Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

What winter tires are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keninblaine
Are your balancing weights on the RSe10 wheels in the normal location, or did they have to be moved inboard to avoid conflicting with the front calipers?
I believe they are inboard.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alt3rEgo
Pretty happy so far with the Hakka R2s. We got dumped on today and they exceeded my expectation.
Yup, I got to try out the Hakka R2s and they are amazing. We had the Hakka R (previous generation) on our S7 for 4 years, and those are now replaced by the R2 also. I had the X-Ice Si3 on my S5 for the past 2 winters, so in direct comparison - the R2s are a good step up from the older model R, the grip on packed snow and ice is noticeably better. The R2 on the RS3 are also very noticeably better than the Xi3 on the S5 - better grip/traction, better braking, better cornering - and better on dry pavement.

I went out yesterday to McMahon Stadium parking lot, then to the University Lot 10, to play and get a feel for these after the first significant snow event. With Stability Control in Sport, the RS3 will hang the tail out nicely on power slides. With SC fully off, it's even more playful - from tight AWD donuts (where the car essentially rotates in place), to tight drifts, to big billowing snow faster slides, you can control how sideways you want to be with throttle and steering wheel - it's extremely controllable, and just as much, maybe more, fun as the regular quattro systems in the S4/S5/S7 etc. The Haldex system, on the RS3 at least, gives plenty of throttle generated tail-out opportunity, from my trials yesterday it's not a disadvantage at all. So much for the know-it-alls who insist that Haldex can't be rear-biased or is inferior to 'regular' quattro!

Originally Posted by keninblaine
I see the R2's are described as "All Season" radial tires. Based on the comments I've seen here, they seem to be considered one of the best overall tires for winter conditions. What is their weakest characteristic? Think I read that they get mushy at 60 degrees and higher. Are they good on wet roads? Trying to decide if they are well suited for Pacific northwest conditions, where there is typically more wet weather than snow, but anything is possible, including deep wet snow, ice covered with snow, etc. Also, I could take a trip to So Cal in Feb and be running in warm weather for a few weeks down there. To go with 18" Neuspeed and R2's it runs about $400 more than Tire Rack 19" rims with Pirelli Sotozero 3's (one of the few choices of winter tires in 235/35/19 size).
It's the G3 Nokians that are "all-weather" (not all-season) winter tires that can be used year round. Those G series are not as good on snow/ice as the R2 or Hakka 9 winter tires. One big advantage of the Neuspeeds is that they are LIGHT - around 20 lbs, versus 29 for the stock 19" wheels. That's a huge reduction in unsprung weight, and you can feel the improvement in better ride quality, it's very noticeable. Worth the dollar delta over the much heavier TR 19" wheels. Warm weather is not an absolute killer on the Nokians, last year I had to leave the Hakka R on the S7 until late June, my wife was driving on them 2 months longer than normal - no problems.

Originally Posted by gergelybg
There is NO perfect tire! But a perfect tire for a specific weather condition. Depending of where you live and how you use your car and with deep knowledge of how different tires perform upon your most common usage will define your satisfaction.
Without prejudice and as a generic guideline:
Deep snow, ice, rural regions with little snow removal: NO RS3 territory, but Hakka 9 studded would be best,
Extreme low temperature with lots of snow: Hakka R2
Changing conditions passing from snow rapidly to ice and, city areas with frequent snow removal, MIchelin x Ice3
Mostly mild winter with chances to get some snow: any high performance winter tire will keep you thinking you run OEM set (or almost)
Mid US States with something they call winter: any respected M+S tire.

