Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Why I sold my BMW M4 and switching to an RS3

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keyeslol
Congrats op. I too have had many top end cars within their class. Integra Type R. Evo MR, M3. Had some others in there like 328's 335's, but i recently went over to Audi when the RS3 launched here in the US. I too felt like BMW has been all about volume and their cars are "throw away." I think the technology in Audi is far superior to BMW and the fit and finish feels a step above what BMW offers. I basically agree with your stance and your experiences.
Thanks a lot man.

you are absolutely correct.

For example, if I walk into the BMW Showroom, it is so busy and filled with people they are selling cars left and right like hot cakes.No one looked at me or acknowledged my presence, no one offered me a glass of water or coffee. It's like a self service center.

On the other hand, when I walked into Audi, the first thing I loved is that beautiful aroma they have, I think it's unique to Audi this air fresheners they use in all Audi showrooms make you feel like you just walked into a 5 star hotel. It only has like 2 or 3 customers at most in side and I got proper attention and treatment. I felt like I was a VIP in there. In BMW I felt like I was walking into Walmart or Best Buy. At least that's how it is in Dubai, no wonder why there are such quality control issues.

Guys the post I made is just the tip of the ice berg. I don't want to bore you with all the details but I can type pages literally of how horrid BMW service is.

Check this, so when I ordered my 2018 M4 in March and took delivery in July, after a long wait, I went to the showroom like a kid in Christmas, I saw my car and I was shocked by how beautiful it looked at first with all the M Performance parts that I ordered like splitters and rear diffuser, etc.

I then noticed that there are huge swirl marks on the bonnet so I told the delivery guy what the heck is this? He said don't worry sir we'll polish it for you. I then said fine but how can a brand new car need polishing and it has swirl marks all over the hood? He said sorry sir maybe it's the cleaners they might have cleaned it with a dry towel! I was just shocked but let it go because I couldn't wait anymore to get my car. After a week when I came back to my senses, I sent a huge complaint email to the dealership about this and they polished the car for me completely for free rather than the initial polish they did at the dealership with a little cotton swab on the swirl marks.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HighwayHum72
sick! that is a car that will allow you to become a much more skilled driver if you so wish. excellent excellent choice and many smiles per gallon!
thanks a lot man, I appreciate it
Old 05-14-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

awesome, @snappy so you picked up the one you mentioned before?

truly amazing cars, and as a previous M owner, you will absolutely love the RS3

Last edited by SCarGuy; 05-14-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Speaking of breaking, what is the break in period 2000kms until I can floor it?

Also, I was told that the virtual cockpit has Apple Car Play but does it have Android Auto?

Last edited by Snappy Phoenix; 05-14-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix
Speaking of breakin, what is the break in period 2000kms until I can floor it?
I believe it is 1500 kms. Do not go past 2/3rds of the rev range for the first 1000 kms. After that, gradually increase the upper rev range limit until you hit 1500 kms.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not outdated at all and you are absolutely correct about what you wrote in your reply. I don't disagree with it at all. But here's the difference. I do drive at the limit regularly. I have lots of deserted canyon roads at my disposal free of law enforcement where I get to properly enjoy these cars and then there are the tracks. I drive these roads in many different cars and there is a world of difference between when I drive it in the R8 vs even the TT-RS. Track width and low to the ground weight makes all the difference. I'm also from Europe, so I drive the German Autobahn regularly. I did European Delivery with my RS5 for example. If you don't have the same opportunity to drive these cars like I do, then you are absolutely right. Most of these cars are overkill for regular driving or even the occasional spirited driving for most people. It sounds like you've found the vehicle that suits YOUR situation and driving style best. I feel a lot of people are not honest to themselves about what fits their situation best. I don't understand folks who buy high performance cars and then spend most of of their time in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way to/from work. I've given up commuting a long time ago and most of my driving these days is for pleasure. Of course I've got to run my daily errands and that's why my primary car is still the RS5. Best all around package I've ever driven so far.
You can enjoy an X3 M40i in the canyons as well. Also a race track. You don't need a micro-sized, super-small car to have fun in the canyons. And the RS5 is heavy car. There are purists that would say that your RS5 doesn't provide the proper feel due to its weight I think this is more psychological than any real difference that you can tell in canyons. More personal preference than anything else.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 05-14-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
I believe it is 1500 kms. Do not go past 2/3rds of the rev range for the first 1000 kms. After that, gradually increase the upper rev range limit until you hit 1500 kms.
Right, noted. so what about Android Auto, does this car have it?
Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix
Right, noted. so what about Android Auto, does this car have it?
Yes it does but you need to use a USB cable which plugs in to the inside of the arm rest. Unlike BMW which I think can Bluetooth to Android Auto?
Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
You can enjoy an X3 M40i in the canyons as well. Also a race track. You don't need a micro-sized, super-small car to have fun in the canyons. And the RS5 is heavy car. There are purists that would say that your RS5 doesn't provide the proper feel due to its weight I think this is more psychological than any real difference that you can tell in canyons. More personal preference than anything else.
Not saying you can't enjoy it and I'm not specifically talking about my RS5. Yes, the RS5 is heavy, about as heavy as an SUV, but it's lower and has a wider track, so it's more enjoyable in the canyons than a more narrow SUV with similar weight. If you don't get this point, then you probably have never driven an RS5. It gets more extreme if you take the R8. Even wider, lower and lighter plus perfect balance due to mid engine design. Again you will feel that difference compared to an RS5 and an SUV. If you've never driven these cars, then I don't think you understand at all.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It does have andorid auto, you can use the USB port under the HVAC controls or in the arm rest. It doesn't have wireless android auto like BMW has, but to me i prefer the higher quality audio you get when connected via USB.

Quick Reply: Why I sold my BMW M4 and switching to an RS3