Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Broken passenger side window before delivery

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken passenger side window before delivery

Today I went to look at the new 2019 Audi A5 Cabriolet that I had factory ordered and that arrived recently at my dealer. After I was there my salesman told me they had some bad news. They just discovered it had been delivered with a broken passenger side window. They did not let me see the vehicle and I haven’t actually purchased it yet. The dealer gave me the impression they can replace the broken window easily. However, they must order the new window and then get it installed. Anyone have any opinions on this? How much of a risk do you think I am taking if I take delivery of this car after it is fixed? When I say “risk”, I don’t even know what risks, if any, I should be concerned with. It turns out they do have an almost identical vehicle that is still in port but should arrive in a couple of weeks. Should I try and purchase that vehicle instead or is the broken (I think shattered is a better description based on how they described it) window "no big deal" once it is replaced?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You have to decide for yourself how you'll feel about the car knowing that the window has been replaced (assuming it's Audi glass). Personally, I wouldn't care. They'll fix it. I had issues with my 2018 RS5 when I bought it and Audi Wynnewood took care of it all without question. Today, I love the heck out of my RS5.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by douglasjboehme
You have to decide for yourself how you'll feel about the car knowing that the window has been replaced (assuming it's Audi glass). Personally, I wouldn't care. They'll fix it. I had issues with my 2018 RS5 when I bought it and Audi Wynnewood took care of it all without question. Today, I love the heck out of my RS5.
Thanks for your thoughts. I have some concerns but I'm not sure they're legitimate. For example, is some of that broken glass in places that could cause problems. I will probably end up trusting that they replaced the glass appropriately and I will probably end up buying the vehicle after it is fixed. It's a little annoying to be talking about fixing a brand new car, but those things happen.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by sanfordrich
Today I went to look at the new 2019 Audi A5 Cabriolet that I had factory ordered and that arrived recently at my dealer. After I was there my salesman told me they had some bad news. They just discovered it had been delivered with a broken passenger side window. They did not let me see the vehicle and I haven’t actually purchased it yet. The dealer gave me the impression they can replace the broken window easily. However, they must order the new window and then get it installed. Anyone have any opinions on this? How much of a risk do you think I am taking if I take delivery of this car after it is fixed? When I say “risk”, I don’t even know what risks, if any, I should be concerned with. It turns out they do have an almost identical vehicle that is still in port but should arrive in a couple of weeks. Should I try and purchase that vehicle instead or is the broken (I think shattered is a better description based on how they described it) window "no big deal" once it is replaced?
I'd be more worried that they won't let you take a look at the car. Why could that be?
Old 01-03-2019, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MH62
I'd be more worried that they won't let you take a look at the car. Why could that be?
I missed that part. Why won't they let you see it? Maybe force the issue and say you won't buy it until you can see the damage.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MH62
That's a good point and also crossed my mind. I said in passing to my salesman that he probably didn't want me to see the vehicle with a broken window and he agreed. I kind of let it go. Normally they want a new car to make a good first impression and that would be hard to do with a missing window. I kind of understand that. Also, they probably had to clean it up after arriving and maybe the window problem stopped that process. Then again, maybe there was glass everywhere and it was a real mess. I guess I'll never know.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:24 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I factory ordered my 2018 A5, and if it arrived damaged I would demand to know how and when the damage occured. Unfortunately, if they're telling you it's just the passenger side window, it's probably more than that. What are they not telling you? Why haven't they shown you photos of the damage so you can determine if you want to buy the car? Doesn't smell right to me.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:01 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

There have been valid questions raised in the previous posts — but to me the question remains: Just how much do you trust your dealer? Do you already have an established relationship (purchased a previous car from them) or is this your first purchase there?

The fact that they “didn’t know the window was broken” before you got there raises some issues in my mind. I was at my dealership when my car was rolled off the delivery truck. The delivery team unzipped the white cover and did a quick, but thorough exam of the externals. I’m sure that a broken window would have raised an alarm at that point.

Just my two cents.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you buy the car, take a paint measuring tool and measure ALLL the body panels including the passenger door to see if they re painted it and didn't tell you. I wouldn't be surprised if they did and didn't tell you.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So, you don't even really know if the car is at the dealer or at a body shop somewhere since they won't let you see it. Sometimes there is damage to a vehicle and they fix and repaint it before delivery. If they won't let you see the car then I would not buy it. There must be more damage than they are letting on. Otherwise, why wouldn't they let you see the car if it's just a broken window. And fixing a window is not just replacing the glass, there are wires and motors and other things in the door so it has to be done perfectly. I understand that is will be under warranty but who needs the hassle. Sounds shady to me and you don't want to pay all that money and not get a perfect car.

Quick Reply: Broken passenger side window before delivery