Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Unhappy rs5 owner #2

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unhappy rs5 owner #2

Hi, everyone.

I have a 2013 rs5 and has been giving me problems since I bought it. I had a radiator hose leak underneath the front of the car, another radiator leak from a hose near the engine, long crank when tryin to start the car, the breather values popped open when I started the car, and the check engine light won't go off. Took it to the dealership 3 times cause I was concern about the long crank and the check engine light. They couldn't give me an answer on why this was happening. I guess they just reset everything, so the engine light would go off then less than a week the light comes back on again. I took it back to the dealer for the 4th time cause both breather values popped open with white smoke, while I was trying to start the engine. They told me the values were dirty and clogged so I replaced them costing $982. Got the car back, engine light came back on and smells like burning sometimes.

Please, Audi veterans! Could someone tell me what's going on with my car? I talked to Audi USA about buying my car back or replacing it, but they said sorry we are unable to help you. BS. Thanks, fam for listening.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Well, things can break, especially on a high strung car like this, however if they can't fix your check engine light after 3 visits to the dealer you may have grounds to invoke the lemon law. Although, I think your car might be too old. I believe there is a time and mileage limit after which it's not considered a lemon anymore.

A good dealer would have requested an Audi engineer by now to look at the issue. I had a transmission leak early on that wasn't fixed on the first attempt, so my dealer immediately contacted Audi and got an engineer out who stayed until the issue was fixed.

Coincidentally, my car today just developed a coolant leak. Might be same as yours. I was already scheduled for my 45,000 miles service on Friday, so one more item to add to the list.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RS5 ?

I was looking at a low mileage RS5, but it had 2 owners in less than 14,000 miles. These cars seem to be very temperamental and would not make a good daily driver. I saw one picture of a front brake rotor that was clearly warped.
I have owned two S4's and the second(an avant) needed a brake fix at 48,000 miles ( pretty good and never had any brake shutter). We traded our old S4 Avant for a '12 A7 and have been very happy with the car.
I guess the "R" models are just going to be high maintenance cars.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would say on average an RS needs more maintenance. You kinda have to go in with that mindset, especially if you plan to drive it like it's meant to be driven. That doesn't mean it makes a bad daily driver. On the contrary, it's an excellent GT and I daily mine. 45,000 miles in pretty much exactly 3 years. Lots of road trips, too. The first 4000 miles were done in about 4 weeks in Germany etc. after taking delivery in Ingolstadt. Drove the snot out of it on the Autobahn. Regularly take it for a blast through the canyons. Given that I drive this car much harder than I did any of my cars before, I'm actually quite pleased.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

...and as you guys know, my '13 RS5 just keeps on trucking at 53k, no brake issues, no issues whatsoever and is a daily driver. Must be the clean air in ND.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My sense is that the dealer is not very motivated...

These cars are finicky, but not "rocket science". Your problems are not intermittent. Did you buy the car from them? Have you had the car since new? Perhaps another venue is in order. I have had nine Audis and the RS5 has required the most attention; odd codes, warrantied brakes, aggressive alignment eats tires at 10K intervals, but some of this is in the cards when you sign up for such a beast. Our S4/S5/S5's have been consistently unsurprising on failures, which is wonderful.

If you have not been the owner throughout the car's life, you may have legacy factors from an abused adolescence in your RS5.

Not to bang a tired drum, but the very nature of German performance cars has prompted me to always lease - three years and out. I still pamper them and when the lease is over, I am often rewarded with additional trade-in value (my 2012 A6 was immaculate and the dealer gave me an additional $1700 at turn-in). The dealer called me yesterday inquiring if I was willing to get out of my RS5 as they have a customer looking for a CPO. I said sure… lot's of great cars to drive. I am waiting to see if the customer wants my RS5.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 04-16-2016, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Eric-

Is it more cost-effective to lease? I'm considering a lease but drive 18-20000 miles/yr.
My Audis are always extremely clean too, (the only way!)

Thx
Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DavidA
Eric-

Is it more cost-effective to lease? I'm considering a lease but drive 18-20000 miles/yr.
My Audis are always extremely clean too, (the only way!)

Thx
Audis are not good to lease. They have low residuals. If you do lease them you should trade them in before the end of the lease, because you most likely have equity. You can also buy and sell it to a private party, but you only have a small window between buying and selling it, otherwise you end up paying sales taxes in most states. However, with your annual mileage, leasing is an even worse idea. Leases are typically for 12-15k miles/yr. I leased my previous Audi, but first of all I didn't lease through Audi FS and I ended up buying it cash at the end of the lease and keeping it for a few more years. Buying and financing it after the lease is not a good idea, either, as you end up paying interest twice on the residual.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The lease question...

.. At least for me, the calculous has always pointed to the lease - but to be fair, I never focus on a single car when i am hunting (which, according to my wife is - always). I decide what I can afford and find the best opportunity in that wheelhouse. SO, for example, in 2013, I was deciding between a TTRs and the S5 - both in the low $60's. No lease program on the TTrs = 875/month: S5 with program = $580/month. The winner was….the S5.

When I lived on Cape Cod - I was putting 20K/year so I just bought the miles upfront at half the cost.

Yesterday, we drove a 2016 Volvo Polestar Wagon in Rebel Blue - what a hoot. Only 120 coming to U.S. Culver City Volvo bought five -the GM is a great car guy - drives a Porsche Slantnose. Makes me so desirous of the S4/RS4 Avant. He's working numbers and trying to buy out my RS5… I will keep you posted (2105 RS5 17K miles - buyout is $61K).

Oh, the times are good for car guys…

Eric
Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
.. At least for me, the calculous has always pointed to the lease - but to be fair, I never focus on a single car when i am hunting (which, according to my wife is - always). I decide what I can afford and find the best opportunity in that wheelhouse. SO, for example, in 2013, I was deciding between a TTRs and the S5 - both in the low $60's. No lease program on the TTrs = 875/month: S5 with program = $580/month. The winner was….the S5.

When I lived on Cape Cod - I was putting 20K/year so I just bought the miles upfront at half the cost.

Yesterday, we drove a 2016 Volvo Polestar Wagon in Rebel Blue - what a hoot. Only 120 coming to U.S. Culver City Volvo bought five -the GM is a great car guy - drives a Porsche Slantnose. Makes me so desirous of the S4/RS4 Avant. He's working numbers and trying to buy out my RS5… I will keep you posted (2105 RS5 17K miles - buyout is $61K).

Oh, the times are good for car guys…

Eric
Best of luck with your negotiations. Please continue to post on Audiworld as you have great insight!