Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 steering wheel vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AceOne31
quick question: Is that affecting the 2008-2009 models only? I have a 2010 A5 3.2... after 1,000 miles... no vibration.

Gosh.. I'd have been really mad if that it had happened to me.... I'd have sold the car right away.....
I have a 2010 S5 (factory built in July 09')and delivered to me 9/9/09. I've have the vibration problem. I've already been through 2 road force balances and 2 new Dunlap tires. I am now on the "list" for new replacement control arms. I too thought my 2010 S5 would have escaped this problem and that my factory build would have logically had the newest control arms. Apparently not. I'm very pissed off w/Audi for not addressing this known problem with all 2010 factory builds and on. This S5 is my first Audi and needless to say the new car experience has been hampered. The dealer told me that I should anticiapte a 4 week time frame for the new control arms to arrive. BTW the dealer also said AoA has released a "new" upgrade to the previous control arm upgrade. So maybe this is why my July factory build still needs the newest newest control arm replacement. I'll keep you all posted
Old 10-02-2009, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike M
I have a 2010 S5 (factory built in July 09')and delivered to me 9/9/09. I've have the vibration problem. I've already been through 2 road force balances and 2 new Dunlap tires. I am now on the "list" for new replacement control arms. I too thought my 2010 S5 would have escaped this problem and that my factory build would have logically had the newest control arms. Apparently not. I'm very pissed off w/Audi for not addressing this known problem with all 2010 factory builds and on. This S5 is my first Audi and needless to say the new car experience has been hampered. The dealer told me that I should anticiapte a 4 week time frame for the new control arms to arrive. BTW the dealer also said AoA has released a "new" upgrade to the previous control arm upgrade. So maybe this is why my July factory build still needs the newest newest control arm replacement. I'll keep you all posted
Gosh... I feel lucky.... wow!!! It's like winning the lottery... I certainly would had been mad if that happened to me.

I got my car on August, so the car should have been built around June/July...
Old 10-02-2009, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The July timeframe is when they identified a solution, so it is purely luck of the draw whether one's 2010 car was built before or post-solution.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Pack rats ate my A/C wires...

Going through the Audi process to get my vibration issue fixed. I have had the tires road force balanced, so the next step is for Audi to decide what to do.

It gets better...When I talked to the Service Advisor he asked if I knew that my A/C was out. Apparently pack rats ate the wires for my A/C. Who would have thought that Audi makes such tasty wires? Anybody in AZ have a similar issue? Apparently this is not covered by the warranty. Should be unless they change the flavor...
Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdstrunk
Who would have thought that Audi makes such tasty wires? Anybody in AZ have a similar issue? Apparently this is not covered by the warranty. Should be unless they change the flavor...
LOL, sorry if it seems like I'm laughing at your misfortune (I'm not), but that is the first time I have ever heard of something like this. Then I Googled and it turns out it's not that uncommon after all.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup - had the same problem with my old A6 - they love the "soy based plastic" covered wires. Its not only Audi's - I have had a lot of friends with other makes that have experienced the same issue.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Had new control arms installed by Audi, the updated ones...and guess what, no vibration! There is a bit of a wait for them, so I'd make appointment asap and get them ordered. The tech has to decide if they are needed, so you cant just call and order they need to diagnose.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spaniardone
To all of your out there with vibration issues in your A5-S5 or Audi vehicles:

I just had my 2008 A5 'control arms' installed on Tuesday and the 'steering shaking' has stopped, my car now runs as smooth as it should have from day one, steering feel is even greater than before.

All it took was months of continuous visits to my dealer, road-force balances of all my tires, cross wording and discomfort, lots of patience, headaches... and following my dealer and Audi Customer Care steps which included replacing 2 "apparently" 'bent rims' and 2 Pirelli tires "apparently" 'deformed'... bringing repairs to a total of $1,900 which didn't stop the 'shaking' and dealer service manager ended up telling me that... Evidently!!.. controls arms seemed to be the issue and placed me on a waiting list of 'Control Arms' orders.. 3 months later I am notified of the arrivals of the arms.

I have issued a claim for repairs reimbursement with Audi Customer Care and I will fight this to the depths of the oceans if I have to.

This was my first Audi vehicle experience... and my last.

================================================== =============
2008 A5 3.2 Tiptronic, Brillant Black, Cinnamon Milano Leather, Premium Package + Technology Package + Navigation + B&O
Since this is your last Audi ever, spaniardone, I suggest a Lexus or other Japanese brand for all of your vehicles after you give up your Audi. If the heroes at Consumer Reports (or CR for short) are any indication, all of the other non exotic European brands are not likely to be any better (BM Trouble You-err-BMW and Gaguar-err-Jaguar are likely to be worse).

I would suggest Cadillac but with the way things are going at General Motors (the owner of Cadillac; GM is now owned by the American Government with that jerk off, Barack Obama in charge; who I should have never voted for), that would be a dreadful idea.

FWIW, there is a 90% chance that the German government will bail out BMW (just like the American Government with Jerk off President Obama did with Chrysler and General Motors) in 2014 at the latest.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No control arms just bushings...

Originally Posted by absS5
Had new control arms installed by Audi, the updated ones...and guess what, no vibration! There is a bit of a wait for them, so I'd make appointment asap and get them ordered. The tech has to decide if they are needed, so you cant just call and order they need to diagnose.
I wonder if I have the new control arms but the bushings were a later modification, any ideas? Dealer said it would take about a month which will roughly correspond with my my first service so I don't have to make two trips.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kdstrunk
I wonder if I have the new control arms but the bushings were a later modification, any ideas? Dealer said it would take about a month which will roughly correspond with my my first service so I don't have to make two trips.
Here's where I am with this (2010 A5 2.0T June 09 Build)

1. 1st visit - could not replecate vibration
2. 2nd visit - could not replecate - set up test drive with tech
3. 3rd visit - test drove with tech - surprise, he felt the vibration 60-75mph - road force balance all wheels.
4. 4th visit - vibration still exists. test drove with tech and he felt the vibration. Waiting to see what BS they come up with next.

Honestly, this is crazy. I just want to enjoy the car. I have been pushing hard and calling Audi Customer Care who has in turn been calling dealer.

Quick Reply: A5 steering wheel vibration?