Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 Disappointments/Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 649 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Would love to hear more about the rationale here. It is one of only things that has me baffled about the car, and I've never seen a similar thing in any other car (including a D4 S8 that had a similar massage feature to the B9). Why can't the lumbar simply stay set? It definitely does not seem temperature based IME.
The rationale I can't explain. Again I have my thoughts (either to preserve the longevity of the bladder or possible to help so that the seats aren't immediately subjected to the pressure). You would need to ask Audi why.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

The only issue I have in my car is that the drive mode select does NOT respect your "Individual" settings or, for that matter, the "Dynamic" settings.
The car definitely stays in the drive mode it was last in, however, in my vehicle - the sport exhaust is set to Dynamic in I mode, and is hard coded as such in Dynamic mode.
I have driven for HOURS with the car at running temps, cats warmed up etc., and it doesn't matter what drive select mode - "I" or "D", the sport exhaust flaps never open.
I have to cycle through the various drive modes to get the flaps to open.

AND yes, I'm already in sport transmission/engine map mode (pulling twice on the shifter).
The problem I'm describing here is directly related to the exhaust flaps, NOT the transmission mapping and rev matching on downshift.
I don't drive in any other mode, except on the freeway.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
The only issue I have in my car is that the drive mode select does NOT respect your "Individual" settings or, for that matter, the "Dynamic" settings.
The car definitely stays in the drive mode it was last in, however, in my vehicle - the sport exhaust is set to Dynamic in I mode, and is hard coded as such in Dynamic mode.
I have driven for HOURS with the car at running temps, cats warmed up etc., and it doesn't matter what drive select mode - "I" or "D", the sport exhaust flaps never open.

AND yes, I'm already in sport transmission/engine map mode (pulling twice on the shifter).
The problem I'm describing here is directly related to the exhaust flaps, NOT the transmission mapping and rev matching on downshift.
I've said it before, this is an issue with YOUR car, that you need to get looked at by the dealer. Mine certainly does not act like this (and I've had 3 different B9's).
Old 09-20-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

on what car?
Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Burrcold
I've said it before, this is an issue with YOUR car, that you need to get looked at by the dealer. Mine certainly does not act like this (and I've had 3 different B9's).
The forum title asks for gripes...
That's my gripe.
I can't possibly filter against everyone else's cars....
I understand that it's been discussed, but the fact that they can't find it and tell me it's normal, is essentially another gripe.

:-)
The following users liked this post:
Burrcold (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
on what car?
I have an 2018 RS5.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked

I saw something mentioned on another thread somewhere that the exhaust only uses more than one or two flaps unless in dynamic mode (transmission). Even if your exhaust is in dynamic mode when you start the car, because environmental regs require the car to start in D (regardless of what mode you have on when you start the car) your exhaust won’t truly be in dynamic mode until you cycle back through to get to dynamic mode.

i’m not 100% sure this is the case but it does seem that the transmission mode supersedes the exhaust mode because of this - at least that’s how I read the post. Wish I could find it but makes sense to me - not that you have to bother with switching things and the car not remembering your settings - that stinks but it is what it is - just the explanation about why the exhaust may not go into dynamic.

Just my $.02 worth about half that. . .
Old 09-21-2019, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

To get maximum sound and pops, do you have to be 1) in Dynamic mode AND 2) in S mode, or does it also work in Manual mode?
Old 09-21-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by belzebutt
To get maximum sound and pops, do you have to be 1) in Dynamic mode AND 2) in S mode, or does it also work in Manual mode?
Works in manual mode too.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

First time Audi buyer. Coming from BMW and Lexus. I've only had the car for 1500 miles but so far...
1. The MMI while very easy to navigate is utterly frustrating to work with. Might as well forget about using your voice to do anything. I have completely given up on using the GPS using voice. Dialing is 30% accurate. Writing on the MMI **** is great/really cool and a nice workaround but I wonder how it's gonna be now that they've taken it away.
2. Everything takes a second. Even the button to open the windows.
3. Throttle response. For a car with 450hp in Comfort mode I shouldn't need to mash the throttle to make a turn in an intersection.
4. No wheel locks on a 90k car?
5. The Cameras. They're wack. And whatever lens they're using makes it even more wack. But I like that I can turn it on and off whenever I need to even when not parking.
6. MMI again. Is there no way to display more than one thing on the screen? The screen size is bigger than my Lexus but it uses the screen inefficiently.
7. The Cameras activate anytime I'm close to something and then I can't dial or use the voice activation until it goes off.
8. EVERYTHING shows up on the main screen. If my passenger decides to adjust her seat. It shouldn't take over the screen. Drive mode changes should only show up in the virtual cockpit.

Anyway, these are more like things I hope AUDI improves and if I'm lucky, can get in a software update. Besides that great car and fabulous interior. No regrets.
The following users liked this post:
Slides (09-22-2019)

Quick Reply: B9 Disappointments/Gripes