Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Drove an S5 for a few minutes...while nice inside..I have the following comments

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drove an S5 for a few minutes...while nice inside..I have the following comments

For ME...it wont work..no leg room for kids in back. It also felt very very heavy to me. I like the outside looks..and the inside cabin is very nice..but it needs to go on a diet big time...the parking release button is strange though.

Anyway, just my quick synopsis on my 5 minutes in the car.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Drove an S5 for a few minutes...while nice inside..I have the following comments

Do you think it has less legroom than the 3 series coupe? Maybe you should have test drove an A4 if you need more rear leg room.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Drove an S5 for a few minutes...while nice inside..I have the following comments

I too had a quick spin at the weekend and loved it. We have no kids, so back seats aren't really an issue.
I've owned 4 TTs and am getting bored with them. I found the ride to be pretty comparable with the TT, but then again I didn't throw it around as much as I do with my current car.

I'm a bit miffed at the fact that I'll be expected to buy the 2,000 Satnav system JUST to have Ipod connectivity - rip off. The bang and olufsen sound system may be a good thing, but wasted on me as I can't appreciate good sound quality.
The V8 sound was gorgeous from outside the car, but couldn't really hear it (even with stereo off) from within the cabin. But as I said, I didn't get a chance to thrash it.

I'm going to order one as long as the dealer can come up with a good price for my current TT; if not, I'm more than willing to walk away.

Dealer has offered the S5 for a day so I can get a proper feel, especially as I'm using S-tronic at the moment and it felt strange using gears and a clutch again
Old 03-03-2008, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is why u have a 335
Old 03-03-2008, 09:49 AM

Default As a long-time 3-series owner, I drove 335 then S5 -- S5 won me over...

...when I considered all those factors...

First off, the curb appeal and overall look of the S5 beats the 335 Sedan, hands down. The design is a true change from anything Audi has done, while BMW still sticks to very minor changes in the sheet metal and keeps an overall staid look (The 335 coupe looks better, in my opinion).

One reason I switched is because the ubiquitous Bimmer has maintained a similar look over the past several years; as a result, when one is seen, it doesn't turn heads because it seems that they are everywhere.

As far as the interior, I don't think the legroom is that much better in the 335, but obviously getting in and out makes a difference as four doors obviously makes entry/exit easier (both of mine are/were 4-door).

While everyone knows the S5 is heavier and one can feel it some when driving, it still handles wonderfully and carries that weight well. The V-8 power is so smooth and strong that it just makes one feel giddy when accelerating. I was completely blown away by the fit-n-finish and overall build quality, especially in the cabin.

The B&O sound is incomparable to any sound package offered by Bimmer, and I liked the MMI system by Audi far more than the BMW system.

My two cents...
Old 03-03-2008, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Time to dispel the myth about the A5 being close to the size of the A6.

B7 A4: Length 4586mm / Wheelbase 2648mm
B8 A4: Length 4703mm / Wheelbase 2808mm

B8 A5: Length 4635mm / Wheelbase 2751mm

C5 A6: Length 4878mm / Wheelbase 2760mm
C6 A6: Length 4916mm / Wheelbase 2843mm

The A5 is smaller than the last gen A6, let alone the current one. It's also smaller than the next gen A4, even though both are on the same platform.

Those who expect real usable rear seats in the A5 should look elsewhere.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am still kidding myself that we'll be carting the baby in the S5.

LOL... the rear-facing seats fit, but only just... and it won't be much better when the kid grows up.

However, you're absolutely right - the car *is* heavy. But, once you get used to it, the thing is much more nimble than you think. Plus, did you turn ESP off? With the new quattro torque split and ESP off, you now have a third input to steer the car. It does make a difference.

The electronic parking brake is a massive pain in the azz... I despise it. I hated it on the Passat rental in Italy and I hate it still. Not only is it frustrating to work with, being electromechanical, it's just one more thing to break (being a critical no-fault part or not).
Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Who ever said it was? They're crazy...
Old 03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You'd be surprised how many people are saying that, especially on the less well informed forums.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2 forward facing car seats will fit. Just make sure you take their shoes off! If I demand one thing from my children, it will be they must drive STICK....

Quick Reply: Drove an S5 for a few minutes...while nice inside..I have the following comments