Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Stone Chips .. on front bumper A5 - Monsoon Grey

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone Chips .. on front bumper A5 - Monsoon Grey

Is it still ok to wash the car through Touchless having stone chips ?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, 100%.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

touch them up the best you can then put a clear sports bra on the hood the headlights and fenders and bumper and outside mirrors.
this should help hide the chips as well as prevent any future chips damaging the paint.
i have this on my 2010 a5 and anytime you see a scuff mark on it, it means it could have been a potential chip.
it's a 3m product that's easy to care for. just wash it as you would the car and once in awhile put some wax on it. it's that's easy. cost should rang around $400 to $500+ for complete coverage of the entire front of the car. a small price to pay instead of having a hood or fender repainted. if it starts to bubble at all which it shouldn't they will replace that section for free!!!
there's a web site clearbranj.com that can help you, they may even come to you to do it.also armorclear.com which i used and they will come to ur house or office.

hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info....Im going to check out the sports bar option.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just a couple suggestions . . .

On my last car I had two separate clear bra installations. I had one on the front of the hood, then had the bumper done later. So I had a great chance to see them both on the same car.

One was the 3M Clear Bra while the other was Venture Shield. If you have a chance, try to see examples of both to see which you like. 3M Clear Bra is nice, but has a slight texture from some angles. Venture Shield is completely clear. VS is more flexible, so is easier to apply to complicated bumpers. My preference is for Venture Shield, but that is kind of a personal.

I would also check to see their installation technique. In one technique, the film is actually cut while in place on the car. I did not know this was going to be done on my hood installation. It looks fine, but there are always horror stories of removing the film and finding a fine line where they were too aggressive with the blade.

The other technique is to precut the film with templates. Again, this is kind a personal choice, but I like this approach better than cutting it on the car.

I also had VS placed on my headlights. This was completely invisible, and looked super.

(PS: 3M purchased Venture Shield a while ago, so now has both types of film available)
Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a full Ventureshield wrap on the front (full hood, quarter panels, all lights and bumper). The edges of the film are very hard to see. You have to be looking for them to find them. I've had some road debris hit the car with absolutely no paint or headlight chips. I would highly recommend it for your headlights.
Attached Images