Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison

Looking at an A5 S-line or either the S4 or S5...can anyone give me a comparison of these? I've tried looking at specs, and other than 2 or 4 doors, it's hard to do. Anyone got personal opinions of these?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

From which model year(s) are you wanting a comparison? Are you considering an A5 3.2 (prior years) or a 2.0T? I've test driven the S4 and I own an S5 and here are my thoughts...

- The S4 feels quicker off the line (supercharged V6 versus naturally aspirated V8).
- The S5 sounds w-a-y better, much richer exhaust note.
- The S5 is drop dead gorgeous, not that the S4 is ugly by any means.

If my younger kids were older and I needed a 4 door car for practicality, I would probably get an S4. Until then, I'm going to continue to enjoy my S5.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, was looking for as new as possible for around 40-50k price range...so hopefully almost new. I guess I don't know the motor, but whatever would be the most recent one possible? And I have to have a fast car, as I'm coming from an 07 Z06 possibly...which is the reason for the S-line
Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

S-line doesn't define the A5's performance (at least when it comes to HP, torque or 0-60 times), rather it provides a combination of sports suspension, tires and wheels, and styling tweaks.

For an A5, if you want an V6, you're limited to 2010 and earlier, with the 2010 model year having only an automatic transmission. If you want a 6-speed manual transmission, the A5 2.0T, S4 and S5 are your options.

I've test driven an A5 3.2 S-line, S5 coupe with an auto and one with a manual. I have also driven 2009 and 2010 A4 2.0T (non S-line) sedans, but haven't had a chance to test drive an S4 with the supercharged 3.0.

The A5 3.2 S-line may not have the off the line sprint that a 2.0T (S-line or not) has, but seems to have a touch more oomph at speed. The reason is that the 2.0T is lighter and the turbo gives the engine a wider torque band and it is more accessible. The 3.2 feels heavier (mostly because it is, by a bit) and has a good grand touring feel to it.

The S5 definitely has grunt and is the higher performance grand tourer, which I what I like about it. It does not have the same torque curve as the peppier S4, but has more than enough oomph (mostly when compared to the A4 3.0 that I have now).

As far as choosing an S5 versus an S4, it is all up to personal preference. I absolutely love the S5's styling and stance, both outside and driving position. One cannot deny the sound of the V8, mostly when you add AWE or Stasis cat-backs. It's almost enough to justify the cost differential (at least, for me).
Old 06-22-2010, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if you currently drive Z06 then what makes you come over to the Audi family? Your going to be disappointed with the lack of power in any audi you get compared to the Z06..
Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's going to be a very tough decision if I ever do. I'm looking at possible bigger car options, with still enough power. I don't really "enjoy" any fast car I have tremendously, but I still love having the power available if I decide to do a lil sprint on the highway, merge into traffic, etc. Basically, I can't have anything that I need to floor just to get up to 60mph in traffic in 10.5 seconds Although I may not buy one anytime soon, I'm throwing a CTS-V up there, audis, Jeep SRT8, Range Rovers, and maybe a bmw/merc/lexus. So far, Audis are really the ones that people overall love as a whole, with plenty of power to boot. So I may never crack and just keep the Z06...who knows. Also, the Z06 has <2k front end damage that you can't really see, from a year ago when i hit a burnt out piece of rubber from a semi. It just doesn't have that "new/awesome" feeling anymore since then. *shrugs* Thanks for the insight guys.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can read about how the S4 beats out its BMW competitor, but it is a 4 door sedan so not in the same range as your vette (even though it is a beast). The S5 is probably your Audi of choice for now, at least pre-RS5, since it's the coupe with speed and sound. An A5 for me isn't about going fast, the thing just demands attention for people who aren't already in love with them (same is true for the S5)
Old 06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bef99hwk
I'm looking at possible bigger car options, with still enough power. I don't really "enjoy" any fast car I have tremendously, but I still love having the power available if I decide to do a lil sprint on the highway, merge into traffic, etc. ..I'm throwing a CTS-V up there, audis, Jeep SRT8, Range Rovers, and maybe a bmw/merc/lexus. So far, Audis are really the ones that people overall love as a whole, with plenty of power to boot.
Sounds to me that an S4 would be a good fit. It has a lot of torque and very responsive, very crisp handling, with a room for 4. the quality of the material/construction inside and out is miles ahead of the Corvette, and what you loose in straight line power you gain in sophistication , handling, and the overall feel / quality. off course is budget permits, there are many other options, no one here is gonna argue with an M5 or a CL AMG.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned

i would suggest you wait for the RS5, all your answers will be answered with that one, forget about S5, S4 unless you don't plan on spending a lot, then I suggest to get an A5 3.2 S-line 6speed Manual
Old 06-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

rs5 gonna be >>>>> than 50K for sure. new S4 low 50 is dobale or used s5

Quick Reply: Comparison