Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi Tire Pressure Monitoring Outdated

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by peekyIL
Thanks John.
What system does A5 Sportback 2019 have ?
PURELY GUESSING — but I would say indirect as the 2019 RS5 is the only A5 / S5 / RS5 Series. But, this is only my guess!

According to someone who knows (posting earlier in this thread) Audi gets a LOT of $$$$ for their TPMS sensors.

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
They are ~$150 each from Audi. I'd rather check on my own for free.

— John
Old 04-08-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

RS5 sensor are $126 each

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ch/5q0907275b/
Old 04-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
That’s fine — but you have not included the costs of Receiver & Decoder to receive and decode the 4 / 5 TPMS sensor senders. And I doubt you could graft that into the existing MMI system successfully.

— John
Old 04-08-2019, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
They are ~$150 each from Audi. I'd rather check on my own for free.
Why would you buy direct from Audi when you can get the exact same thing for cheaper somewhere else? I mean unless you like throwing money away. I've found sensor for $30 on Amazon.

Again, these sensors would cost Audi pennies if they used on their lineup of cars. What's more frustrating is that BMW and Mercedes use them and they're priced exactly the same. Zero excuse other than Audi being cheap. Once a direct TPMS is installed, you don't have to get out of the car in the freezing cold or in the rain or in snow or in 100 degree heat to check a tire. Do it from the comfort of your seat in your heated or air conditioned Audi. Even with the RS cars, they are optional which in my opinion is BS. It's 2019. Things like this should be standard across the board.

These are small niggles but I don't know if I'll be purchasing another Audi. With premium segment cars, it really is in the details.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 04-08-2019 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lindsey Cianni (01-14-2021)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
X2!

Our Audi’s are designed for “Driving Enthusiasts” not old people (excluding a few of us) so be an enthusiast, buy a good, accurate tire gauge and check your tire pressures every couple of weeks.

— John
Audi's are not designed for 'Driving Enthusiasts' A car with 60% of its weight over the front does not scream 'driving enthusiast'. Weekend warrior, maybe. That's all I'll give it though.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Audi's are not designed for 'Driving Enthusiasts' A car with 60% of its weight over the front does not scream 'driving enthusiast'. Weekend warrior, maybe. That's all I'll give it though.
The Sportback does not have a 60/40 weight distribution. Neither does an R8 for that matter.

The majority of Audi owners globally are unlikely to want a direct TPMS fitted as standard equipment. By example, it is mandatory to change tyres / wheels between the seasons in much of Europe - a region twice the size of North America in Audi volume terms. As an option, fine, and Audi is rolling this option out in new models. The option price is around $250, this will vary a little from model to model, market to market.

As Audi USA dealers do not like long option lists (because most of their customers prefer to buy off the lot rather than factory ordering), it is possible that the option will not be made available in your specific market. Or if Audi of America feel that the majority of customers would prefer it, include it as standard equipment. Just like they do with, say, a sunroof.

And in the case of RS vehicles, the primary advantage of the direct system is monitoring tyre temperatures. Not for knowing you have a puncture - the indirect system is more reliable for that function. Of course, there is the convenience factor. At a guess, I would say the majority of owners never check their tyre pressures. At least with the direct system, some of these owners might remember now and then to bring up the MMI screen and have a look. But even then, probably only a minority would. And then that assumes that owners know what tyre pressures they should be using. How often on these forums do we read about owners using the maximum load capacity pressures on their lightly loaded cars? Rhetorical question - often.

But yes, Audi spare parts pricing is high. This should not be news

I agree that you have to watch the details going forward. All the manufacturers are cost cutting / chasing margins to fund the development stage of EV.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
That’s fine — but you have not included the costs of Receiver & Decoder to receive and decode the 4 / 5 TPMS sensor senders. And I doubt you could graft that into the existing MMI system successfully.

— John
I was just saying they were not a $20-$30 sensor. :-)

Last edited by Yoshimura; 04-09-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

The indirect TPMS has successfully alerted me each time I had a flat tire on my previous Audi and I am not afraid to perform the arduous task of checking and adjusting my tire pressure manually. I used to frequently switch wheels and I appreciated the passive system for its simplicity.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You have been drinking that BMW kool aid for too long my friend, weight distribution is not the only factor in how a car handles.

Why would you buy direct from Audi when you can get the exact same thing for cheaper somewhere else? I mean unless you like throwing money away. I've found sensor for $30 on Amazon.
Just took a look on Amazon and none of those $40 sensors fit the B9 S5. In addition to the 4 sensors, there is also the upfront cost of the receiver and the control unit.

Last edited by The G Man; 04-09-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Corvette with direct TPMS and an A5 SB with indirect. People on AudiWorld complain about indirect, people on Corvette Forum complain about direct. There's advantages and disadvantages to each. Neither one eliminates your responsibility to check tire pressures occasionally with a good gauge.

Quick Reply: Audi Tire Pressure Monitoring Outdated