Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Voice command in the S5 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jb123
Took delivery of my S5 cab about 3 weeks ago, I am angry as well. The salesman said he did not anything about it. I find it unacceptable, it is clearly in the sales docs and in the user manuals. NOWHERE does it mention anything about it not being available in the cab. I think its deceptive advertising.
On another note I have the rear-sports differential package, an $1100 option, that comes with what they claim is the audi select package, but now i understand it is not the full "driver select package", meaning it does not include the "dampers" and some additional steering options. Again no-where is this mentioned in the sales brochure or the audi website.
I agree with you. You should get what you pay for and Audi has not done this. I need a few more guys like you to get with me and make some noise!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

not trying to sound smug, but why did you take delivery if it did not have the options you expected?

As for the brochures, they go to print long before the cars are produced for that model year. Stuff happens, and sometimes the option does not make production. Happens in all brands; happens in other products as well. Like it or not, the back of each brochure explains their best attempts to explain which options will be available. What could have clarified the sale is that you could have told the dealer that the sale was conditional that the car ordered will arrive with all options expected, else the deal is off. You have/had that power to do so.

BTW, the sport diff and the drive select options "are" clearly spelled out in the brochures, and on the website. Kind of confused about that comment...
Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jb123
Ok I can deal with no voice control, not happy but will survive. A touch screen would be next logical choice, navigating MMI with the control ***** is awkward. If a $100 Garmin can do it seems like would be a win.
I could not agree more. I took delivery of my A5 cab premium plus w/ MMI yesterday...Love the car, but i'm really disappointed with the lack of voice control. I'm not as enraged as some folks on here because, thanks to this forum, i knew about it before i picked it up (but not before i ordered it).

That said, it really, really, REALLY limits the usability of the MMI system. Entering numbers to dial using the **** is awkward and slow. Quite frankly its easier to dial it on the phone. I've not yet had to enter an address into Nav, but i'm sure i'll be equally annoyed. If they took out the module in the cab, they should have compensated with a touch screen or something.

What can be done though? I'm new to Audi, this one is my first. I'm sure the customary complaining and nasty letters will only get us so far, has anyone tried a civilized approach at a solution? I apologize if someone already has and has detailed it in this forum, i have not read through all the posts. Are there efforts underway to get it resolved or has AoA basically said deal with it?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would suggest everyone talk with their dealer - talk to AOA customer service and keep being polite. Just do not take no for an answer and insist that they fix the issue. It is something then can do with a change to the MMI software. If enough people make it an issue they may do something.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Voice Command in My Cabriolet Now WORKS!!!!

Yes, you read that right, my Voice Command now works in my 2010 S5 Prestige Cabriolet. I followed the previously listed Vag-Com proceedures and then changed languages several times. In fact, I changed to Spanish last night, then today while driving changed to French and then to English and when I then tried Voice Command, it worked!!

Don't give up. With Vag-Com it seems all things are possible.

I will post a new thread on the steps I took.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
not trying to sound smug, but why did you take delivery if it did not have the options you expected?

As for the brochures, they go to print long before the cars are produced for that model year. Stuff happens, and sometimes the option does not make production. Happens in all brands; happens in other products as well. Like it or not, the back of each brochure explains their best attempts to explain which options will be available. What could have clarified the sale is that you could have told the dealer that the sale was conditional that the car ordered will arrive with all options expected, else the deal is off. You have/had that power to do so.

BTW, the sport diff and the drive select options "are" clearly spelled out in the brochures, and on the website. Kind of confused about that comment...
The sales rep was a little vague at the time of delivery. To quote his words:"voice control has limited use in the cab." I didn't figure out what that meant until a week or so later when I realized that there was NO voice control.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
I would suggest everyone talk with their dealer - talk to AOA customer service and keep being polite. Just do not take no for an answer and insist that they fix the issue. It is something then can do with a change to the MMI software. If enough people make it an issue they may do something.
I've done that and even wrote to Johan deNeeshan, President of AOA. I got a call from his "representative" a few days ago, saying they would not fix the problem and what would I like them to do for me. I said they could refund my $74,000. I did not say that I was going to return the car. I like the car, very much. Let's see what happens. The plot thickens!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigdog470
I've done that and even wrote to Johan deNeeshan, President of AOA. I got a call from his "representative" a few days ago, saying they would not fix the problem and what would I like them to do for me. I said they could refund my $74,000. I did not say that I was going to return the car. I like the car, very much. Let's see what happens. The plot thickens!
Obviously they will not refund your money and not take back the car. You should seriously decide what you want and be resonable. If there is an aftermarket option tell them the cost and that you want it installed.

If you want them to do something for you, then you have to make a resonable thought out request.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Recent post by AUDIQSS

"Today I finally got Voice Command to work in my 2010 S5 Prestige Cabriolet.
Here is what I did:

Step 1: Using Vag-Com:
A. Go to Electronics2
B. Go to Module 5F
C. Open Long Coding
D. Change the last five digits to read …… 10000
(For example: 01010001010681ED01002B1E000000010000)
E. Do It
F. Back out of Vag-Com

Step 2: Change Language (Using MMI):
A. Setup
B. Select -- Settings
C. Select -- Menu Language
D. Change to Spanish/French/etc.
E. Return to English and Voice Command should work.

Now in practice you may have to change language several times before it activates Voice Command. I, in fact , tried a number of different times without success. Here is what I did most recently and it finally worked.
After finishing Step 1, I changed to Spanish using the MMI. I then shut the car down and left it overnight. I then started the car and while driving I used Step 2 to change to French and then to English. At that point I tried the Voice Command button and it WORKED. Amen Brother.

As others have said and I will repeat: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU DO WITH OR TO YOUR CAR. THE ABOVE "INSTRUCTIONS" ARE FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. "
Old 04-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
Obviously they will not refund your money and not take back the car. You should seriously decide what you want and be resonable. If there is an aftermarket option tell them the cost and that you want it installed.

If you want them to do something for you, then you have to make a resonable thought out request.
The local Audi dealer installed a Parrot voice operated telephone system. It seems to be working OK. They did foot the bill for this item. It's good but it's not the whole enchalada

Quick Reply: Voice command in the S5 Cabriolet