Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 S-line pulls to the right....dealer says alignment is fine....what am i missing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 S-line pulls to the right....dealer says alignment is fine....what am i missing???

Hey everyone -- I just purchased a 2009 audi a5 s-line over the weekend!....black on black..all the goodies. I love the way it drives, however, I noticed that it pulls to the right.

I quickly made an appointment and it went to the dealer this morning -- they said there are no issues with the alignment!

All 4 tires are brand new and the PSI is the same....brake pads and rotors are brand new as well.

What else could it be??

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kodack
Hey everyone -- I just purchased a 2009 audi a5 s-line over the weekend!....black on black..all the goodies. I love the way it drives, however, I noticed that it pulls to the right.

I quickly made an appointment and it went to the dealer this morning -- they said there are no issues with the alignment!

All 4 tires are brand new and the PSI is the same....brake pads and rotors are brand new as well.

What else could it be??

Thanks!
Road crown will cause the car to drift to the right. It's how the roads are designed for water drainage and the car will drift to the right on most roads. It's normal. If you're on a completely flat road, it should not drift. If so, it could be tire pull causing the drift. Swapping the tires left to right will determine if it has tire pull or not.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"What else could it be?" Try adjusting the dealer.

If it pulls to the right and the dealer is saying everything is OK then aren't they saying the car is supposed to pull to the right?

That is the problem with today's mechanics. They only know how to read the computer screen and have no idea how to diagnose on their own. "Well the computer said it was OK..."
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

What else could it be??
Tires themselves can cause the car to pull - whether new or old.

I assume they've fitted some sort of directional tire, correct?

How severe is the pull?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Road crown will cause the car to drift to the right. It's how the roads are designed for water drainage and the car will drift to the right on most roads. It's normal. If you're on a completely flat road, it should not drift. If so, it could be tire pull causing the drift. Swapping the tires left to right will determine if it has tire pull or not.
That was my first thought too. To test, I go to a 4 lane highway and just drive for a while on the left and right lanes to see if the pull is equal on both sides.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sure it's not a 535i?

They all pull to the right due to the active steering settings. Check the BMW forum for about 2000 posts;-)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 2009 model had a problem with the (electrical) steering aligmnent that wasn't 100% in the middle. It took thel 7 months to find the reason, I already said 5x what it was but they kept checking the wheel alignment which was fine.

Also check tire pressure on font tires.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dragonfly4
My 2009 model had a problem with the (electrical) steering aligmnent that wasn't 100% in the middle. It took thel 7 months to find the reason, I already said 5x what it was but they kept checking the wheel alignment which was fine.

Also check tire pressure on font tires.
I assume they were able to fix the electrical issue?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I assume they were able to fix the electrical issue?
yes, steering wheel was aligned properly and the problem was gone!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonfly4
My 2009 model had a problem with the (electrical) steering aligmnent that wasn't 100% in the middle.
There's a steering module that communicates between steering and the ECU. When I had my ECU replaced they were getting errors until they recalibrated the module.

You should either hook up a VCDS to see if your getting any errors or have the dealer do the calibration.

Quick Reply: A5 S-line pulls to the right....dealer says alignment is fine....what am i missing???