Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone coming out of a 16 or later mustang gt to s5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed! It has a great ride! It was a major part of what sold me on getting my Audi. She loves her q5. Looking forward to more hands on with my s5 tomorrow when I pick it up so I can do more of a compare.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Had a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L Turbo and traded it in for the A5 last year, not exactly your situation, but a lot of similarities to the transition. Below are a few of the main differences I've noticed, some of which some of the earlier commenters also touched on:

1. Ride and Feel: The A5/S5 lean a bit more on the luxury grand tourer end of the spectrum, compared to the sport car feel of the mustang, it is a much more refined and insulated experience. I like it a lot more for daily highway driving, but missed the road feel and sound the mustang had during spirited driving. I like it cause I got it specifically for the more refined highway ride and overall solidity of the car, but the mustang was the better sports car in my opinion, and generally you could feel what the car was doing and the speed much more so than in the audi.

2. Build Quality: Pretty related to the point above, and no surprise given the price premium that the audi has the mustang beat, but not really as big as a difference I was hoping for. Have had a bunch of rattle/squeaks issues with my A5, especially when combined with the sport suspension and the low profile tires on the 19" wheels. Probably notice them even more because of how well insulated the cabin is, but between the dealer and myself, I've take care of the worst offenders.

3. Acceleration: This is where I was blown away by the A5, I had a tune and intercooler on my mustang pushing around 340HP and 380 Torque, but the stock A5 blows it out of the water. The 2.0L on the A5 is eons more refined and smoother, and when combined with the DSG and Quattro, it just hooks up and goes. However, sometimes it feels too refined, wish it had a more aggressive driving setting than dynamic. If I had to guess, I'd say the S5 will feel quicker than the GT in the majority of the situations, unless you're doing 100+ mph on the highway, but will never really feel as aggressive as the GT.

I really like the A5 and really glad I made the switch, but overall it's a bit of the different class of vehicle compared to the mustang and not a direct competitor. You'll get a more similar car with the TTS/S3, I've driven a few loaner A3s, and liked them way better as a sports car than the A5, they are a bit smaller and felt a lot more nimble/playful.

Last edited by A5Newbie; 05-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that! Great review!
Old 05-12-2019, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default And then there's the Challenger/Charger Hellcat.

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Nah man, mustang is a cool car, I'm not taking anything away from it, it's for something very different than the S5. Just wanted to reassure you that you wont miss too much!

The one thing is that the S5 is so much more composed than the stang, so it wont feel as fast - just make sure you are looking at that speedo because youll find yourself at super-legal speeds quickly in the S5 without realizing. The car has no qualms or drama running right up to 120mph.
Judging from the various 160+ (and one outrageous 198mph video) mph youtube and tickets/charges leveled against a few of their owners, there's a lot more hellacious (pun intended) cars out there than a Mustang GT or S5 or RS5. I think Darwinian selection will take care of most of them....
Old 05-13-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Judging from the various 160+ (and one outrageous 198mph video) mph youtube and tickets/charges leveled against a few of their owners, there's a lot more hellacious (pun intended) cars out there than a Mustang GT or S5 or RS5. I think Darwinian selection will take care of most of them....
When I was a younger guy and bought my first S car (v10 S6) I was interested in hitting the speed limiter of 155 - I did it once at 3am on a deserted highway and decided it wasn't worth it to do top speed runs, the slightest thing goes wrong and even on an empty road you're boned.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moved from a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost (performance package, totally loaded) to the wife's 2018 A5 PP and more recently my 2017 A5 Cabrio. As others have said, interior in the Audi is much more refined. Performance somewhat equal between the 2017 A5 and the Mustang, 2018 A5 is quicker, more responsive.

All 3 are great vehicles, but the Audis are just more refined and thought out. Blown away when the A5 Cabrio turned on the heated seats and cranked up the heat when I dropped the top in 50 degree weather and reversed the adjustments when I put the top back up. Mustang, not so well thought out.

JW
Old 05-13-2019, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the thoughts folks!
Old 05-15-2019, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming from a '16 GT PP 6M, which I loved except that I have a bum hip and the constant clutching/braking in Atlanta traffic finally pushed me over the edge. Power-wise, both cars are great. Handling-wise, both are great. Styling, I like both. Comfort, I'd give the nod to the S5. Longevity, don't know... this is my first Audi. My only real complaint with the Audi (other than nobody has cracked the ECU yet) is the lack of ventilated seats... really Audi? My $40k Ford had ventilated seats... would it have killed you to throw one more gee-whiz doodad in the car? OK, rant off
Old 05-15-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Couldn’t agree with you more. There are a few things that Audi needed to do to their cars....cap less gas tank, adaptive lights, heated and cooled cup holders, vented seats, and a few other small do dads. I do love the car so far, and the power is ample enough that I am not missing the stand yet. Thanks for the input and thoughts!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mumbles
Coming from a '16 GT PP 6M, which I loved except that I have a bum hip and the constant clutching/braking in Atlanta traffic finally pushed me over the edge. Power-wise, both cars are great. Handling-wise, both are great. Styling, I like both. Comfort, I'd give the nod to the S5. Longevity, don't know... this is my first Audi. My only real complaint with the Audi (other than nobody has cracked the ECU yet) is the lack of ventilated seats... really Audi? My $40k Ford had ventilated seats... would it have killed you to throw one more gee-whiz doodad in the car? OK, rant off
Warm Weather Package. I ordered it with them and find them very useful!

Quick Reply: Anyone coming out of a 16 or later mustang gt to s5?