Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Looking for a 2009 S5

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a 2009 S5

Can you guys share or point me to one place that outlines options on the 08 and 09 S5? I have been searching and really not finding what I am looking for list wise in one location.

I am new to the S5 so trying to do my homework before I purchase. From what I am seeing there is a Prest and Prem Plus model. Looks like Prest gives you like push button start.

The things I really want are sport pack and staggered wheel set up. Not sure if these are standard or an option.

I noticed in one list it said something about adjustable shocks but could not find that anywhere else and that is where I am lost. So can someone share are there just 2 models the Prest and Prem Plus? Then an entire list of all options/packages available and what they include. Again I found a list that listed out like tech pack then a bunch of individual items you could order but on that list I saw nothing about sport package and or option for staggered wheel set up

This will help me then be able to have a list so I can pick the used car I want that has these.

Thank you
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am uploading the 2009 S5 order guide for you, for the US market. Available options were:

1. Nav package with voice control
2. Tech package (requires Nav pkg) - rear parking system with camera, adaptive headlights, advanvced key and side assist.
3. Drive select - adaptive dampers and dynamic steering system
4. Adaptive cruise control - requires nav pkg
5. Bang and Olufsen premium sound
6. iPod interface
7. Various choices of inlays - vavona wood, carbon atlas, stainless steel

Options for the 2008 S5 were similar except (if memory serves) Side Asist and Drive Select were not available. I believe terms for option packages such as premium, prestige, prestige plus, etc were introduced later - perhaps in 2010. Note that there is no such thing as "sport pack." Also staggered wheels were not an option - please keep in mind that this car is quattro, and consequently staggered wheels are not a good idea as it only serves to amplify the inherent understeer characteristics of the car. If you want the staggered look you should investigate the use of after-market wheel spacers instead.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi_2009_order_guide.pdf (1.07 MB, 749 views)

Last edited by ChipB; 02-04-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you very much. That makes sense on the staggered set up. I saw one the other day and the wheels from behind look rather wide so maybe it was an aftermarket set up or it just could have been the 255’s.

I am on the edge now of a 2008 M3 or stay Audi and get either a 2008/2009 S5. I live in the NE so even though we do not get much snow anymore it looked like the M3 would have trouble getting around in any snow. I know you can run snows on it and it would be ok but the M3 does not look like it has much ground clearance in the front at all.

Originally Posted by ChipB
I am uploading the 2009 S5 order guide for you, for the US market. Available options were:

1. Nav package with voice control
2. Tech package (requires Nav pkg) - rear parking system with camera, adaptive headlights, advanvced key and side assist.
3. Drive select - adaptive dampers and dynamic steering system
4. Adaptive cruise control - requires nav pkg
5. Bang and Olufsen premium sound
6. iPod interface
7. Various choices of inlays - vavona wood, carbon atlas, stainless steel

Options for the 2008 S5 were similar except (if memory serves) Side Asist and Drive Select were not available. I believe terms for option packages such as premium, prestige, prestige plus, etc were introduced later - perhaps in 2010. Note that there is no such thing as "sport pack." Also staggered wheels were not an option - please keep in mind that this car is quattro, and consequently staggered wheels are not a good idea as it only serves to amplify the inherent understeer characteristics of the car. If you want the staggered look you should investigate the use of after-market wheel spacers instead.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M3 really is not a direct competitor of the S5 - the 335i is more on par - so I would advise that you think through your priorities. The M3 is faster than the S5, but as you note it is not quattro, so won't be as good in the rain and snow. My S5 gets smoked by M3s at the track, unless it starts to get a bit damp out, and then I am quicker. BTW my wife drives an E93 335i convertible - we put snows on it for the winter and it's really not bad, but not in the same league as the S5 with snows. Of course any car with proper snow tires is going to be better than the typical SUV running on all seasons.

Other things to consider in your Audi vs bimmer considerations are exterior and interior styling (Audi wins hands down), handling and steering feel (+1 for the M3), no run-flats (+1 Audi), and maintenence/repair costs (probably a toss up).
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree 100%. How the M3 came into the pic was I was looking at an S5 at a BMW dealer and they had just gotten in a 2008 M3 with 40k miles. It is a one owner leased and serivced through them.

I was talking to the guy and jokingly said hey if you would take $31k I may buy that. He called back later that day and saif if you want it for $31k it is yours. If you want it as a CPO then it is $34k.

I am running all seasons on my older A6 now and from what I am reading the M3 especially with LSD with winter tires will be just as good as your A6 with all seasons on it except for teh ground clearance in the front.

Now you put winter tires on the Audi and you can not even compare the two.

It is to the point around here in the NE we literally get 1 or 2 bad storms a season and the roads are clean by the time I hit them that is why I am even considering the M3 and the price.

Originally Posted by ChipB
The M3 really is not a direct competitor of the S5 - the 335i is more on par - so I would advise that you think through your priorities. The M3 is faster than the S5, but as you note it is not quattro, so won't be as good in the rain and snow. My S5 gets smoked by M3s at the track, unless it starts to get a bit damp out, and then I am quicker. BTW my wife drives an E93 335i convertible - we put snows on it for the winter and it's really not bad, but not in the same league as the S5 with snows. Of course any car with proper snow tires is going to be better than the typical SUV running on all seasons.

Other things to consider in your Audi vs bimmer considerations are exterior and interior styling (Audi wins hands down), handling and steering feel (+1 for the M3), no run-flats (+1 Audi), and maintenence/repair costs (probably a toss up).