Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Brilliant Black or Phanton Black?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brilliant Black or Phanton Black?

I paid my deposit today, but have not yet decide on the color.

I like Brilliant Black better, but was told that it is extremely difficult to take care of. Is this true? What is the orange peel effect people are taking about?

Also, I find the black interior too dark, but the other colors too bright. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Brilliant Black or Phanton Black?

My S5 is Phantom Black with black interior. I think it looks great. The colors on the Audi website aren't good examples of how the car will look. I had the same concern about which black to go with. Go to the dealer and find a Phantom Black A4 or A8 and see if you like it. I had a 2005 black S4, which I think was Brilliant Black, that I traded in. I like the Phantom better. Rob
Old 12-08-2007, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phantom Black is much sleaker...I saw the colour at the dealership.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine is Phantom w/black alcantara. The gray in the alcantara soften the dark look and comfort level is outstanding. My son's A4 s-line is brilliant as was my MB ML350. Swirls were always an issue w/brilliant and it spents half it's time in the car wash (hand wash only). My salesman talked me into the Phantom and I'm glad he did (regardless of the extra cost). It's a beautiful color and still maintains that sleek black look. Go for the Phantom-you won't regret it.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Matellic Paint is standard here in my country, and I do have someone to handwash my car daily. Would you still prefer phantom over brilliant? I have seen phantom black demo before, but I always thought solid black looks better on coupe....What's your thought?

Alcantara is something I really want, but unfortunately, it is not a option here..Only White/black/red/brown leather...I think white looks good, but I just don't think it is too durable.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tough question......Brilliant black is the ultimate but, as soon as it's washed it looked dirty again. But for a few hours it looked incredible. I would use a duster brush in the morning just to keep it's sheen. The Phantom stays cleaner "looking" longer. At night or dusk you can't tell the difference between them or for that matter from 10ft away. If I had the choice to do it over again I would stay with the Phantom. Too bad you can't get the alcantara. What country?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:16 AM

Boy - this thread is making me nervous. With A5s (in the U.S.) we only have Brilliant Black available, which is where my order currently stands. Yikes... Maybe I should revisit Avus Silver.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nix the Avus....that car is meant for black! When that car is coming at you with those DRL's it's the nastiest looking thing out there. The looks I get with that car are incredible.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 AM

That's the kind of thing I like to hear - Thanks!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:13 AM

I just saw the Phantom Black at my dealer today and it was a nice color. Only thing I didn't like was when they pulled it outside, the color turned grey in the sun. If I'm getting black, it should be black and not grey in the sun. They also had a Brilliant Black RS4 and A8 and it looked great but both had swirl marks and both are brand new in the showroom. After seeing both blacks, I decided to get something different and ordered Sprint Blue.

Quick Reply: Brilliant Black or Phanton Black?