Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone w/ rear dashcam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocko76
Wow... while I don't like unnecessarily throwing money out the window, I'd be concerned the quality of work one can expect for $100 given the complexity.
i went through some reviews online before I decided to go with them. We'll see
Old 01-25-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Thinkware F770 soon after I got the car and I do have a rear camera on the rear deck. It was between Thinkware and Blackvue because I want the parking mode function. I set the Thinkware to auto shut off when it detects battery power at 12.1v. Power came from fuse box with a tap-a-fuse. Need 1 power source which is ignition switchable, and another power source which is hot all the time. Cable ran up the A-pillar to the Thinkware main unit. The rear camera cable ran down a-pillar on the passenger side and tug along the bottom plastic trim piece to go to the rear deck.

Another option would be to go with a separate dashcam just for the rear and tap into the power source in the trunk. So instead of 1 SD card which has both front and back videos, you will have 2 separate sd cards.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dished out about $300 and finally I have my Thinkware F800 Pro hardwired. Cables are pretty much invisible. Neat job.
Also, Best Buy's Geek Squad guy failed to figure out how to do so as the car's a completely new model and he had absolutely no references. Tried my luck at another place at Tukwila, WA. They too were struggling to figure things out but after a whole day at the shop, they got it done.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by prashanth1337
Dished out about $300 and finally I have my Thinkware F800 Pro hardwired. Cables are pretty much invisible. Neat job.
Also, Best Buy's Geek Squad guy failed to figure out how to do so as the car's a completely new model and he had absolutely no references. Tried my luck at another place at Tukwila, WA. They too were struggling to figure things out but after a whole day at the shop, they got it done.
Nice, so did it end up costing 300 total for the dash cam plus install. So it seems bestbuy is a ok place to get a dash cam installed.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by comptr
Nice, so did it end up costing 300 total for the dash cam plus install. So it seems bestbuy is a ok place to get a dash cam installed.
$450 for front + rear thinkware and another $300 for the install. $750 total. I am not really an expert with electrical stuff, and in order to enable parking mode in thinkware, it's gotta be hardwired. $300 didn't seem too bad especially after seeing that they had to take a whole day to get it done.
I tried best buy first, the guy could not figure things out as the car's a brand new model and he did not have any reference to help him with the install.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by prashanth1337
$450 for front + rear thinkware and another $300 for the install. $750 total. I am not really an expert with electrical stuff, and in order to enable parking mode in thinkware, it's gotta be hardwired. $300 didn't seem too bad especially after seeing that they had to take a whole day to get it done.
I tried best buy first, the guy could not figure things out as the car's a brand new model and he did not have any reference to help him with the install.
Ahh ok, Well My Best Buy insists they can do the install. So I will give them a try and see if they can do it.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car is already packed with cameras.. I wish Audi would just offer a DVR option. Record 24 hour loop front and rear with ability to view recordings in car, or offload via WiFi & SD card.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I got bought a Thinkware F770 from blackboxmycar. I am having a local car audio shop install it for 120-130.00. Does this sound reasonable for a front and rear dash cam install ?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I think based on the responses here that's a great price.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
l. (The main impediment to visibility is the huge friggin US headrests, but I cannot see myself paying $1000 for the European market ones).
I simply removed all 3 rear headrests and stored them in plastic bags in the basement. I never carried rear seat passengers in my A3 over 12 years, and I probably won't in this car either. Rear visibility is much improved. If go for a rear camera, I'll probably just install another Viofo A119S in back. Not sure about parking mode though.. Current draw over the summer when I'm on the bike most of the time might be a problem.

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ rear dashcam?