UK: lectronic Dampening Control Module - Location & Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,640 Posts

If I had physically replaced the unit and asked a dealership to program the unit per my original vehicle specification, I'd expect them to bill me their minimum labor unit. Which near me is one hour. That task itself is probably not even 15 minutes.

Remember, the J250 is managing two aspects, one which you don't care about and one which you do. The damper valves, not a concern in your config. But the level sensor zeroing, that you do care about. But that's done on the ground.

Yeah, I'd just start right off the bat with changing the coding and see where it goes. I can't tell you "do this then do that" or anything, I've never messed with a J250 unit. Likewise, I know zip about the convertible top system.
Old 10-16-2023, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good, As I say I've read those links a few times and today ordered myself a VCDS HEX-V2 kit to try and code the unit myself. The cost of my local audi is £168 per hour, and the kit was only £225, so it will likely save me money in future anyway when diagnosing problems!

Again, just a bit confused about what the Ross-Tech forum post is saying to do when it comes to coding the Module. Is it quite a simple task? Will the Long Coding helper do a lot of the work provided I login with the security code in that post? Sorry for all the questions, i Just want to solve this once and for all.

I won't be able to use the coding in your post there either, will I? As that's from a MY11. Or am I misinterpreting?

I found the leak location too I think, rear window appears to be falling away from the fabric of the roof so there's another thing to sort ahaha!

Last edited by MikeyT1991; 10-16-2023 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know what all the bits in the J250 long code represent. I can't look at long coding helper for that module as I don't have that module in my car. I don't see why the bits would be any different between a MY10 and MY11 of what seems an otherwise identical vehicle. Maybe if one car was halogen and the other car HID (halogen doesn't get the autoleveling system)? I'd just put that long code in and go from there. Look at the info in long coding helper, assuming it has much in the way of notes, to see if anything stands out as "no, that can't be right for my vehicle". Otherwise, run with it.

The ross-tech link. So it seems like the person set adaptation channel 30 to value 1. This invoked something, whether it was simply the storing of that value, or setting that value invoked some other action, is not clear. So you might do that action, but then I'd leave things be for a few drive cycles and see what new error comes up. If you then get an error about "basic setting not performed", that seems to be what he's done in the second step. But remember that vehicle is a 2011 Golf Mk 6. And that J250 is "3C0 907 376 A", which may or may not operate in the same manner as an 8K... unit. So the login codes might not be the same.

The D4 A8 stuff is for air suspension. That's a lot different than just adaptive dampers.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/29696/
This might go back to the idea that the module needs a data set (processing parameters) for that particular type of vehicle loaded into it. But a used unit should have something already loaded into it. And as noted, you don't really care about the adaptive damping parameter set since you're not using it. So setting the 1 in the adaptation channel 30 might be enough to say "just run with it". I don't know, I can't tell you what will happen. I don't have a cabriolet with 1BL.

You certainly need to set the long coding. Then you might set the adaptation channel value. Then wait and see what comes up.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for your constant assistance with this,, especially since you don't have the same vehicle. You're picking up details on missing such as the slightly different security code.

Most of this makes sense. In that case I just need to work out what the security code is as the coding for the module needs to be done before anything else can be done. This is what I read in the service repair manuals in the running gear PDF.

I'll be interested to see what I can do with VCDS. Hope everything can be solved with it in time for the MOT!
Old 10-18-2023, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update; Plugged in the new radio module which arrived yesterday and it did NOT require coding to the car. However, the audio cuts out and comes back every second or so. It continues to do this forever.

Switching to Media (CD), the speakers now work fine. In fact, better than ever. Any idea on this one?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like the component protection as expected. So coding for that unit is generally just "is the audio routed to the internal amp or an external amp". But there will always be the component protection issue on swapping out the radio or amp units.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Sounds like the component protection as expected. So coding for that unit is generally just "is the audio routed to the internal amp or an external amp". But there will always be the component protection issue on swapping out the radio or amp units.
Oh that's something that can happen with CP is it...? Hmm. Interesting. Will a VCDS scan tell me if that's active? I thought at the MMI screen would tell me if component protect has been turned on, I've seen it in images online that a warning comes in the MMI screen indicating this.

If it is, I'll try swapping the PCB over as mentioned in previous posts. Cheers!
Old 10-19-2023, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, there should be a DTC present when the control module invokes component protection (ie, it powered on, exchanged CP serial with the J533, and found the record in its CP IC didn't match what the J533 had recorded in its record). The "annoyance" exhibit that CP causes varies from module to module. Maybe the sound on one side is muted, maybe the sound from all infotainment sources is muted, maybe the sound is interrupted once per second, etc. For the J519 BCM, it would be heated seats and interior lighting don't work, and so on.

The only time I've seen some dash presentation of CP is the SAFE text in the instrument cluster DIS (driver information screen) when the J285 (instrument cluster) is in CP mode. This is not the same as the J685 MMI FID (front information display).
Old 10-19-2023, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Evening/ Good day, finally managed to grab a scan of the car with VCDS and there are nowhere near as many DTCs as the original scan.

The biggest thing is Address 14; Suspension Electrics. I know it's already been said, but the new dampening control module that I've installed states 'no end of line programming', 'not coded' and 'control position not learned' as it came from another vehicle. Is there any way for me to fix this myself without a trip to the dealers...? I'm sure this is the reason that "Address 55; headlight regulation, no basic settings" is also caused by this module not being coded yet.

As a bonus, yes, the radio has Component Protection active! I've swapped over the top PCB in the new radio with the one from the broken radio since that's the part that has the EEPROM for my car installed, so I'm hoping it will identify it as the original radio and not need coding. BUT, I wont be able to fit it and test if the Component Protection is fooled until Sunday earliest! If there's anything else that needs to be posted please let me know and I'll get to it on Sunday! If it doesn't work then that's 100% a trip to the dealers I guess...

Identical Radio top PCBs

Last edited by MikeyT1991; 10-19-2023 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you've adjusted the coding string of the J250 and that doesn't allow you to do anything, yeah, seems to the dealership or a shop, someone with ODIS, to fix up the programming of the J250 is going to be the thing.

The headlamp range module cannot manage the headlamps without the level sensor data from the J250. So that the basic setting is invalid there is not surprising under the status quo.

Quick Reply: UK: lectronic Dampening Control Module - Location & Advice?