Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi OEM wheels - forged or not...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi OEM wheels - forged or not...

Greetings! Proud owner of a new to me 2011 S5 Cabriolet. Right now I have all season tires on the OEM wheels, and I am looking to get a new set of wheels for summer tires. Of course going to the SCCA Track Night in America event this fall has nothing to do with this... yeah right. My goal is to survive normal street driving, so at a minimum I am looking for Flow Formed wheels to withstand normal potholes, etc. I plan to stay with 19", though that may change.
I have seen comments on this forum and others about the Audi OEM wheels being FORGED. I find that very surprising, since that is an expensive process for a standard OEM wheel.
So, my primary question is: Does anyone know which, if any, of the Audi wheels are really fully forged?
Thanks for any input or insight.
Doug

Old 04-03-2019, 04:10 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Sorry I don't know about the wheels, but really nice car !
Old 04-04-2019, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Avant Guard Flow Formed 19's and I can tell you they cannot withstand pot holes. Summer only, less than one week after I got them last spring (used), slammed a pot hole and bent one edge (reworked it back some but not perfect). Put them back on a few weeks ago and I don't recall hitting something but I have another bend. Flow Formed are stronger than cast but forged is the strongest. I have done reading and I do not believe any factory (Audi) wheels are forged. With that said, I got the AG wheels after one year with my used 2014, I started getting vibrations. Shop put it on a lift and ran the car and you could clearly see the wheels bouncing and clearly were not true. The factory 5 arm rotors were bent. I since had them straightened for 150 ea. With all that said, I would only go with a true forged process wheel and I may have to get new ones...………(I am going to have fun explaining to wife why I need wheels again).

In addition, I was glad I got road hazard warranty with Discount Tire when I got new tires as last spring, I lost two tires in two weeks from pot holes. The edge of the factory wheel cut the tire as it compressed hitting the pot hole.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Some Audi wheel are Forged, R8 Wheels, some of the A8/S8 wheels and others. Fuchs are one of the Audi suppliers for some models but BBS supplies some too. file:///C:/Users/Mark/Desktop/Techni...ls_english.pdf
Old 04-10-2019, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the 19" B8.5 RS5 wheels are forged. The 20's are cast.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like there are a few Audi OEM wheels that are forged, but only at the premium models with the associated premium price (I assume).
So my quest now expands to the realm of aftermarket wheels.
Anyone care to comment on their experiences, particularly relating to bending the inside wheel rim.
Keep 'em flying and thanks!