Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 SB - bouncey rear, poor shock/spring match?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fettekatze
I'm no expert at this, but I think the H&R's on the B9 A5 rides just fine. No complaints, and it removes the rear bouncing issue. Lowers exactly as advertised too, 0.8" per corner for the S-Line.

My last car was an NSX and I went through Zeal B6, BC Racing with Swift springs, and then KW V3 coilovers. The KW V3's were the softest and best out of those unsurprisingly but they were still really stiff for daily street use and by then the car already had a lot of squeaks and rattles from being beat up by the cheaper even stiffer spring rates. A5 with H&Rs rides much much softer than any of those. It's barely stiffer than stock.
NSX -> A5 Sportback. Interesting move.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeebuspwnz
NSX -> A5 Sportback. Interesting move.
Yeah I was ready for a more practical, quiet, comfortable, more "adult" car. Don't get me wrong though, the NSX is an amazing timelss car and it was a great ownership experience. Nothing really ever broke on that thing, and absolutely nothing electrical. I figure that putting 80k miles on mine is more than what most people have gotten to do, and I sold it to a coworker so I'll still see/drive it from time to time. I got tired of all the unwanted attention, mainly from ricer kids. With the JB4 the A5 is much quicker at low speeds. The 5spd gear ratios were awful, and it was my biggest pet peeve with the car. It's an absolute dog from 40-60mph since it's out of its narrow powerband, and highway cruising was loud since it turns 3500RPM at 80mph. The NSX was very cheap to DD though, and the Audi will cost me a lot more to own overall. I figure if I ever have the cash and want one again I can always get a 97+ with the 6spd, one in better shape than mine, perhaps with a supercharger installed. By then something like that will be like $100k+ though lol. No coilovers though. I'll just do the Bilsteins with the lowered perch thing.

A5 SB - bouncey rear, poor shock/spring match?-xcktjdl.jpg

Last edited by fettekatze; 05-20-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Nice looking NSX, those wheels would look good on the Audi A5 SB!
Old 05-20-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
Nice looking NSX, those wheels would look good on the Audi A5 SB!
I'm totally thinking about some silver finish 20" TSW Bathursts the next time I need new tires. The TSW's on the NSX treated me well.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by fettekatze
I'm totally thinking about some silver finish 20" TSW Bathursts the next time I need new tires. The TSW's on the NSX treated me well.
Those would look awesome too!
Old 06-07-2018, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sorry to hear about this. I am considering the purchase of a new A5 Cabriolet but this makes me reconsider. I used to own a BMW Z3 roadster that had the same problem and that is why I no longer own it. Driving that car made me nervous and if the Audi A5 / S5 have a similar problem, I don't want to buy one. Does your vehicle have the adaptive suspension in addition to the sport suspension? If not, I wonder if having the adaptive suspension means one can adjust the stiffness to solve the problem. I noticed you are considering modifications to deal with the problem. I hope you find a solution but I don't want to purchase a new A5 and find out I have to make modifications in order to feel comfortable driving it. I also wonder how many others have experienced this problem.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default i am concerned about this issue

Hi all, our A5 Sportback Premium Plus has the sport suspension and 19" wheel option. Overall the car is great, but it feels like the rear end is a pinch skittish over imperfect road surfaces. It does not feel as composed as I would expect of a car at this performance/luxury level. I've owned many cars with stiff suspension from the factory, and plenty with aftermarket suspension, so this isn't a case of noob factor.

I have tried running factory psi, 2 below, and 2 above, in the tires. But no dice. Are the sport springs just poorly matched to the shocks on the car? Any ideas?
Your post has me worried. I had a BMW Z3 with the same issue and I didn't like it. I am considering purchasing a new A5 Cabriolet but I don't want a car that is skittish in any way over imperfect road surfaces. A rough ride is one thing but not being confident the car is firmly planted on the road is another. Can you tell me whether you have the adaptive suspension in addition to the sport suspension. I'm not sure that would make a difference but I'm curious. I also wonder if any owners with the standard suspension experience the same problem.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi all, our A5 Sportback Premium Plus has the sport suspension and 19" wheel option. Overall the car is great, but it feels like the rear end is a pinch skittish over imperfect road surfaces. It does not feel as composed as I would expect of a car at this performance/luxury level. I've owned many cars with stiff suspension from the factory, and plenty with aftermarket suspension, so this isn't a case of noob factor.

I have tried running factory psi, 2 below, and 2 above, in the tires. But no dice. Are the sport springs just poorly matched to the shocks on the car? Any ideas?
I have exactly the same problem as you. 42000 miles and my 2018 S5 with adaptive suspension is very bouncy and every time I drive on a bump while turning slightly, the back jolts to the side as if it was sliding over the bump. It's a little scary at high speed. It's definitely not composed in terms of behavior. perfectly fine for smooth roads but it does not feel like I can be confident on bumpy roads. I tried all the suspension drive modes settings but it's all the same bounciness, especially the back of the car. I had an SQ5 before and it felt a lot more stable and secure. Any ideas anyone as to what this would be? I suspect it's the design of the back suspension system on the A5/S5 platform and there is nothing we can do but hopefully, I am wrong there.

Last edited by Roundwheel; 04-10-2023 at 07:57 AM.