Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 Sportback Rear Rattle over bumps ~ 35 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony M
I'm also annoyed by a rattle in this area. My wife pinpoints it when sitting in the back to the area where the c-pillar trim covers the seat belt so the location seems to be the same. But it's so light and tinny and sounds so superficial that I can't believe it is a structural weld problem. Also, it's present on tiny bumps/road irregularities at any speed. It sounds like I'd imagine a loose wire hitting on a panel to sound and I get the feeling that I could fix it instantly with a bit of foam tape if I could only find it. It also doesn't sound loud or significant enough to warrant the sort of repair your car has undergone. I don't think it would be recordable on a phone camera f'rinstance.

I'd love to investigate further, but I have a copy of the service manual and it seems to me that removal of the trim in this area is a major exercise that even involves dropping the roof lining. The rattle in my car just isn't intrusive enough to warrant letting the dealer do this or attempting it myself. Besides, on a smooth road, which is most of my driving, it just isn't heard.

So, it's a dilemma and I think I'll just put up with it for the present or maybe investigate if I can access this area just removing some easy lower trim components.

I'd love to get a better feel for the structural rattle you had in terms of loudness and character to work out if it's what I have or not. Would yours be noticed by the average passenger? Would you always hear it or would it sometimes appear to be absent? Could it be described as like a loose electrical wire, (which is what mine sounds like)?
It sounds to me like we are having the same issue. It sounds like a light tapping or clicking noise - I guess a lose electrical wire could be one way to describe it, but to me it sounded a little more mechanical or like a metal item jiggling around. If it helps, my first reaction was that the back seat must not be fully clipped into the upright position, or there was some jostling in that mechanism. But the rear seat was indeed totally locked into place and there were no lose mental components in that latching mechanism. My wife thought I was a little crazy - she heard it when I pointed it out, but would not have noticed it otherwise. Then again, she's not one to be **** about this stuff so she is biased against caring about rattles.

Now, if you ask me, if I had known I would be out of a car for 5 weeks, would I have gone through with the repair - maybe not. But I'm also happy it is fixed now. A big part of the delay was waiting on the part for the seatbelt bracket from Germany. Maybe you can arrange with your dealer so that while the part is on order, you can keep your car (if they deem that to be an issue?)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same rattle when going over bumps, sounds like the c pillar is tapping the rear screen. The car is going in on Monday for it's second service and I have asked they look at this as many A4 owners are experiencing similar.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

After a while trying to ignore and just live with my rear rattle, I've suddenly made a breakthrough.

It was particularly bad yesterday. On a whim, I stopped and dropped the center part of the back seat (the bit that holds the armrest). Result as total silence re the offending noise.

So, at least I can be reasonably sure it's in the centre section of the seat or something it connects to. I tried wriggling/thumping everything I could find there (armrest/storage lid/cupholders/headrest, but couldn't reproduce it. Some foam tape around the peg that the catch locks onto didn't help.

Of course I'll chase it further as soon as I get time, but finding roughly where the noise comes from should make it eminently traceable and fixable. In the interim, simply dropping the centre part of the seat down if it becomes particularly annoying works for me as a temporary workaround.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony M
After a while trying to ignore and just live with my rear rattle, I've suddenly made a breakthrough.

It was particularly bad yesterday. On a whim, I stopped and dropped the center part of the back seat (the bit that holds the armrest). Result as total silence re the offending noise.

So, at least I can be reasonably sure it's in the centre section of the seat or something it connects to. I tried wriggling/thumping everything I could find there (armrest/storage lid/cupholders/headrest, but couldn't reproduce it. Some foam tape around the peg that the catch locks onto didn't help.

Of course I'll chase it further as soon as I get time, but finding roughly where the noise comes from should make it eminently traceable and fixable. In the interim, simply dropping the centre part of the seat down if it becomes particularly annoying works for me as a temporary workaround.
This was the solution for me as well. I posted this in the other thread on this topic, For me, the rattle was coming from the center armrest as it latches in the upward position. I first just put some electrical tape on the latch, then replaced the tape with some felt from velcro strips I had. This appears to have totally silenced the rattle. I then used the same felt to cover the same latches on the outboard seats, just in case. For those that have folded the seats down and still heard the rattle, this is why it wasn't solved - the center armrest is still engaged when you fold the seat down so it would still rattle.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Also check the hinge on the hat shelf - I had similar problem, finally figured out one hinge was not fully seated.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello everyone.

I took delivery of my 2018 s5 sb recently. The car is amazing it’s everything I wanted in a car. I started noticing that over moderate to severe bumps there was a rattle in the back kinda like something shaking around In a box. After finding this forum I read up and saw others were having the same problem.
I’m going to be taking the car into the dealer soon, I read that some were saying the dealer found the rattle to be coming from the rear passenger seat belt compartment, some were having the rattle come from the back seat, and some even from the trunk. Tried putting the seats down and no success, touched around and couldn’t find anything loose. I want to narrow it down and make the downtime they have my car as short as possible. Can anyone give me some insight/tips how to find the problem.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2018, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CartoonzS5
Hello everyone.

I took delivery of my 2018 s5 sb recently. The car is amazing it’s everything I wanted in a car. I started noticing that over moderate to severe bumps there was a rattle in the back kinda like something shaking around In a box. After finding this forum I read up and saw others were having the same problem.
I’m going to be taking the car into the dealer soon, I read that some were saying the dealer found the rattle to be coming from the rear passenger seat belt compartment, some were having the rattle come from the back seat, and some even from the trunk. Tried putting the seats down and no success, touched around and couldn’t find anything loose. I want to narrow it down and make the downtime they have my car as short as possible. Can anyone give me some insight/tips how to find the problem.

Thanks in advance
Try dropping just the center armrest in the back. My rattle was coming from the hing for this armrest. If you drop the entire seat it will not isolate this rattle since the armrest is still engaged with the hing. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by CartoonzS5
Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance
Check the tools compartment behind the passenger set make sure everything there is seated correctly. Also, check the hat shelf hinges on mine mine one was not fully seated, must have happened during dealer prerp.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue with rattle in trunk

the issue was related to the license plate bracket. Dealer put two way tape between bracket and plate which resolved the problem.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Fiorella
the issue was related to the license plate bracket. Dealer put two way tape between bracket and plate which resolved the problem.
Thanks for reporting back to the thread.

Quick Reply: A5 Sportback Rear Rattle over bumps ~ 35 mph