Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi needs to step up their factory performance options

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Simplistic succinct answer: Marketing!

Is it literally true that BMW and Merc bring out the low, medium, and high-performance models simultaneously?
No. M and AMG models usually have about a one year lag time.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As my friend says (about the "update" noted in the motorauthity.com news): All yak and no shack!

All this energy, time and money spent on what would appear to be "no update" other than the cosmetics. Now, the availability of the S4's seats is a big plus -- but the car gets no real performance upgrades. How about 280 HP (or how about the output of the S3 crammed into the "new" A4?) I recognize the value of form -- I know the styling is very important. But if you're going to imply "more" with the styling, why not give a bit more -- especially in the competition model? Then the S4 needs a goose too -- not a big goose, but a goose in power and torque that is at least meaningful to the Audi aficionado; even 5-8% more power and torque would be felt.

All yak and no shack indeed!
Not sure making the S4 seats available is the best marketing move, but it's nice. People that buy these cars buy them for exclusivity.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simplistic succinct answer: Marketing!

Is it literally true that BMW and Merc bring out the low, medium, and high-performance models simultaneously?
No, but as said above after one year we get the full bore AMG and M models with all the optional goodies available. Audi has at least a year before the S model comes out, and sometimes 2 in the U.S. compared to Europe. Than another year or two before the RS is available in the U.S. Also, coupes and sedans are available at the same time (M3/M4). Why the wait for the RS5 Sportback? Why not release the coupe and sportback together?

Look at the 3 series. The A3 came out in 2014. The S3 in 2015. Why do we wait until the 5th platform year for the RS3?
Old 06-30-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carbon fiber trim is not a performance mod. period. its not even the intended use of carbon fiber if someone was truly into performance.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
carbon fiber trim is not a performance mod. period. its not even the intended use of carbon fiber if someone was truly into performance.
Amen
Old 06-30-2018, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

C'mon, we all know that carbon fibre increases the top speed and the 0-60 times, too!

I have actually come to appreciate the brushed aluminum trim that is standard on the S4 Prestige, where I would like to see factory carbon fiber is just on the shift/console area. I drove the RS5 and the carbon fiber, standard, just looked TOO MUCH in the car -- although it did have a black leather interior. I wanted to slash my wrists it was so gloomy in the thing.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I love the carbon in the car.

Point is, Audi needs to step up their game in the 'performance' options that they provide customers. BMW and Mercedes are significantly ahead in their offerings. Things like a suade wheel with shift lights, carbon bits and pieces, and even 'performance suspension'. A missed opportunity. People want to keep their warranty.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 07-18-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Calling something "the Competition Package" and putting a pedal dress up kit, a flat-bottomed steering wheel, trim bits here and there, S4 seats, and MAYBE glitzy wheels and carbon fiber provides no "COMPETITIVE" pieces I can see or FEEL. MAYBE wider and stickier tires would help a bit, but even though such a change provides some small amount of real improvement in performance, I would think "the market" would expect a bump (even a little one) in HP and torque as almost a "given."

I know it doesn't help us S4 owners, but an A4+ designation with the A4 Competition Package (trim bits) AND the S3's motor seems about right. Then, of course, we would need an S4+ that bumped power and torque up by 25HP and 20 ft/lbs (at least that much for both, that is) which would kind of take the thing a half-step closer to the RS version without infringing too much on a full-blown RS.

The %, # and $ value of RS cars -- even if the spigot was opened wide (in terms of availability) -- is de minimis in terms of most dealerships and certainly most all sales reps. My rep says the RS cars will sell to a certain clientele, period. The dealership (two of them in Cincinnati each) will sell a dozen or so. The #1 rep at the dealership makes more money from the tax cuts enacted this year than he would from selling RS cars (unless he personally sold all 12 of the RS cars without help from any other rep).

The dealerships want the RS cars. But I suppose Acura dealers wanted the NSX, too -- but they can't live on the handful that are sold annually (either in terms of margin or commission).

