Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 steering wheel vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was in for the wheel balance (road force), and that didn't do the trick. They just ordered the control arms and the bushings. I am told they are from the A5 TDI. We shall see how long it takes to get them, and better yet, if this fixes the issue
Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vmaxie
CAP930/A5, insist they replace the control arms & bushings. That is the only fix that will work. BTW what dealer in NJ R U using? I'm from NJ also.
Im using D C H Maplewood NJ
Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

DCH Maplewood
Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've got a little update and bad news for myself. I just install some H&R wheel spacers [20mm front, 25mm rear] and I now have my steering wheel vibration back. It happens just like it did before the dealership fix it by road force balancing my tires.

I am going to remove the spacers and take it for a drive to see if is still happening on my stock setup. I haven't had the car at highway speeds lately to be able to notice.

Since this did come back, I'm wondering what the spacers could be doing to make the vibration noticable. Like I said it wasn't vibrating before but I do need to confirm this by removing the spacers and taking it for a spin.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Imola Ghost
Well, I've got a little update and bad news for myself. I just install some H&R wheel spacers [20mm front, 25mm rear] and I now have my steering wheel vibration back. It happens just like it did before the dealership fix it by road force balancing my tires.

I am going to remove the spacers and take it for a drive to see if is still happening on my stock setup. I haven't had the car at highway speeds lately to be able to notice.

Since this did come back, I'm wondering what the spacers could be doing to make the vibration noticable. Like I said it wasn't vibrating before but I do need to confirm this by removing the spacers and taking it for a spin.

Interesting though. It shows how the geometry of the whole wheel/suspension setup has an impact on this issue.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just upgrade my A5 with 4 WORK wheels with 4 Pilot Sport PS2 tires.

all vibration was gone.....
Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Imola Ghost

I would say, do not manipulate or twik any factory setting with any make of vehicle! if you like wider wheels go with original 19" rims with 255 tires. spacer is a cheap solution but you got a 50k car, so 950 bucks difference of the rims is nothing comparing to price of the car.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by shawn5
I would say, do not manipulate or twik any factory setting with any make of vehicle! if you like wider wheels go with original 19" rims with 255 tires. spacer is a cheap solution but you got a 50k car, so 950 bucks difference of the rims is nothing comparing to price of the car.
I won't tweak the air pressure for good. I just want to diagnose it because I remember reading somewhere in a Audi TSB for this problem that increasing the tire pressure a little would eliminate the vibration. That is still NO EXCUSE and is not a fix in my opinion for Audi to try a pass along. I'm doing this air pressure for my own experiment. I want to get to the bottom of the problem and get it fixed, not just for me but for everyone that owns an A5/S5 or the A4 that is experiencing the vibration. In my opinion this is decreasing our future sale price if this does not get fixed! People won't want to buy a car that has such widely known problems as vibration in the steering wheel.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned

Default A5 Sucks!!

Originally Posted by AZAudiFan
Doubt they will take the car back. Contact an Audi CARE advocate - you can email them through the Audi website - click on "about Audi" and then you will see the email link.

The steering wheel vibration has been solved with the installation of new control arms, combined with a tire road force balance; do not let your dealer tell you otherwise - many of us on the forum have had the same problem!

Expressing your displeasure with the handling of this issue with Audi CARE directly will put pressure on the dealer as well.

**This issue is driving me insane, I don't think I will ever buy another Audi again, at least in the US. Two weeks ago I had my A5 serviced on this issue and they claimed I needed to buy new tires. Today I had a had what they called a very thorough inspection and I am told that 2 wheels are bent and need to be replaced. Shocking!! I am given an estimate for $1,600. I asked if the vibration will be taken cared of by having those replaced and I told.. 'we don't know that' but it should address the issue. I just called Audi of America and they tell me Audi has no knowledge of this issue been a major problem and that they will contact my dealer to see if all resources were implemented at the time of service, I am also told that they can't guarantee that i might not have to purchase new wheels and tires. Audi of America claims there isn't anything they can do since they don't see any information or technical tickets issued and regarding this matter. I just drove off the dealer with a higher 'grinding' note and a far more intense vibration in my steering wheel. I am kind of wondering whether I am been jerked around or simply there is too many people stating too many inconclusive things in this and other forums. Nobody, dealer or Audi of America has any recollection of any 'Control Arms and bushings' in mind or any TSB's or any bulletins available except the 'Oscillation in Steering' which was made available here a while ago. I am going out of my mind as we speak.. paying for $550000 vehicle that handles like a Yugo. Does anybody has a really good idea on how to approach this?? I don't think putting pressure on the dealer will do it. I don't want to create any enemies by pursuing this matter, I am raising HELL every time I have my car serviced and not getting to the point. Does anyone know 101% what needs to be done to kill this vibration issue and the so annoying resonance??
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned

Anyone can provide the control arms and bushings info and price so that I can order those on my own and have then installed? Thank you

Quick Reply: A5 steering wheel vibration?