Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What is the weakest Performance link in S5? Suspension, brakes, HP, Torque? compared to Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the weakest Performance link in S5? Suspension, brakes, HP, Torque? compared to Cayman S?

In market for a replacement for my B5 S4 which has been GREAT for me... S5 is definately high up on the list along with Cayman S, but I really do not wanna go slower than my current car and not sure if S5 is faster!

My S4 has been fairing very well next to Porsche Cayman on Track... How does S5 fair? from this link,not so well!

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=45fd0fcbd70cb&a mp;car2=458d5d96147b9

I believe brakes and suspension are weakest link on S5, and was hoping better brakes and maybe Audi Drive Select will change S5 from GT to more of a sports car... or are we talking two totally different cars?

Thanks<ul><li><a href="http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&amp;car1=45fd0fcbd70cb&a mp;car2=458d5d96147b9">http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&amp;car1=45fd0fcbd70cb&a mp;car2=458d5d96147b9</a</li></ul>
Old 08-18-2008, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: What is the weakest Performance link in S5?

nothing will make the S5 a sports car
thats not what it was designed for
if you want a sports car get the Cayman S
there's a world of difference between the 2 cars
Old 08-18-2008, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can't really speak for the S5, only having spent about 30 minutes driving one...

...but my guess is a major difference on the track is in weight. The S5 weighs about 3600lbs and the Cayman S about 2950lbs. 600lbs is a big difference, though both cars do come in around 10lbs/hp. Still, mass is mass.

The S5 is a fantastic car, and quattro is the "unfair advantage", but I think the additional mass will make it very hard for it to keep up with a Cayman (or other similarly light car) in the twisty bits.

That's not to say it won't be a great car on the track, and I know there are plenty of better drivers out there, but the Cayman is just so EASY to drive fast. It really makes me look like better driver than I am. (Of course, I always thought my A4 did that as well!)

On other points, I find the CS to be a very comfortable long-distance cruiser (I have the sport seats), will hold a suprising amount of stuff (though not nearly what the S5 will), is very impressively put together (I think the interior is darn near up to Audi standards and it's very solidly built), and I'm getting 20.5 mpg combined and 27 mpg on the highway. Yeah, it cost too much, but it's practical! In a way... :-)

In the end, they are very different cars. Drive both, get what you like best, and don't look back!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default the S5 is not a track car, period - keep your B5 or get the p-car

the S5 is a touring car, its heavy and has roll. drive a CS around the block and it will be 1+1=2 of the car you should get. no if you want a trunk and are over 40 years old then there are other choices
Old 08-18-2008, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I can't really speak for the S5, only having spent about 30 minutes driving one...

If you need a daily driver or take long weekend trips, I would get the S5. More creature comforts than the Cayman S but still sporty. If you want a track car or do pure sports fun and already have a daily driver, the Cayman S is hard to beat. By the way, I believe that a brand new Cayman comes out soon in 2010 MY so that would be the one to get for a sports car. I hope to save until then and see if I get a pure sports car or the S5/A5. I had a blast driving both the Cayman and the S5 but admit the S5 had much nicer interior and cooler tech features (nav/backup camera) but the Cayman was more pure sports car fun to drive. Of course, for a pure track car nothing beats the Lotus Exige S in my book for ultimate track car under 80k. If I wanted a sports car and something livable the Cayman would be better than the Lotus.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I beg to differ, At the full Audi track day, the S5 was able to catch

The RS4 in the corner and carry more spead through the exit. Even the RS4 has more power, the most it could pull down the straight was maybe a car length. Car is very stable on the track. No brake fade ether.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 AM

Default Re: What is the weakest Performance link in S5? Suspension, brakes, HP, Torque? compared to Cayman S

I actually own a 2006 Cayman S. I am strongly considering getting the S5. The Cayman is an awesome sports car, and would be ideal on the race track. However, I really want to get a car that is a combination of good looks, good speed, and nice features/comfort. I commute about an hour a day for work, and the seats on my cayman S can become a tad uncomfortable after a while. The interior is maybe just a notch below Audis, but you you really start paying for a lot of features (nav, etc). You can't go wrong with either decision, but I think I will be trading mine for an S5. PS, you can get great deals on used cayman S's on autotrader or ebay motors. Take care.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default its not a track car, its not a p-car. I am on the track every month

it eats through tires and brakes. its heavy and has tons of roll, its like mush in corners. it a street car.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

what if you upgraded the brakes/suspension? B5 S4 stock brake/suspesnion was crap, STaSIS fixed it
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Alternatives

Porsche does steering feel and handling like no other except those funny red cars with horses on them. But there's always a trade-off. Ride comfort and road noise are two significant trade-offs if you do long commutes and your roads are less than smooth.

I took an RS4 at a private event on the track and it felt piggish and top heavy into medium and slow corners. The 911, or Cayman feels significantly faster through the same corners and can brake much, much later and carry more speed through the corner.

You might want to think about a used 911 for both road and track use. Or keep your current car and buy an earlier 911 that's already been prepped for the track.

Quick Reply: What is the weakest Performance link in S5? Suspension, brakes, HP, Torque? compared to Cayman S?