Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

MMI Contact Directory issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Contact Directory issues

I am well aware and have researched the various Bluetooth issues with the MMI. My issue was that my "private" or direct download from my Galaxy nexus phone did not include all my groups. So only about 10% of my contacts would download each time my phone connected.

I have been able to resolve some of this issue (some of the time) by installing the "Bluetooth Phonebook" app. This app tweaks the Bluetooth android stack to help it work in more cars. After installation, all contacts downloaded and I thought I was golden!

But....then randomly I would only get....I don't know a category and a half of my contacts. Or duplicate contacts. Or it would be perfect. Have no idea what triggers success or failure.

So then I started exploring other options. If I could just download my directory and KEEP IT there (it doesn't change that often) I would be okay with that. So I played with exporting contacts and then importing them. But, of course, you can only have 100 of these types of contacts in the memory. And I have around 1,000 contacts. Now I don't need all those contacts in my car, but I can't pick or choose with the Bluetooth option. So I either get my unreliable Bluetooth download, or pick 100 fixed contacts to import. Are these my only options?

So now I am looking at public contacts. My thought is, if I can make my contacts public, they will still be there even if the download does not work correctly. In looking at the manual (yup, read that a few times!) it says that if you use the "restricted telephone" option (which I cannot find anywhere) it will copy the directory to the public directory. It also says the first time it downloads a Bluetooth directory it is supposed to copy it to the public directory (it did not). I also know you can go in and make a copy of each contact and mark it public (would take forever). The way mine is working....when downloaded correctly I get a private directory, when the phone is off, I have no contacts. So it is not copying anything to the public directory.

So is there anyway to copy all of your private contacts to a public directory and is it limited to 100 or not?

Not really sure what else I can do.

Thanks,
BJBBJB
Old 02-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hmmmm, tricky problem.

Have an Android (now 4.3) device too, and did some BT research also the last few years, and as I wrote earlier, the BT phonebook app seems to solve most problems (as long as the synced groups have less then 2000 contacts).

Will try to see how this public contacts work and see if I have the same behaviour (MMI 3G+ with SIM/CONNECT, and Sony Xperia Z1)
Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wieRS5
hmmmm, tricky problem.

Have an Android (now 4.3) device too, and did some BT research also the last few years, and as I wrote earlier, the BT phonebook app seems to solve most problems (as long as the synced groups have less then 2000 contacts).

Will try to see how this public contacts work and see if I have the same behaviour (MMI 3G+ with SIM/CONNECT, and Sony Xperia Z1)
Thanks...looking forward to any input.
I tried to selecting just one group, say "friends" in the BT Phone book app...and when it works, it works!! However half the time the phone's old BT stack seems to get in there first and I get the same messed up other group that I was getting before I installed the BT phonebook app.

Since it has to "re-download" every time you turn on the car, it is just not reliable.

It seems if the BT app is active and on the main screen, and geeez...what else, if I have deleted the "wrong" directory, then I get the right one downloaded. But then if I forget to leave the BTapp active or close it, or even sometimes if it is active and on the main screen, it sometimes doesn't work.

May just pick the 100 I need and import them into whatever directory that is called and be done with it.

Too bad, a really cool thing to have when it works...

BJBBJB