this is an inappropriate moment to remind everyone that the '15s still have the retractable screens with full screen reverse camera, video in motion capability, and phone mirroring.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

so do the 2018 RS3, funny thing when we first looked at the car first thing I asked the salesman was "does that screen retract ?" He assured us it did lol (oct 2018) I agree that the first company who makes a switch/hack to get it to retract is going to sell a TON of them as its really a horrible idea leaving it up all the time, the backup camera should have been integrated into the dash cluster instead to comply with the regs. to me all these screens "stuck" on the dash just look like a poor afterthought. But its my wife's car and she does not mind it there.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:03 AM

so do the 2018 RS3, funny thing when we first looked at the car first thing I asked the salesman was "does that screen retract ?" He assured us it did lol (oct 2018) I agree that the first company who makes a switch/hack to get it to retract is going to sell a TON of them as its really a horrible idea leaving it up all the time, the backup camera should have been integrated into the dash cluster instead to comply with the regs. to me all these screens "stuck" on the dash just look like a poor afterthought. But its my wife's car and she does not mind it there.
Well my Good-Man it's just one of those things that if you happen to own an RS3 after the Cut-Off-Date your going to have to deal with.
I think I might like to have the (Option) to drop it down like the greater majority of RS3 owners.
However, in my case I'll just except that it's the way it is and not let it take away from all the positive things I do so like about the RS3.

Terry
Old 06-11-2019, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Will yours drop down Terry ? Every time my wife sees your pictures she asks me to check where the cars at lol Love the Red !
Old 06-13-2019, 07:26 AM

Will yours drop down Terry ?
Every time my wife sees your pictures she asks me to check where the cars at lol Love the Red !
1st the important thing, give your Wife a Hug for me she's a Special Lady.

Just got in the RS3

Just started it up as you can see the message on left, Maximum 5,500 RPM.
Also the Dash Display comes up Automatically and Stays-Up as long as it's engine is running !!!

Note*
There is No-Way in the 2019 RS3 to DROP the Dash-Center-Display !!!

It's now reached operating temperature and I'm ready to back out of the garage and drive.

Terry

Quick Reply: Screen does not go away when button is pressed new 2018 a3