Did I cover everything?
M
Not bad, but I'd disagree with the bolded statement about changing conditions and city areas - the Nokian Hakka R2 are noticeably superior to the Michelin Xi3 in those conditions. I ran the Xi3 last year, now the Hakka R2 this year, so speaking from experience with just several days of winter so far this year on the R2 - they really are better on packed snow, scraped roads, ice than the Michelin.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GordonC
Yup, I got to try out the Hakka R2s and they are amazing. We had the Hakka R (previous generation) on our S7 for 4 years, and those are now replaced by the R2 also. I had the X-Ice Si3 on my S5 for the past 2 winters, so in direct comparison - the R2s are a good step up from the older model R, the grip on packed snow and ice is noticeably better. The R2 on the RS3 are also very noticeably better than the Xi3 on the S5 - better grip/traction, better braking, better cornering - and better on dry pavement.

I went out yesterday to McMahon Stadium parking lot, then to the University Lot 10, to play and get a feel for these after the first significant snow event. With Stability Control in Sport, the RS3 will hang the tail out nicely on power slides. With SC fully off, it's even more playful - from tight AWD donuts (where the car essentially rotates in place), to tight drifts, to big billowing snow faster slides, you can control how sideways you want to be with throttle and steering wheel - it's extremely controllable, and just as much, maybe more, fun as the regular quattro systems in the S4/S5/S7 etc. The Haldex system, on the RS3 at least, gives plenty of throttle generated tail-out opportunity, from my trials yesterday it's not a disadvantage at all. So much for the know-it-alls who insist that Haldex can't be rear-biased or is inferior to 'regular' quattro!

It's the G3 Nokians that are "all-weather" (not all-season) winter tires that can be used year round. Those G series are not as good on snow/ice as the R2 or Hakka 9 winter tires. One big advantage of the Neuspeeds is that they are LIGHT - around 20 lbs, versus 29 for the stock 19" wheels. That's a huge reduction in unsprung weight, and you can feel the improvement in better ride quality, it's very noticeable. Worth the dollar delta over the much heavier TR 19" wheels. Warm weather is not an absolute killer on the Nokians, last year I had to leave the Hakka R on the S7 until late June, my wife was driving on them 2 months longer than normal - no problems.

Not bad, but I'd disagree with the bolded statement about changing conditions and city areas - the Nokian Hakka R2 are noticeably superior to the Michelin Xi3 in those conditions. I ran the Xi3 last year, now the Hakka R2 this year, so speaking from experience with just several days of winter so far this year on the R2 - they really are better on packed snow, scraped roads, ice than the Michelin.
To be honest I ve never tried the R2, but comparing tires mounted on different cars seems to be unfair as well. R2 will give up on warm weather... and tread wear was my most important criteria. Someone with a tread wear warranty out there...?
And about the Haldex...well it is a very, very good Haldex, but let's not get crazy about a system than splits 50% to rear. That is simple physics that Haldex will never overcome. Compared to any S Audi car, this is with no doubt the lightest front end one. It makes a huge difference in tail happy turns. But have you ever tried something as boring as rear wheel biased, 4 wheel drive car? You should,,,

Last edited by gergelybg; 11-06-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

To be honest I ve never tried the R2, but comparing tires mounted on different cars seems to be unfair as well. R2 will give up on warm weather... and tread wear was my most important criteria. Someone with a tread wear warranty out there...?
And about the Haldex...well it is a very, very good Haldex, but let's not get crazy about a system than splits 50% to rear. That is simple physics that Haldex will never overcome. Compared to any S Audi car, this is with no doubt the lightest front end one. It makes a huge difference in tail happy turns. But have you ever tried something as boring as rear wheel biased, 4 wheel drive car? You should,,,
Thanks for the funny reply! So I post that I've had the Nokian R on an Audi S7 until late June without any issues (ie the tires certainly didn't "give up"), and you post that you've never tried the R2 (I doubt you've tried the older R either), but you can state definitively that the R2 can't handle what I just told you the older R handled without problem. Alrighty, your psychic powers are impressive!

