Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

B9 Disappointments/Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoft
As I do too. See the thread I started yesterday for info about a retrofit.
I shouldn't have to retrofit it as a consumer. Mercedes would have NEVER let something like this happen. EVER. That's something that should have been engineered properly by the design team.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
I shouldn't have to retrofit it as a consumer. Mercedes would have NEVER let something like this happen. EVER. That's something that should have been engineered properly by the design team.
But I can't change the past and that's what the car came with. I'll disagree that it's the engineers fault. The direct TPMS was integrated into Audis by Audi engineers (in conjunction with the supplier Huf), but the indirect system is obviously less expensive so the bean counters got their way and we don't get it in the S5 only the RS5.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Not to be too snarky, but why don’t you move to Mercedes? From 18 months on this board you have continually listed faults and dislikes made comparisons to both Mercedes and BMW. It’s certainly your right to voice your opinion but if you have so many problems and complaints, pull up your pants and go lease / buy whatever “ideal” car suits your needs. If someone suggests a fix / workaround your reply is usually, “I shouldn’t have to do (whatever). Mercedes / BMW / Aston Martin has included that as standard.”

I just do not understand why someone with so many “issues” doesn’t sell / trade / turn-in early. Life is too short to let some of these issues annoy you.

As Always — YMMV — and it’s your car.

— John

(rant over)
The following users liked this post:
snafu_ (10-05-2022)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Not to be too snarky, but why don’t you move to Mercedes? From 18 months on this board you have continually listed faults and dislikes made comparisons to both Mercedes and BMW. It’s certainly your right to voice your opinion but if you have so many problems and complaints, pull up your pants and go lease / buy whatever “ideal” car suits your needs. If someone suggests a fix / workaround your reply is usually, “I shouldn’t have to do (whatever). Mercedes / BMW / Aston Martin has included that as standard.”

I just do not understand why someone with so many “issues” doesn’t sell / trade / turn-in early. Life is too short to let some of these issues annoy you.

— John

(rant over)
Some of us are stuck in a lease or other cost prohibitive situations.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 649 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Then why continue to visit an owner's "enthusiasts" forum? Just move on and hate your car until the lease is up...
Nikon1 (09-07-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Yet Mercedes would force me to take awful RFT and no spare tire. I greatly prefer indirect TPMS as an alternative.
Nikon1 (09-07-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

LOL! Or Audi recognized that a significant number of its customers run winter wheelsets and that its unnecessary to make people drop another $500 on a second set of TPMS sensors.
The following 4 users liked this post by Zed 2.0:
future S4 (12-07-2020), JD15 (09-06-2019), Nikon1 (09-07-2019), Pyrodan007 (04-22-2021)
Old 09-07-2019, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

— John

(rant over)
Because there is a cost behind it. I'll be leaving in about a year. Don't you worry. The point I was trying to make was that the other premium manufacturers don't let things like this fly. Why does it fly at Audi?

Originally Posted by Slides
Bingo.

Originally Posted by JD15
Yet Mercedes would force me to take awful RFT and no spare tire. I greatly prefer indirect TPMS as an alternative.
The current generation RFT's are fine. They've come a long way.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 09-07-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
LOL! Or Audi recognized that a significant number of its customers run winter wheelsets and that its unnecessary to make people drop another $500 on a second set of TPMS sensors.
Bingo. The last two cars I've had (Golf R, S5) have had the same basic TPMS system. As far as I am concerned, it has worked fine, and swapping wheels (which I did on the Golf, and haven't yet got around to on the Audi, but want to) is much easier that way. I've had direct TPMS systems before and while it has some benefits, it also imposes some costs. TANSTAAFL. For me, the only real drawback of the current indirect system is that it's entirely possible for all four tires to gradually lose air at the same rate, and the system will not kick in even when each tire is like six pounds low. But regular checking of the tires, which is something everyone should do anyhow, makes that rather a moot point.
JD15 (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 05:40 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Because there is a cost behind it. I'll be leaving in about a year. Don't you worry. The point I was trying to make was that the other premium manufacturers don't let things like this fly. Why does it fly at Audi?.
Trust me — I’m not concerned as to choice in cars / car brands — I’m just trying to understand your constant beating on the Audi brand. What are you looking for when you post up these “I Hate Audi Because . . .” threads? Validation that your view / problem is the only way?

As another member said a few posts up, this is an “enthusiast forum” for Audi owners — Personally, I cannot imagine what you are hoping to accomplish by raising your dislikes. When I read these types of threads — especially one like this about the lack of TPMS-direct, it just points out to me that you did not do your due diligence before leasing your S5.

I certainly hope you enjoy your next car and don’t find too many faults in whatever you choose.

— John
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
snafu_ (10-05-2022), Versprechen (09-08-2019)

Quick Reply: B9 Disappointments/Gripes