Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 Disappointments/Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only ones that I agree with is the camera and the transmission jerkiness. The camera resolution is not very high and could definitely be better. Although everyone that sits in the car is impressed with it, but I think it is primarily due to the 360 view.

The transmission is pretty jerky at times and in certain gears it seems. I'm hoping the 034 trans mount will help with this. We will see.

The other issues, I don't have or don't see an issue. Transmission shifts well and varies greatly depending on throttle position. If you don't like it, you can always use the paddles.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

1. Rear view Camera quality sucks. Agree, resolution is below average and it easily gets blocked by water droplets
2. Transmission is jerky from time to time and can be lazy. I feel its jerky in 'S' slow in 'D' and perfect in 'M'.
3. Transmission holds gears too long. So long, sometimes the car sounds like it is going to stall. never really have this issue
4. Whoever designed the trunk should be fired. Every time it rains and I open the trunk, I get a trunk full of water. I think the sportback actually does a very nice job of channeling water away. Of course it only rains twice a year in San Diego so...YMMV
5. Mirrors fog up in the morning but when I switch on the heated mirrors, they don't turn on. never had this issue
6. LED headlights are not adaptive. I just wished they aimed a bit higher
7. I can barely see my cornering lights they're so dim. no issue for me
8. My infotainment system has a mind of its own sometimes. Such as?
9. My car seems to be chugging oil. My first 10K yes, I was a qt low at 9K and needed to top off before my 1st oil change. I'm surprised now that I'm at 16K and the oil meter shows max volume, no issues. We'll see.
10. Why can I not open my trunk when I kick when the doors are locked? I have the key on me. I have to unlock the doors and *then* kick to open. Took me awhile to find the sweet spot and right technique (center of bumper, slowly stick foot under bumper, then quickly pull foot straight back) but now i can get it to work first time every time.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SolventSolution
6. LED headlights are not adaptive. I just wished they aimed a bit higher
you can aim them higher yourself if you want

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2968494/page5/
Old 08-30-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenny
you can aim them higher yourself if you want

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2968494/page5/
Sweet! This is getting done this weekend.

Thank you
Old 08-30-2019, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
1. Rear view Camera quality sucks.
I have a prestige and think it’s actually pretty good. Not sure if different trims have different cameras??
2. Transmission is jerky from time to time and can be lazy.
Haven’t noticed but still in the break-in period. I would think this would have been apparent if it were an issue so maybe new builds have an update to the transmission Software? Built in July.
3. Transmission holds gears too long. So long, sometimes the car sounds like it is going to stall.
Haven’t noticed this issue either.
4. Whoever designed the trunk should be fired. Every time it rains and I open the trunk, I get a trunk full of water.
I have a sportback and have been in rain and just post car wash to get towels out to dry my car and, while there was a LOT of water that came off the hatch, none of it fell into the trunk. I thought I read somewhere that they improved the weatherstripping or something like that. Might be worth asking the dealer.
5. Mirrors fog up in the morning but when I switch on the heated mirrors, they don't turn on.
Havent had this issue yet so I can’t comment.
6. LED headlights are not adaptive.
Agreed, would have preferred adaptive headlights but mine are fine.
7. I can barely see my cornering lights they're so dim.
My cornering lights work really well. I was actually surprised when I first pulled into my neighborhood with no street lights.
8. My infotainment system has a mind of its own sometimes.
I’m sure you know how to do the reset (hold both side buttons up and press down on the wheel). Maybe try that. Or see if you need a software update. We’ve had some but minimal issues in 1.5 years+ on my wife’s Q5 - all solveable with a software update or reset - and I haven’t had any with my S5 yet (knocks on wood <1 month in)
9. My car seems to be chugging oil.
Mine is too new but will be watching for this.
10. Why can I not open my trunk when I kick when the doors are locked? I have the key on me. I have to unlock the doors and *then* kick to open
I find that if I target just under the sensors on either side it works every time. Soft, slow pendulum movement does the trick for me.

Hope some of this helps!

Last edited by audijk; 08-30-2019 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
-=Hot|Ice=- (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

The only thing from that list that actually bothers me is the transmission throttle lag, which definitely sucks. Other than that my #1 gripe, by far, which has caused me endless grief and over 30 days at the dealership and car audio shops are the ridiculous door rattles driving over bumps, and never ending buzzing/farting from the doors when playing music with bass. The dealership was utterly useless in fixing these issues, actually making them worse, and I've now spent upwards of $700 to date to have the doors stuffed with dynamat and open cell foam, which has eliminated much, but not all of the rattles and buzzing. The fact that I can't listen to any music in the 70-80hz range without distortion in my almost 70K car is beyond disappointing. It's really turned me off the brand.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ycore:
darksiboy (04-24-2021), mikemis (09-06-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps you guys should go on down to a Hyundai dealer and trade!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2ducs:
Mike (10-07-2022), skytop (09-08-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Love my car, but:
  • Worst implementation of auto start-stop I've ever driven. Motor cuts out at 2-3 mph--even the dealer service tech was appalled at the functionality, but confirmed that other S5s on the lot did the same. It's become habit to turn it off and I'm just going to code it off when I have the chance.
  • No storage space for the tire change kit. An absolute WTH on this one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zed 2.0:
BMWdud-e (09-13-2023), Slides (08-31-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
2. Transmission is jerky from time to time and can be lazy.
3. Transmission holds gears too long. So long, sometimes the car sounds like it is going to stall.
This is my only major issue with this car... the other minor issues I can live with.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe try wiping the old lens of the rear camera...

Quick Reply: B9 Disappointments/Gripes