Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
They just started doing that last year. Audi will start charging you monthly for individual features. Want HUD to work? Pay for it for it separately. Want adaptive headlights? Pay for it separately. BMW is going down this road too. Regardless of the payment structure, they weren't charging for Apple Car play when I had my BMW's and the mobile app still worked flawlessly.
With cars nowadays pretty much a giant computer, I can see car makers heading towards the same direction software makers have, going to a full subscription model (e.g. Adobe Cloud). You will no longer be able to just buy a fixed set of perpetual features when you purchase your car. Instead, you will have to pay a monthly or yearly subscription fee for every premium feature other than the basic features that exist on a 1980 Ford Taurus (speedometer, blinkers, etc.) with the promise that you'll get a set of software update on a regular basis to enhance your diving experience.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
With cars nowadays pretty much a giant computer, I can see car makers heading towards the same direction software makers have, going to a full subscription model (e.g. Adobe Cloud). You will no longer be able to just buy a fixed set of perpetual features when you purchase your car. Instead, you will have to pay a monthly or yearly subscription fee for every premium feature other than the basic features that exist on a 1980 Ford Taurus (speedometer, blinkers, etc.) with the promise that you'll get a set of software update on a regular basis to enhance your diving experience.
^^^ this...its a perpetual revenue stream.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
I understand all of that. You can update your BMW(new 3 series and X3 and X5 and X6 and 7 series) OTA. I understand a subscription based service is very lucrative, but I think it's a horrible idea.

Originally Posted by emacS5
^^^ this...its a perpetual revenue stream.
Yes, I don't agree with the the model. The entire tech industry is heading towards subscription based services.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
I understand all of that. You can update your BMW(new 3 series and X3 and X5 and X6 and 7 series) OTA. I understand a subscription based service is very lucrative, but I think it's a horrible idea.

Yes, I don't agree with the the model. The entire tech industry is heading towards subscription based services.
People want updates and constant support. All this development isn't free. It's a revenue stream for the companies and enhances the experience for the car owner. I think it's a great idea.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
People want updates and constant support. All this development isn't free. It's a revenue stream for the companies and enhances the experience for the car owner. I think it's a great idea.
That's what R&D budgets are for, though. These companies manufactures aren't hurting. They make significant margins on every car they sell.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I would love to continue the service, but Audi has a serious problem regarding price to value.
Once you add in the unlimited data, or a data plan + the Audi Connect subscription charges we're talking about $40 - $50+/month.
That is 4x the cost of a Sirius subscription, 10x the cost of a Pandora subscription, etc..
Basicaly, I could add every possible app subscription I can think of using my phone, and STILL be cheaper than Audi Connect, because my phone already has unlimited data.
The only difference between Audi Connect and what I can do myself is adding traffic and stop-light assist..... for $50/freaking month.

Personally, I think Audi is double dipping.
We've paid for this feature to be in our cars (not all packages include these options).
So now that we've paid $2k-$3k for the feature, we're gonna have to add another $40-$50/month to our car payment to USE the feature?

Not a reasonable business model - it's gouging.

Last edited by Thes6isWicked; 03-13-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm fine with paying a reasonable fee (Audi Connect is currently charging an unreasonable fee) for ongoing updates, but I would not pay a recurring fee to maintain basic functionality that was already included in the MSRP, such as paying for the HUD, VC, or something even more basic.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
I would love to continue the service, but Audi has a serious problem regarding price to value.

Yes, pretty much this. As has been said here before...YES, if a person can afford a $60-75K car, they can probably swing $50/month for online services. But just because we CAN swing it, doesnt mean we're stupid with our money.

It seems like Audi is stuck in the tech world of 5-7 years ago, when technology actually cost a decent penny to obtain. Now, many of the online functions can be had for much cheaper from other sources. Its absolutely a perceived value problem.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Well - you did nail it.
People who have money are USUALLY the most frugal and don’t spend “stupidly.”
If all of us here CAN afford to pay the $50/month, but choose not to - or better yet - CALL corporate and complain, we might get a response.

Originally Posted by emacS5
Yes, pretty much this. As has been said here before...YES, if a person can afford a $60-75K car, they can probably swing $50/month for online services. But just because we CAN swing it, doesnt mean we're stupid with our money.

It seems like Audi is stuck in the tech world of 5-7 years ago, when technology actually cost a decent penny to obtain. Now, many of the online functions can be had for much cheaper from other sources. Its absolutely a perceived value problem.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
Well - you did nail it.
People who have money are USUALLY the most frugal and don’t spend “stupidly.”
If all of us here CAN afford to pay the $50/month, but choose not to - or better yet - CALL corporate and complain, we might get a response.

+1

Quick Reply: Audi Connect