Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

VIM (Video In Motion) Unlock - Dongle That Works!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i actually drove away with the dongle plugged in. uplug while watching a dvd and driving down the street. totally fine. world did not explode
Old 08-05-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow - you drove away while watching a DVD AND unplugging the dongle. If you say you were also entering a nav destination and sending a text while balancing a hot cup of coffee all at the same time, I would be really impressed. I hope you have your insurance paid up.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol! Glad it worked markN1689
Old 08-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 116Crew
Hi!

I wanted to start a new thread as I recently found a dongle online that was able to unlock my VIM for my USA 2015 A3! It only took a coupe of minutes to do and it was SUPER easy. I highly recommend it! Note that the dongle IS locked to one vehicle and can't be share.

Here is a link > Video In Motion For Audi MMI (Unlock DVD Playback) ? Emmanuele Design
I have the 2015 basic MMI not the plus. I don't have a DVD player but will be using the MMI AV adapter to hook up my phone to mirror navigation on my screen. Will it work with mine?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 116Crew
Hi!

I wanted to start a new thread as I recently found a dongle online that was able to unlock my VIM for my USA 2015 A3! It only took a coupe of minutes to do and it was SUPER easy. I highly recommend it! Note that the dongle IS locked to one vehicle and can't be share.

Here is a link > Video In Motion For Audi MMI (Unlock DVD Playback) ? Emmanuele Design
Could you take pictures of where it goes or YouTube video. I am about to purchase it but not that familiar with the instructions.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jDreamer85
I have the 2015 basic MMI not the plus. I don't have a DVD player but will be using the MMI AV adapter to hook up my phone to mirror navigation on my screen. Will it work with mine?
The phone cannot mirror to the MMI what you see on it's screen. It can only play video files that meet the MMI spec. There are ways to do it but it requires additional hardware and cabling (do an AW search - I've seen a thread where someone made it work). In any case, the dongle is only to unlock the the prohibition of playing videos when the car is moving, nothing else.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The phone cannot mirror to the MMI what you see on it's screen. It can only play video files that meet the MMI spec. There are ways to do it but it requires additional hardware and cabling (do an AW search - I've seen a thread where someone made it work). In any case, the dongle is only to unlock the the prohibition of playing videos when the car is moving, nothing else.
My phone is displaying on the screen but when I drive I get the safety note about no video while driving. I just wanted know if it's compatible to my MMI that's not a MMI plus. Thanks
Old 08-05-2015, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My phone is displaying on the screen but when I drive I get the safety note about no video while driving. I just wanted know if it's compatible to my MMI that's not a MMI plus. Thanks
You asked if the dongle would allow your phone to mirror it's maps and I replied no.

Now you are asking if the VIM dongle will work in your car. The answer is if you can see video on the MMI screen now while stopped, it will work when the car is moving.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You asked if the dongle would allow your phone to mirror it's maps and I replied no.

Now you are asking if the VIM dongle will work in your car. The answer is if you can see video on the MMI screen now while stopped, it will work when the car is moving.
Ok Thanks. I was making sure it was compatible before I buy. Do you have any pictures or video to help me install it?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok Thanks. I was making sure it was compatible before I buy. Do you have any pictures or video to help me install it?
Step1: Turn car Off
Step2: Insert dongle (plugs in near where the lever for the hood is)
Step3: Turn car ignition on (dont start engine) wait for the screen to go up and down.
Step 4: Done. Insert DVD and drive away

Quick Reply: VIM (Video In Motion) Unlock - Dongle That Works!