Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

How do aim the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do aim the headlights

Ok i just got the S5 back from the stone chip replacement of everything in the front end (see previous post) and the headlights are now WAY off to the right and are WAY too low. So short of the *** reaming that the dealer is going to get on Tuesday, how do I go about reaiming them myself (or where is it in the manual) because I refuse to drive this at night now since it is so bad.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sigredz
Ok i just got the S5 back from the stone chip replacement of everything in the front end (see previous post) and the headlights are now WAY off to the right and are WAY too low. So short of the *** reaming that the dealer is going to get on Tuesday, how do I go about reaiming them myself (or where is it in the manual) because I refuse to drive this at night now since it is so bad.
Drive the car at night in front of a wall - park about 20-30 feet away and pop open your hood. Each headlight will have these two plastic screws that an Allen Wrench will turn. One on the left and one on the right of the unit. the left bolt adjusts up and down - eight adjust right and left.

Play with them until the beams are create a solid line and beam as high as you want them to.

Go in front of the lights when done - and squat like an oncoming driver to make sure youre not blinding anyone.

This worked for me.

good luck
Old 07-06-2010, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cabriolow's comments are correct as long as you don't have the dynamic headlights (which adjust automatically). Otherwise, if you do, it would take a VagCom or dealer to adjust.

Originally Posted by cabriolow
Drive the car at night in front of a wall - park about 20-30 feet away and pop open your hood. Each headlight will have these two plastic screws that an Allen Wrench will turn. One on the left and one on the right of the unit. the left bolt adjusts up and down - eight adjust right and left.

Play with them until the beams are create a solid line and beam as high as you want them to.

Go in front of the lights when done - and squat like an oncoming driver to make sure youre not blinding anyone.

This worked for me.

good luck
Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HoustonA5
Cabriolow's comments are correct as long as you don't have the dynamic headlights (which adjust automatically). Otherwise, if you do, it would take a VagCom or dealer to adjust.
Good point - im assuming everyone cheaped out like me and got the base model - and we all know what happens when you AssUme
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hehe.. true true.. I knew where you were coming from, and you're comments are always right on track.. wanted to give the option POV, although, based on the symptom, I'm fairly sure he has the halogen's that need to be aimed per your comment.

Originally Posted by cabriolow
Good point - im assuming everyone cheaped out like me and got the base model - and we all know what happens when you AssUme
Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm guessing I have the adjusting Xenon plus lights, because every now and then when I start it the head lights dip and come back up. On the headlamp housing, I see the two screws you are describing except they have a phillips head + shape to them. I called to let the dealer know and they are going to adjust them when I take it in to get the front license plate holder installed since they "forgot to order it" along with all the other parts.

I am guessing that if I try to adjust the Xenon plus lights on my own, I will get the "headlights out of range" error?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, that could happen. best to let the dealer deal with it. I get that error occasionally when i hit a rather hard bump. But it does away after a few seconds, and they work fine.

I am guessing that if I try to adjust the Xenon plus lights on my own, I will get the "headlights out of range" error?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing I have the adjusting Xenon plus lights, because every now and then when I start it the head lights dip and come back up. On the headlamp housing, I see the two screws you are describing except they have a phillips head + shape to them. I called to let the dealer know and they are going to adjust them when I take it in to get the front license plate holder installed since they "forgot to order it" along with all the other parts.

asked my dealer to raise them and they told me the car constantly measures the angle of the lights relative to level so they cant be adjusted. My car was also ordered w/o the front plate mount and they initially tried to stick me with the cost of the new grill. Had them install the new grill at their expense and they didn't put the hardware for the license plate screws in so now I have to take it back again.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

After the dealer aimed them too high on the driver side, this time, I called thema nd said I was going to aim them myself and have them clear the code.

so I reaimed them properly and I'm guessing I didn't adjust too far for the computer to puke an error.

I CAN FINALLY SEE AT NIGHT AGAIN!