Add a true "Competition" option on a "regular" A3, S3, A4, S4 and perhaps even Q5 and SQ5, and revenue will increase. Notice I didn't say "revenue would soar . . ." but it certainly would have at least as many takers as the "RS" versions -- I would anticipate more, frankly.

After I drove the RS5 (and drove it passionately), I just couldn't see +$22,000 for one over a similarly equipped "S". I'd pay $3-9K MORE for an S+ version, however, WITH the power increase along with some other "competition" bits and pieces. If I could get my S4 goosed a bit, I'd gladly pay for that. how about 380-385HP and 385 ft/lbs for instance? Then if the sport suspension option (from the RS car) would be offered at another $3K (with the oval tailpipes -- not fake and perhaps another wheel option) . . . instant tang! I could do without the carbon fiber bits, but they should still be offered, for a price.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Calling something "the Competition Package" and putting a pedal dress up kit, a flat-bottomed steering wheel, trim bits here and there, S4 seats, and MAYBE glitzy wheels and carbon fiber provides no "COMPETITIVE" pieces I can see or FEEL. MAYBE wider and stickier tires would help a bit, but even though such a change provides some small amount of real improvement in performance, I would think "the market" would expect a bump (even a little one) in HP and torque as almost a "given."

I know it doesn't help us S4 owners, but an A4+ designation with the A4 Competition Package (trim bits) AND the S3's motor seems about right. Then, of course, we would need an S4+ that bumped power and torque up by 25HP and 20 ft/lbs (at least that much for both, that is) which would kind of take the thing a half-step closer to the RS version without infringing too much on a full-blown RS.

The %, # and $ value of RS cars -- even if the spigot was opened wide (in terms of availability) -- is de minimis in terms of most dealerships and certainly most all sales reps. My rep says the RS cars will sell to a certain clientele, period. The dealership (two of them in Cincinnati each) will sell a dozen or so. The #1 rep at the dealership makes more money from the tax cuts enacted this year than he would from selling RS cars (unless he personally sold all 12 of the RS cars without help from any other rep).

The dealerships want the RS cars. But I suppose Acura dealers wanted the NSX, too -- but they can't live on the handful that are sold annually (either in terms of margin or commission).

Add a true "Competition" option on a "regular" A3, S3, A4, S4 and perhaps even Q5 and SQ5, and revenue will increase. Notice I didn't say "revenue would soar . . ." but it certainly would have at least as many takers as the "RS" versions -- I would anticipate more, frankly.

After I drove the RS5 (and drove it passionately), I just couldn't see +$22,000 for one over a similarly equipped "S". I'd pay $3-9K MORE for an S+ version, however, WITH the power increase along with some other "competition" bits and pieces. If I could get my S4 goosed a bit, I'd gladly pay for that. how about 380-385HP and 385 ft/lbs for instance? Then if the sport suspension option (from the RS car) would be offered at another $3K (with the oval tailpipes -- not fake and perhaps another wheel option) . . . instant tang! I could do without the carbon fiber bits, but they should still be offered, for a price.
Mark, your point where your S4 could potentially make 380 horsepower is exactly what I am taking about. BMW offered that with the M Performance Engine Kit. It would give 335/340 owners more power. You can option an M Suspension. Lower, firmer and sportier. Suade steering wheel with shift lights. These all fall under the 'performance' category. An exhaust is something I REALLY wish was offered. VAG is a massive company so I bet you it's feasible cost wise. I just don't know why they haven't when their competitors have for such a long time. It may sway my next car choice if things like this aren't available. I like to make my car 'mine'.

M and AMG cars both have their own clientele as well.

You can now make the M3 even more raw with an even more hardcore M Performance Suspension. I would have optioned it in a heartbeat along with the exhaust. I can also get an AMG Performance Suspension for the C43 AMG and an M Performance Suspension for the 340i.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 07-18-2018 at 12:30 PM.