Next, in that same post I described the Audi S5 that I owned for 7 years, including 7 Calgary winters, on two different winter tires - and you ask if I've ever tried a rear biased AWD car? Do you know ANYTHING about Audi S models? Yes, the S5 had a 40/60 torque split, in addition I had the optional Sport Differential. That's was my second of 3 rear-biased AWD Audis, first being a 2007 S4, then the 2010 S5, and we still have the aforementioned 2014 S7, all with rear biased torque splits (I've owned two other 50/50 quattro Audis as well). So I think it should be safely concluded that yes, I have indeed tried something as boring as a rear wheel biased 4 wheel drive car, don't you think??!!

Regarding the RS3 Haldex - I don't care whether you insist it can only send 50% to the rear - if I can throttle steer and hang the tail out and do donuts and big billowing snow power slides, very much like any of the Audi S4/S5/S7 could do, then in my extensive experience (including multiple winter ice racing schools and winter performance driving schools on snow and ice), the RS3 Haldex system is just as capable and just as fun as the older Audi rear-biased AWD systems. I'm not just guessing, I'm stating fact from my own actual experience.

I will also reiterate that I disagree with your statement that the X-Ice3 is better in snow to ice changing conditions and urban areas with snow removal - I've driven extensively on both X-Ice3 (Audi S5 and Mazda Miata) and Nokian R and now R2 (Audi S7, Audi RS3) in those conditions, and the Nokian R and R2 are superior to the X-Ice3. I'm not guessing like you, that's my actual experience.

Last edited by GordonC; 11-10-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the funny reply! So I post that I've had the Nokian R on an Audi S7 until late June without any issues (ie the tires certainly didn't "give up"), and you post that you've never tried the R2 (I doubt you've tried the older R either), but you can state definitively that the R2 can't handle what I just told you the older R handled without problem. Alrighty, your psychic powers are impressive!

Next, in that same post I described the Audi S5 that I owned for 7 years, including 7 Calgary winters, on two different winter tires - and you ask if I've ever tried a rear biased AWD car? Do you know ANYTHING about Audi S models? Yes, the S5 had a 40/60 torque split, in addition I had the optional Sport Differential. That's was my second of 3 rear-biased AWD Audis, first being a 2007 S4, then the 2010 S5, and we still have the aforementioned 2014 S7, all with rear biased torque splits (I've owned two other 50/50 quattro Audis as well). So I think it should be safely concluded that yes, I have indeed tried something as boring as a rear wheel biased 4 wheel drive car, don't you think??!!

Regarding the RS3 Haldex - I don't care whether you insist it can only send 50% to the rear - if I can throttle steer and hang the tail out and do donuts and big billowing snow power slides, very much like any of the Audi S4/S5/S7 could do, then in my extensive experience (including multiple winter ice racing schools and winter performance driving schools on snow and ice), the RS3 Haldex system is just as capable and just as fun as the older Audi rear-biased AWD systems. I'm not just guessing, I'm stating fact from my own actual experience.

I will also reiterate that I disagree with your statement that the X-Ice3 is better in snow to ice changing conditions and urban areas with snow removal - I've driven extensively on both X-Ice3 (Audi S5 and Mazda Miata) and Nokian R and now R2 (Audi S7, Audi RS3) in those conditions, and the Nokian R and R2 are superior to the X-Ice3. I'm not guessing like you, that's my actual experience.
Hi,
I am happy to see your answer. Thanks for taking the time to reply to a funny comment and to make you so emotional about Audi's Quattro system whatever that means bias wise. It also fills me with so much respect when I can read notes from a deeply experienced driver. When I was referring to a real biased 4WD Audi (in my head, sorry for the confusion) was not in the count at all. BTW was the Miata rear biased as well? And when exactly did you try both tires on the same vehicle? I am probably misreading the hole thing...If my readings are correct though you have never compared neck to neck Quattro, 4Matic, xDrive... If you did, please share.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Michelin PS4S

upload foto share link
Old 11-11-2017, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

