Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

About to order an S5 - dealer asked to me sign an non-exempt form

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to order an S5 - dealer asked to me sign an non-exempt form

Hi.. I'm in the process of ordering an 09 S5 right now, and the dealer is asking me to sign an "Intent of Use" form that says I cannot export this car within a year. On there, it asks for my SSN. Did you guys have to do this when ordering? I'm ok with filling the form and sign it, but I don't really want to leave my SSN with them. But they told me it's mandatory. It has something to do with homeland security and money laundry for car purchase after 911.

Just wondering if this seems normal.

Thanks,

dK
Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not normal at all. That's a new one to me and no i did not have to do that in ordering my S5.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:53 AM

Default Sounds crazy. Probably just wanted to run your...

...credit report or something maybe? I didn't complete any such form.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't do such a thing! Go to a dealer that doesn't do shady stuff like that.

911 and money laundering with cars? Are you kidding me??? They use 911 for everything nowadays and people believe everything!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Comon thing with certain MB dealers.....

if they have reason to believe you are looking to export the car. As far as the reason, as you know these cars are much more expensive in other countries, so it's not uncommon that people buy a German car here and export it immediately which results in some sort of penalty or charge back to the dealer. Last year I helped a friend from DC purchase an s550 from a dealer here in Florida because all the dealers in his region wanted him to sign that form (probably mentioned he intended to export it), so obviously it is not mandatory since he was able to buy it from an MB dealer without such form.

Same car he purchased here is $230K+, while he paid $101K here and 34% tax upon when the car arrived. You can see the benefits.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You obviously do not know what you are talking about

the form is legit. Audi also has a non Export policy as do all German brands and with the dollar, exports have increased substantially. As with all customer information it is protected by that States privacy act....The dealer cannot sell the information.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You obviously do not know what you are talking about

Glad to hear from Blownaway that the form is legit. I faxed back the form earlier this morning but left the SSN section blank. I guess they'll contact me again for that info.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default blownaway, is the form...

mandatory or is it at the dealer's discretion? I signed it for a BMW in 2003, wasn't asked for the A6 in 2006. And my last exposure to this was last year as I mentioned earlier, where all MB dealers I spoke with wanted it signed except for one here that was willing to sell, knowing the car was going to be exported after a few weeks.

Why the inconsistency?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Actually guys it's been in place for some time. Some dealers enforce it others don't

You don't have anything to worry about. It's just to keep people from buying the S5 here and then turning around and selling it for profit in a different country where the same car goes for over 100k (in US Dollars). There are cases of some people doing such a thing. It protects Audi, the dealership, and our ability to buy their cars at much less than customers in other countries.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer also gets penalized if the vehicle is exported

Some wealthy friends from Asia bought an E-Class from a Philly dealer back in the mid 90s and sent it back to their home (model not available there). When MB found out the car had been exported privately, the dealer lost a bunch of allocations. Most of the German brands have done it for many years.

I don't know about the 9/11 justification though. That sounds a little too glib.

Quick Reply: About to order an S5 - dealer asked to me sign an non-exempt form