Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Fuel Pump Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Issues

I have a 2014 RS5 - about 70K miles and have a recurring fuel pump issue. The first time occurred in the dead of winter and I chalked it up to a cold ECU. The car started roughly with virtually every warning light coming on. After waiting about 30 minutes the car started and ran "normally". The dealer could find no cause. The second time I was left stranded and had the car flat-bedded to the dealer. Almost three weeks later, they determined that the cause was a low-pressure fuel pump problem. It was replaced under warranty. Last week, while having a little fun on an on-ramp, the car stuttered - like a misfire, but no warning lights came on. After work, the car started roughly, but started. On the ride home, the check engine light came on. The next day, it wouldn't start - obviously not getting any fuel. It is now at the dealer after another ride on a flat bed.

Anybody else experience anything similar?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update: my Audi Service Adviser tells me that they are unable to duplicate the problem and thus unable to make any warranty repairs. I'm waiting for the service manager to call me.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

It's odd that all sorts of warning lights came up. That usually points to either the computer or low battery voltage.

If I were you, I would first charge up the battery, test the battery, then test the alternator. After that, I would unplug and reinsert all the fuses, wiggle and unplug/reinsert all the electrical connectors I can find. You can do all of this yourself for free. Most big chain auto parts stores offer free battery and alternator testing or you can get a battery charger that tests the battery and alternator.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,170 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by findalex
It's odd that all sorts of warning lights came up. That usually points to either the computer or low battery voltage.

If I were you, I would first charge up the battery, test the battery, then test the alternator. After that, I would unplug and reinsert all the fuses, wiggle and unplug/reinsert all the electrical connectors I can find. You can do all of this yourself for free. Most big chain auto parts stores offer free battery and alternator testing or you can get a battery charger that tests the battery and alternator.
i would agree a lot of these complex computer driven cars do weird things when they are underpowered by a dying battery... best of luck!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

I picked the car up from service on Friday - starting and running fine (for now). Their diagnosis was a "vacuum problem". They replaced all of the plastic pieces on the intake. Doesn't seem like a solution to me - rather they threw parts at the problem. They did tell me that they were "having problems running the paperwork under warranty". I wasn't given any paperwork when I picked up the car.

The sales manager asked if I'd like to drive the new RS5 and offered me $30K for my '14 RS5. I politely declined and drove straight to the nearest Mercedes dealer. Found a gorgeous '19 C63S and cut a deal on the spot. They also gave me $30K for my trade. So, my saga with the RS comes to a close next week. I've still got my '13 S4, so I remain in the AudiWorld. But, a new story begins when I get the keys for the new "S".