Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Question about A5 2.0T APR stage 1 & 2 tune, difference, supporting mods necessary

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverEnoughBoost
So I have a 2011 A5 that I couldn't be happier with it overall. Coming from an 08 Evo, the quality of the car inside and out and the ride comfort is just miles ahead of Mitsubishi which is what I expected, but there seems to be some untapped power from the 2.0T. Since the Evo also has a 2.0 with a turbo I just figured it would be pretty easy to get the A5 tuned to be relatively close to the factory Evo specs regardless of the difference in design and engineering. I came across the APR tunes and I found numbers that I would be more than happy with if I go ahead and get the tune. I noticed stage 1 and stage 2 aren't too far apart as far as power, but if all I need is an intake and a high flow cat I wouldn't mind getting the stage 2. If I need a whole new exhaust I'll pass and just get stage 1.

My questions:

As most probably already know, in the tuner world, an intake, exhaust, and tune will get a forced induction engine very noticeable gains (my Evo gained about 80whp from these alone). I have read a bunch of posts in this forum and I'm under the impression that getting any intake is just a waste of money and that the factory system is just fine unless you're upgrading the turbo and going all out. Is this true? I don't care about sound or an extra 1-2 HP. If it won't be complimented very well with a tune then I'll just leave it out.

Can I run the stage 2 with a high flow cat rather than a whole exhaust system? With under 300hp, I would think most stock exhaust systems can handle it without needing to be replaced. Are the stock systems super-restrictive or something?

I'm not looking to race this car or do anything crazy. I just like to have the option to accelerate better than the factory 2.0T when I need to, or when I just want to have a little fun. Thanks everyone

Lastly, if anyone wants to recommend another tune other than APR, feel free. This one just seems to have the biggest gains.
The stage 2 with the system is very different. It gives the car a meaner grumble to it. It's also notabley faster off the line. The stage 2 adds a lot more touqe, or at least you feel it more. If you're going to go stage 2 I recommend a high performance intake. It's not so much air flow as it is temp. When you're boosting an engine that much the turbo will heat the air, so you'll get premature piston fires or knocking. You can always do a stage 1 and see how you like it. If you feel like you want more go to stage 2. And is you want a rocketahip at 360hp and almost 400 ft pounds of touqe, get a k04.