BTW was the Miata rear biased as well? And when exactly did you try both tires on the same vehicle? I am probably misreading the hole thing...If my readings are correct though you have never compared neck to neck Quattro, 4Matic, xDrive... If you did, please share.
Yes, a Miata is 100% rear biased. Do you not know that a Miata is rear wheel drive? Re both tires on the same vehicle - how about you go first - I expect your answer must be "never", since you state you've never even driven on a Nokian R or R2? Given that, I suggest that my having tried both tires on very similar Audi rear-biased AWD vehicles trumps your zero experience on any vehicle. Done.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, a Miata is 100% rear biased. Do you not know that a Miata is rear wheel drive? Re both tires on the same vehicle - how about you go first - I expect your answer must be "never", since you state you've never even driven on a Nokian R or R2? Given that, I suggest that my having tried both tires on very similar Audi rear-biased AWD vehicles trumps your zero experience on any vehicle. Done.
lollllll. Yes my lord. Just if you have driven any different than Audi...and Miata. And please do not mention physics, cause your statement is not supported by any...technical proofs: stopping distances, G forces, acceleration etc etc etc.
So I fully respect you personal opinion, but so you should too. Peace Audi/Miata ice racer/R2 die hard fan.
M
Old 11-11-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

lollllll. Yes my lord. Just if you have driven any different than Audi...and Miata. And please do not mention physics, cause your statement is not supported by any...technical proofs: stopping distances, G forces, acceleration etc etc etc.
So I fully respect you personal opinion, but so you should too. Peace Audi/Miata ice racer/R2 die hard fan.
M
Sorry, what am I supposed to respect - your internet opinion based on zero actual experience with a Nokian tire on any vehicle? I disagreed politely with your statement that the X-ice3 are superior, and explained why - you decided to insist that I must post quantitative comparison data on the same vehicle to prove and validate my opinion (without posting any actual experiences of your own with said tires), and denigrated my actual driving impression of the RS3 and it's Haldex system on snow compared to my actual driving impression of my own S4, S5, and S7 on snow - insisting that your theoretical physics must invalidate the experience I just had last week in a real car, on real snow, with real winter tires, compared to real Audi S vehicles I owned personally for a total of 18 years.

When you take that approach for disrespecting my actual experiences, I don't owe you any respect for your internet experience with zero actual experience.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, what am I supposed to respect - your internet opinion based on zero actual experience with a Nokian tire on any vehicle? I disagreed politely with your statement that the X-ice3 are superior, and explained why - you decided to insist that I must post quantitative comparison data on the same vehicle to prove and validate my opinion (without posting any actual experiences of your own with said tires), and denigrated my actual driving impression of the RS3 and it's Haldex system on snow compared to my actual driving impression of my own S4, S5, and S7 on snow - insisting that your theoretical physics must invalidate the experience I just had last week in a real car, on real snow, with real winter tires, compared to real Audi S vehicles I owned personally for a total of 18 years.

When you take that approach for disrespecting my actual experiences, I don't owe you any respect for your internet experience with zero actual experience.
I did not put in doubt you having fun with your car... I did put in doubt how fantastic R2 tires are, I did not put in doubt how capable Audis are. I did not disrespect you in any way (read my 1st reply). Considering me funny, you showed no respect to others opinions, considering your almighty experience to be one all to agree with. I am so sorry for you if you wasted 18 years of your life driving basically the same car. But on the other hand loyalty is to be respected (hopefully they give you great deals on any next/same car you buy). And if we consider your opinion about R2 to be ultimate and my poor internet based experience based on million opinions summarized for the lazy me to be a sign of unrespect to your single vote, I go in a blink of an eye with Internet . Can we stop polluting this tread now and enjoy both what we prefer: you drift the ultimate machine in your opinion, me looking always for something better (if sometimes being wrong, but there is a saying: we win or we....learn) no matter if it has the 4 circles on it. Cheers

Quick Reply: What winter tires are you using?